Scott

I am moving file from old computer to new computer. I
have win98 on the old and winxp on the new. I am using
FAST. I only want to transfer outlook express folders and
email.

I am using custom transfer option. I remove everything
but .dbx files. When the transfer starts. It looks as
though it is transfering windows settings. I do not want
to transfer these as there is some problem with these on
my old computer.

How do I only move mail folders and the emails?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try this:
make a folder "Email" (or whatever) on your new XP harddrive - can be in any
partition, actually. Copy whatever .dbx (inbox.dbx etc) you want in the new
"Email" folder.
Next, open Outlook Express (I assume you use OE), Tools/Options/Maintenance
Tab/Store Folder/Change... and navigate to the "Email" folder.
Click "yes" and OE will use the .dbx files in the "Email" folder. ATTENTION!
You will loose (or rather not have available) the files that you already
have in OE. But that's no problem on a fresh install, or you can fwd to
yourself, then switch folders, then download - assuming you have only a few.
Michael

"scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am moving file from old computer to new computer. I
> have win98 on the old and winxp on the new. I am using
> FAST. I only want to transfer outlook express folders and
> email.
>
> I am using custom tranfer option. I remove everything
> but .dbx files. When the transfer starts. It looks as
> though it is transfering windows settings. I do not want
> to transfer these as there is some problem with these on
> my old computer.
>
> How do I only move mail folders and the emails?

You can also import the dbx files in OE, if you make a backup as described
by Michael.

File->Import->Messages

"Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> skrev i meddelandet
> Try this:
> make a folder "Email" (or whatever) on your new XP harddrive - can be in
any
> partition, actually. Copy whatever .dbx (inbox.dbx etc) you want in the
new
> "Email" folder.
> Next, open Outlook Express (I assume you use OE),
Tools/Options/Maintenance
> Tab/Store Folder/Change... and navigate to the "Email" folder.
> Click "yes" and OE will use the .dbx files in the "Email" folder.
ATTENTION!
> You will loose (or rather not have available) the files that you already
> have in OE. But that's no problem on a fresh install, or you can fwd to
> yourself, then switch folders, then download - assuming you have only a
few.
> Michael
>
> "scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am moving file from old computer to new computer. I
> > have win98 on the old and winxp on the new. I am using
> > FAST. I only want to transfer outlook express folders and
> > email.
> >
> > I am using custom tranfer option. I remove everything
> > but .dbx files. When the transfer starts. It looks as
> > though it is transfering windows settings. I do not want
> > to transfer these as there is some problem with these on
> > my old computer.
> >
> > How do I only move mail folders and the emails?

kelly

That and more:

From the user account that is already set up:

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Locate the following 4 branches of the Registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name

Right click on each branch above and select Export and save the REG files to
your hard drive.

For each account you want to have the same mail settings, log into that
account. Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT. Locate the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities branch, right click it and select Delete.
Next open Windows Explorer and locate the 4 REG files you saved above.
Double click each one and answer yes to the import prompt.

Now you can open OE in any of the User accounts, and all the settings,
accounts, will be the same.

This was tested with the Mail and News Store on a FAT32 drive. I can't
guarantee it will work on an NTFS drive.

Note: You will need to re-enter the passwords for mail and news group
accounts.

Note2: If you use Signatures, you should put them in a text file and change
OE's settings to use them. Signatures are often corrupted during the
import. This is due to the Unicode storage of the signatures in the
Registry.

Express Assist is a very easy to use utility to backup all of your Outlook
Express mail folders (including all attachments) as a single compressed,
backup file. You can easily restore one, all, or any selection, of the mail
folders saved in your backup file. In addition, you may synchronize your
current Outlook Express message folders with message folders saved in the
Express Assist backup.

More information here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#xp_oe

DBX Mail Extractor (MVP Steve Cochran)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Testaren" <test@test.se> wrote in message
> You can also import the dbx files in OE, if you make a backup as described
> by Michael.
>
> File->Import->Messages
>

> "Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> skrev i meddelandet
>> Try this:
>> make a folder "Email" (or whatever) on your new XP harddrive - can be in
> any
>> partition, actually. Copy whatever .dbx (inbox.dbx etc) you want in the
> new
>> "Email" folder.
>> Next, open Outlook Express (I assume you use OE),
> Tools/Options/Maintenance
>> Tab/Store Folder/Change... and navigate to the "Email" folder.
>> Click "yes" and OE will use the .dbx files in the "Email" folder.
> ATTENTION!
>> You will loose (or rather not have available) the files that you already
>> have in OE. But that's no problem on a fresh install, or you can fwd to
>> yourself, then switch folders, then download - assuming you have only a
> few.
>> Michael
>>
>> "scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am moving file from old computer to new computer. I
>> > have win98 on the old and winxp on the new. I am using
>> > FAST. I only want to transfer outlook express folders and
>> > email.
>> >
>> > I am using custom tranfer option. I remove everything
>> > but .dbx files. When the transfer starts. It looks as
>> > though it is transfering windows settings. I do not want
>> > to transfer these as there is some problem with these on
>> > my old computer.
>> >
>> > How do I only move mail folders and the emails?

You can export your email setup from OE, copy to your other computer and
import it into OE. This will save you from having to setup your email again.

Dannie