Sign in with
Your question

GPU Selection help for HTPC Repair

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2011 12:49:49 PM

Hello,

HDMI card installed in a friends HTPC has just died and is looking to replace it. Networks

are my thing, I havn't done system building for 10 years.

The system is a Sony Vaio VGX-XL1A
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGXXL1_mksp.pdf

Board: CUSTOM ASUSTek Computer INC. TALAS (945P Chipset)
It uses Sony Notebook drivers for some of the onboard functions.
CPU: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D 820 (2 Core)

HDD: SAMSUNG SP2004C (200GB 3.5" SATA)
RAID: Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller
Optical: MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8124

Network: Intel PRO/1000 PM
Wireless: Marvell Libertas 802.11g/b Wireless (CB35)

Other:
Firewire 400
IR
TOS Link
External eSATA 100 Disc Changer with DVD Burner

PSU: 289w and it has a special note that the +5v and +3.3v combined can't exceed 65 watts.

The PSU isn't a standard form factor so I unable to replace it with a beefier unit.

The original card was a fanless Low Profile ASUS GeForce 6200TC with HDMI out. The card was a custom version and supported analog outputs. We realize that those are unlikely to work with a new card. Interface is PCIe x16 1.0

Requirements:

HDMI out; Quiet; Low Profile; Reliable.

The primary use wil be watching TV or video from the 100 disk eSATA DVD changer/burner and from web streamed services such as NetFlix to a 1080p external display/projector.

Budget is about $50 I prefer not to deal with rebates but if I must, I will. It will be purchased this/next week from a company in the USA.

My bigest concerns are that the card be quiet and that it will fit in the case -- the

heatsink was fanless and was not wider than a normal card slot, the header is Low Profile.

I've read about 20 other threads here and on AVSforum but all of the cards they list are

either out of stock or discontinued because the threads were over 8 months old.

Your assistance is appreciated very much,
IG
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2011 1:19:28 PM

An AMD HD 6450 should work fine ...

m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
December 7, 2011 1:35:53 PM

The 5450 would be good, but I would say go with something along the lines of a 5570 or 6570. They do come in low profile guise, yet if you want cheap and no gaming potential at all, the 5450 (6450, badge engineering) would do you fine for an HTPC.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2011 2:00:58 PM

The HD6450 has UVD3 ...

m
l
December 7, 2011 8:46:52 PM

Wisecracker said:
An AMD HD 6450 should work fine ...

1. Do you have a link to one for sale that is passive and low profile? I took a few minutes to search just now and all I keep finding are reviews for ones with a fan.

2. I've seen several posts here that warn of an incompatability of x16 2.1 cards not working well in a x16 1.0 based slot. Instead they recomended a x16 2.0 version card. Have those issues been resolved? Are x16 2.0 cards even available?

3. Gaming is not a concern, not even on the radar. Put gaming out of your mind completely.

4. Blueray is not on the horizon.If my friend were looking at that, I'd suggest a new HTPC build and not think about putting money into this one.

Once again, thanks for your help,
IG
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2011 9:14:22 PM

1. HD6450 low profile cards without fans

2. I just upgraded from my old setup, but I was running a PCIe x16 2.1 card (HD6950) on a PCIe x16 1.0 motherboard (P965 chipset) without any issues. Of course I can't speak for every hardware combination out there.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:01:18 PM

igadget said:
1. Do you have a link to one for sale that is passive and low profile? I took a few minutes to search just now and all I keep finding are reviews for ones with a fan.

2. I've seen several posts here that warn of an incompatability of x16 2.1 cards not working well in a x16 1.0 based slot. Instead they recomended a x16 2.0 version card. Have those issues been resolved? Are x16 2.0 cards even available?

3. Gaming is not a concern, not even on the radar. Put gaming out of your mind completely.

4. Blueray is not on the horizon.If my friend were looking at that, I'd suggest a new HTPC build and not think about putting money into this one.

Once again, thanks for your help,
IG

The UVD3 wiki and the AMD 'Avivo' Media Codec Drivers (they, for some reason, make it really hard to find).

I s'pose it can happen, but I've never had PCIe compatibility issues -- I would tend to think there were other underlying issues such as driver not installed or conflict with previous drivers (not uninstalled completely).

Video card hardware acceleration is a bit more than simply BluRay. An HD5450, as noted above, will certainly work for you and save a few bucks, but the HD6450 with UVD3 adds Xvid & DivX decoding, and Flv (I think). If I remember correctly there were some hiccups with Silverlight/UVD3 they were ironing out, but I can't help yah there (don't use Silverlight).

The HD6450 would probably be the card to move forward into a new HTPC, anyway, at least until some new and improved super-duper faster bunny rabbit DVXA rears its ugly head - LOL

m
l
December 13, 2011 6:24:32 PM

Im probably going to go with the 5450, but that is really still pushing the power budget I have to woirk with. 289w is not a whole lot, and with the 65w limit on the +3.3 and +5 combined doesn't help

Two things I really wish were that the actual maximum draw of the card was listed rather than the minium powersupply wattage
I wish there were still GeForce 210 chipset devices around, that had a microsocpic foot print at 29w TH revies dont list that spec anymore though they were for a while.
m
l
December 18, 2011 5:39:33 PM

I havn.t forgotten about this.

power consumption is a big concern I found the power consumption under the GPU charts. I'll update and award this when I've put the card in.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 5:07:18 PM

There should be little, if any, difference in power consumption between the two video cards -- I'd take that chart with a grain of salt
m
l
December 26, 2011 4:08:49 AM

I received the card friday but didnt install it until later that night. I went with the ASUS EAH5450 Silent(AMD 5450). the system wont post with the card in. I tested to make sure it want the slot by putting in the old HDMI card that has bad memory and the system posted fine. If anyone else decides to go with this card I have an intel 945 chipset. Since the original card was a nvidia card I'll try one of those for my next try
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 2:58:06 PM

I'd say you got a bad card and shouldn't have been so frugal

:lol: 
m
l
January 3, 2012 10:37:42 PM

Update time. The Asus Nvidia GE210 Silent /DI/1GD3/V2(LP) arrived.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Some notes, the heatsink on this card is really large biger than it apears in the picture - larger than the adjacent slot.
I had to take out the adjacent TV Tuner card just to test fit the video card & make sure the system still booted. It does. The Driver installed with out issues.

Since I know the card works in the system I'll be trimming the heatsink back to allow it to fit in the space I have. I only need to loose about 1/5 off one end. The heatsink isn't square it has this wavy shape to it so most of the fins only need to loose about 1/8 of an inch (1-2 mm).

Wisecracker said:
I'd say you got a bad card and shouldn't have been so frugal

I'd say that it is dumb to put a gaming card into an older HTPC. Especially because I am not being frugal for no fan. This system needs to run completely silent. Just because you can no longer hear high freqency fan (white) noise doesnt mean the rest of us want to listen to it.

Also it is not a driver issue if the system fails to POST. That is a hardware resource conflict or incompatability. the other card failed to POST.
m
l
!