CPU temperature reaches 68-70*C

Tenshi24

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 @ 1.80GHz [OC to 2.35GHz] -- 1.32v [stock]
Stock Cooler
ASUS P5KL-AM/PS Motherboard

Hi, I'm extremely new to overclocking CPUs.

My mobo has this overclock profiles, i chose [overclock to 30%], just to be safe 'coz i don't want to mess my system up and i don't hav a replacement cpu. plus, the elders here will get mad at me if i mess the pc up. :na:

at 30mins ORTHOS stress test + net browsing [firefox], i get 70*C max, it plays around 65-70..
is it ok to leave it like this? because its overclocked, i think. thnks in adv. :D

Solution
A Coolermaster CM212 Hyper 212+ or Evo would be the recommendation.
They can usually be found for around $25-30 for the Hyper and $35 for the evo.
Should be equivalent in price in the Philippines.

Both are very, very good for their price and performance and highly recommended. You can even move them into your new i7 build when it comes!

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
E2160 should easily reach 3Ghz, even on a stock cooler! (not the low profile one, but one of the larger Pentium D8xx ones)

If you can only manage 2.35 and it gets that hot it means you have serious problem with your cooling system ( unventilated case, bad CPU cooler, improperly seated (aka, doesn't press/touch the CPU with the right force), etc. )

Stay off overclocking until discovering why your CPU is so hot.

Tenshi24

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Update: I reseated my heatsink, applied some cheap Thermal Compound (costs around $2.25, 3 grams. AS5 is not available here in our place, I'm in the Philippines btw.). Lowered the clock settings to 2.22GHz, 245:9. Still using stock voltages too. Used CoreTemp [Tj max @ 95 C] to monitor temperature. Heat lowered a bit, at least 63-65 at full load using ORTHOS. Idle temperatures are at 46-49 C. Room temperatures are at 33-35 C [The Philippines is damn hot]. :fou:

I know these people who say E2160 can easily reach 3.0GHz using stock cooling and stock voltages. But I can't even reach 2.35GHz without getting to 70 C. Feel a bit envious. :pfff:

Here's complete specs for ref:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 @ 1.80GHz --> 2.22GHz [Stock Voltage]
Stock Intel Cooler
Zumax 800w PSU
ASUS P5KL-AM/PS Motherboard
3GB RAM DDR2 667MHz [2GB+1GB]
Powercolor Radeon HD5670 1GB DDR3
WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm HDD 500GB SATA
LG DVD Rewriter 24x SATA
3 Additional Case Fans [2 Blow-in, 1 Blow-out]
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

It could be bad airflow in the case, or you just got a chip that can't overclock that well. Overclocking potential is never certain, CPUs are only tested up to their stock speeds, so anything past that is up to luck. Some people might be able to achieve 3GHz on the stock cooler at normal voltages, and some chips will need significant voltage bumps to get that same overclock, leading to more heat.

You seem to have plenty of fans, so airflow shouldn't be a huge problem unless it is a very badly designed case. I'd say if you want to push that CPU further, get an aftermarket cooler. It could be that your particular E2160 just runs hotter than some of the others, or your stock cooler is just not up to the task.

Tenshi24

Honorable
May 13, 2012
maybe you got it. it's true CPUs are not all made identical, meaning some have different builds though they share the same name and model.
i guess that partly explains it.

but haven't tried an aftermarket cooler yet.
im on a tight budget this month, only have Php 800 equivalent to approx. $20 :sweat:
i don't know if i could buy a decent cooler with that. suggestions? then i'll check if it is available here in our place :(

also planning to change the CPU with a used core 2 quad q8200. i'll be using this PC as a dummy after the i7 package arrives [still pretty soon though]. :D
but i think i still need a decent cooler. :cry:

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
A Coolermaster CM212 Hyper 212+ or Evo would be the recommendation.
They can usually be found for around $25-30 for the Hyper and $35 for the evo.
Should be equivalent in price in the Philippines.

Both are very, very good for their price and performance and highly recommended. You can even move them into your new i7 build when it comes!

Solution

Tenshi24

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Tht's wht I've been waiting for. So it's not dangerous. :3 Anyways, I'll still go and get a decent CPU Cooler, Intel Stock Coolers suck here because of too hot room temp. Thanks for all of your replies people.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
seems a little strange you guys are making such a fuss over those temps while stress testing using an old CPU - these things can take quite high temps
These CPU's do not start thermal throttling till about 95c - the Tj. Max

The Tcase max temp of 73.3c for this CPU is Not the max core temp for the CPU
Tcase = max recommended temp in the top center of the IHS underneath your heatsink -
Core Temps are usually about 10c higher or so

His speed might not be a huge OC yet, but his volts are pretty high already - enough maybe for a full OC to the peak of this things capabilities

Tenshi24, that CPU has a vcore range of 0.85 - 1.5v - it is possible if lucky you could make an OC of 3GHz with vore 1.32v - maybe a little more
each CPU is a little different and based on production batch testing(? I believe) they have their default vcore set...
so is possible you could even try lowering your vcore and testing stability - with some lower temps

Sure the temps you are running are above average, but you have a stock cooler in a very hot room, should be fine for some time running at well below recommended max temp on a stress test.
I could not have given better advice on an updated cooler, was a good recommendation I would take up when you can.
-still need to make sure your case is expelling the hot air sufficiently also of course

I am using the early version of that cooler - the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 which in its time was pretty good

essentially nothing to worry too much about there, though no one likes to have temps that high ideally.
long term High temps can lead to a Slow decrease in the life of a CPU - so a better cooler would not hurt ;)

I have been using my Q6600 @ OC's of 3 - 3.6GHz for years now with half that time running folding@home (stresses the CPU almost as much as stress testing apps) temps of 78c on warm summer days
with stress testing Prim95 temps of up to 87c without raising my fans to noisy levels

also previous CPU's folding @ max OCs and never had a CPU fail - you are most likely to upgrade years before such an issue becomes relevant at all

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Why do you have a 800w psu? You don't even need 500w.