Sign in with
Your question

Small Managed network question

Last response: in Networking
February 23, 2011 8:17:06 PM

The small business I work for are attempting to set up multiple test rigs for our products. Each test rig consists of 4 computers in there own network of IP addresses. We will have 3 test stations with identical IP addresses.

We will have 3 employees connected to a switch that will be connected to a managed switch. This managed switch will have 3 switches off of that going to each of the 3 test stations. Sounds like a big mess in text.

multiple employees PCs
|
|
Each connected to one switch
|
|
Ethernet to managed switch
|
|
3 Switches or Hubs
|
|
Each switch goes to a group of 4 computers running there own network
Each group is running the same for IP address

Basically how do we connect our PCs to the correct test station?
Will the IPs from the test stations interfere with each other?
Product suggestions are always welcome. we have not bought any switches for this mess yet. Thanks
February 23, 2011 9:32:43 PM

If you have two computers that have the same IP in the network you propose you will have connectivity problems.

You can have each mini-lan on its own subnet:

mini-lan_1
IP Range: 10.1.1.X
Subnet: 255.255.0.0

mini-lan_2
IP Range: 10.1.2.X
Subnet: 255.255.0.0

And so on...

Notice that the subnet has two 0 in it. What will now happen is each computer can talk to each other without a router, each network has the same .1 .2 .3 computers, but there are no collisions because they each have an individual IP address.

Any other servers or routers need to be setup with the same subnet, but they don't need to have the same 3'rd number of the IP.

I'd actually put them on 10.1.254.X so that there is a clear difference between the hosts and pc's.
m
l
February 25, 2011 3:31:26 AM

You could have the duplicate IP addresses if you setup a double nat situation and had a router for each group of PC's. It's very confusing to setup, but it can be done. Essentially your Employee PC's would know each of the test stations as a separate IP (but not real) IP address which would map to a group router, which then gets translated again to the actual IP address once within the group. Like I said it's confusing but it can be done... as far as the least confusing product to set this up... I really don't know... maybe iptables or one of the linux based firewall distros.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2011 10:52:51 AM

Double NAT will introduce problems of port mapping and other connectivity problems.

The real question becomes what connectivity do all of the LANs need with each other, and what connectivity do they need to common sources. If the OP can shed some light on those requirements, we wouldn't need to speculate on several vastly different network setups. Subnetting as I suggest would allow all computers to connect and communicate with each other using existing hardware, NAT (or double NAT) would require purchase of several additional routers.
m
l
February 26, 2011 3:42:33 AM

I agree double nat isn't a great solution but if he really <has> to do what he's stated... it will work.
m
l
!