Sign in with
Your question

My computer refuses to work properly after a power outtage

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2012 8:24:14 AM

First and foremost, I'd like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum.

I noticed the problem after a three day holiday. After I got home I noticed that my PC was powered off which is peculiar since I never turn my PC off, but I figured that there had been a minor power outage while I was away. I had tried turning my PC back on and at first everything seemed fine, then I noticed that Windows was running particularly slow and that the sound was off (it sounded more like white noise than sound). This led me to try and reboot my system which is where all the problems came to fruition.

My computer's fans turned on, the hard drive began spinning, and all the lights came on, but then after about 5 secs it would power down and attempt to restart again. This restart cycle persisted for about 2 minutes before my PC gave up all together. I again pressed the power button which successfully started my computer, but again the computer was very slow so I decided that it may have been a virus. I started a full system scan with Avast! but after 5 minutes and 21 seconds the computer abruptly shut down again. It again attempted it's restart loop and quit again after about 2 minutes. I pressed the power button again and it powered up very slowly and abruptly shut off again after about 5 minutes.

I asked my roommate if anything was wrong with his machine. He notified me that while he was out our landlord had come turned off our power to replace a light switch, and after he had returned home from work he too had experienced problems with his machine. His hadn't showed the same problems as mine, but it was responding very slowly. He said his machine was acting strangely for about 6 reboots, but now it's just very slow.

I'm really hoping that someone can give me some aid in fixing this issue.

I don't have time at this point to give you links to my components but I will give you a basic component list.

Motherboard: Biostar (T series) B3 Revision

Processor: Intel i5 2500k

Ram: G. Skill 8gb 1600MHz

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Black 750GB

GFX: XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB

I will certainly edit at a later time with a more precise parts list with links.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2012 12:40:32 PM

You may unplug your power supply and remove the motherboard battery for about one minute to reset the bios. Just carefully press on the tang metal that holds the battery down and let it pop up enough to remove it. If this doesn't get your board to post, try another power supply.
February 6, 2012 1:04:43 PM

Thank you,

I actually haven't tried your solution as of yet, but I did take my PC completely apart and blow all the dust out of it, and after that it seems to be working the way I remember it, so for now, I'm not going to mess with anything, but should it act up again I certainly will.
!