Will these components be ok?

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello everyone.

My current PC is on its last leg and Im trying to build a new one. I dont have a lot of money to put towards the PC so Im pretty restricted. As much as I would love to do an i5 or i7 system, its just not possible with my budget. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if what I plan to purchase will be sufficient for my needs.

I already have a Radeon HD 6870 1gb video card and a 500gb SATA hard drive that Im going to use. Heres the rest of the parts.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375772

CPU: FX 8120 Black Edition http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375765

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0359910

Micro Center has the CPU and Motherboard combo for $200 right now.

I do use my PC for gaming, but only a few games. I mainly play Star Wars The Old Republic, Team Fortress 2, and some RTS games (Star Craft and older ones). I have a monitor that I keep at a resolution of 1920x1080. Other then gaming the PC is using for your basics; Internet, Email, Music, etc...

So having that information, do you think that a PC with the parts I mentioned would be ok for me.

Id really appreciate any info that can be provided for me.

Thanks.

e56imfg

Distinguished
No, no. Do NOT go for a faildozer. Get a i3 2100 and upgrade to IB later or a i5 2400 and stick to that. Don't buy AMD CPUs anymore, they're out of the CPU market. Even the i3 can beat the 8120 in some tests. I doubt you're ever going to use 8 cores.
DONT BUY A FX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078 - i3 2100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074 - i5 2400

Here is a mobo for your Intel CPUs. I picked Z68 just in case you want to go for a K series IB later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Really? That bad huh? Dang, I was hoping to get the new PC this week. I dont want to go i3, which means going i5 as the next alternative. Guess Im going to have to wait a week or two for my next paycheck and build an i5 based system.

btw, I like that motherboard but my only concern is it doesnt appear to have front USB 3.0 support. I would really like that option available because I might get a case that supports it.

Uther39

Distinguished

While the above chaps are correct in what they say. i cant help but feel that $200 for that mobo and cpu is a good deal you would not be dissapointed with.

e56imfg

Distinguished

Yea, that mobo is great but try to get the P8Z68 instead of P67.

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Thats the one thing that has me looking at it over and over. The board is packed with features and Ive always had good results with AMD CPUS, but Ive been out of the loop for a while in terms of system builds so I just dont know what to expect.

I dont expect to be able to get the best system possible, because realistically I cant afford that, but I want something that will be good for a few years. I might just go Intel but I cant help but think that the CPU/Mobo combo is too good to pass up on. I even think, what if I built the AMD system, and in a year when my financial situation is better (I start a new job in 1 month) then I will just build an Intel system and give the AMD one to my kids.

Just so much to consider. I really hope I make a good choice.

e56imfg

Distinguished

Ok, for $200, that's a pretty good deal. If you have enough money to build another Intel system in the future, then go for this.
BTW, you might want to get a new CPU cooler since the stock cooler is loud and inefficient. The CM Evo will do fine.

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

I know it would be easy to say, ehhhh, and extra $*** will not make much of a difference, but to me it does right now. I would love to get a $200 or higher board, but considering an Intel build is already stretching my budget.

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
If the AMD system would be good for the price, then I just might stick with it then. It would also mean that I can build it this week rather then waiting. Who knows, maybe I will come into some money in the next few days and can do an Intel build, but I will see. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate the input.

for 350 dollars you can have an i5 2500k and a p67 motherboard 4 gigs of ddr3 1600
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) $25.99
ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155 $89.99
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $229.99
for a grand total of 345.97 with free shipping... from newegg.

which is a little cheaper than your amd setup which cost $357.97

so you can go straight for the i5 setup and if you want you can spend a little extra upgrading the ram to 8gigs for $39.99 so for literally $3 bux more you will get way way more performance. and a lot less headaches.

dont you just love maths sometimes???

seriously m8 it makes no sence to buy amd fx unless your already stuck with an am3+ motherboard which your not...

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Can you provide a link with the $50 off info?

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks so much. The decision gets harder. lol.

Oh, and I still have to pay a good amount extra compared to what I originally planned, and still might do, because the AMD CPU and Mobo are on sale as a bundle for only $200. I think many keep missing that part. If both combined were normal price, the by all means I would go with Intel. But its a pretty good savings going with the AMD.

e56imfg

Distinguished

Just get the AMD set up because you said it was only $200. People don't understand that you can get both the mobo and CPU for $200 which is, IMO, a great deal.

johnnydangerx2

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi all. I just wanted to let you guys know that I went with the AMD set. I have to say, for what I would consider a budget build, this PC is amazing. I know all the specs and benchmarks say Intel is better, but I am very happy with my build. Im thankful that some of you said since the price is right to go with the AMD. I do not regret it one bit.

I think something that really helps though is that I won a 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD and I installed that too. Ive never had a PC start up, open programs, and play games so quickly. Its awesome.

Thanks again for all the info you guys did provide.