Can I just upgrade or is a new build required?

Fumbles

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum to post this in, however I need some advice.

If I was to upgrade the Motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu etc in my PC would I need to also replace the other components in my pc?

I'm just trying to decide whether an upgrade can be done or if I'm looking at building a new rig from scratch.

This is my current set up

Motherboard - Fujitsu Siemens MS7379VP
CPU - Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 Ghz
Graphics Card - Radeon HD 5670 1024mb
Sound Card - AMD High Def Audio Device
Hard Drive - Seagate ST3500418AS 500Gb (SATA-300)
RAM - 3Gb Samsung M3 78T5663QZ3-CF7
OS - Win 7 64bit
DVD Drive - LG Electronics HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH10N ATA Device (SATA 150)

What I'm wanting to upgrade the MoBo, GPU, CPU and RAM to -

MoBo - Asus P6T WS Professional Motherboard
GPU - EVGA Nvidia GTX580 1536MB 384-Bit GDDR5 Graphics Card
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB (4 x 4GB)
CPU - Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155)

So basically I'm just after a straight answer; is it possible to upgrade the above 4 components without having to change HDD, DVD Driver etc etc etc (I am expecting to change PSU for the GPU though, that goes without saying). Apologize if this is a dumb question but I'm just starting to feel my way through this whole thing.

Cheers for your time guys :)

It is possible but not right and certainly not the best option.
When you change over from the C2Q to SB i7 you will need to reinstall the OS... to be able to perform optimally.
Secondly, you'll be changing over from AMD to Nvidia, again, requiring a laborious uninstall, reinstall of drivers and trouble shooting.

So it would really be a better option to just make a new rig altogether.

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
What's your budget for the upgrade/new build? I would make a new build, socket 775 is going to be totally and utterly irrelevant in a year's time/

You cannot use a s1366 motherboard with a s1155 cpu.......one would think that's common sense.

Yes you can upgrade the system, but the only thing your not buying new is a cdrom , case and hd, so why not just build a whole new system.

asnorton44

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
You may be able to just plug everything in and boot up Windows, I have before, not recommended but can be done. When I did it I booted up, reactivated, and reinstalled.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

I agree with alyoshka. The straight answer is yes it is possible and the upgrade looks sweet to me, however you will run into a bit of a mess trying to run everything off of your old OS data. I would suggest backing up whatever data you need and then performing a clean install of your OS and re installing essential programs.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
well then the answer to his question is yes it is a feasible upgrade. No need to replace other components unless they are overly dated.

Fumbles

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the response, I'm rather overwhelmed at how many responses have been posted in such a short space of time!

As for budget which was mentioned above, I don't really have one was basically just going to save up money until I had enough to upgrade/build a new one (not incrementally but all at the same time).

As for the windows install, I do realize that but thank you for mentioning it as it was only something I learned recently whilst doing my research! The other components I'm happy with to be honest and they don't seem to be showing any sign of age.

Verdict - I think I'll go and just upgrade unless building the new one from scratch is only going to be a little bit more. Also thank you for the heads up on the sockets, I'll make sure to double and triple check that one in future.

Thanks again for all your responses guys, it's very much appreciated!

;)

Fumbles

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Hi Mate,

Yeah I did, which is why I mentioned I'll take extra care in future with regards to the sockets etc :)

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
if you have a 500$ budget for upgrade, then get a new pc lol, i3 2120 setup or an athlon2x4/phenom2 x4 depending on your liking and preference

and a nice budget gpu like the gtx460/480 (if you can grab some) or the hd 6870