MY PSU EXPLODED WITH A 6850!

I am not lying. I am being very serious.
I was using a Radeon 6850 with a 350w Psu. The psu made a cracking sound and set on fire. Fortunately, all my computer components still work. Will a CoolerMaster eXtreme 500w be good enough to power my radeon 6850?
47 answers Last reply
More about exploded 6850
  1. You were using too low wattage of a PSU for that card, not only that but it probably wasn't very well made or anything like that either.

    And yes it will be.
  2. That is because the PSU is not reliable and too low. I like CX500 over the CM extreme 500W though.
  3. Helltech said:
    You were using too low wattage of a PSU for that card, not only that but it probably wasn't very well made or anything like that either.

    And yes it will be.


    Is a Diablotek 600w psu good?
  4. you will need at least 550w to be safe. using a 350w just shows a heinous lack of knowledge regarding PC design.

    If you are asking these fundamental questions you should probably get someone IRL to help you build your PC until you understand more about it before you burn out a few hundred £'s worth of hardware.

    and btw, your GFX card isn't the only factor in the wattage you use. I wont say a 600W will be enough because i have no idea what system you are using. Get someone to look at your PC for you who knows about this stuff and they can give you a definitive answer.
  5. scienceisfun91 said:
    Is a Diablotek 600w psu good?


    No. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Cooler Master (some), OCZ (some), PC Power and Cooling. Stick with those guys.


    Anonymous said:
    you will need at least 550w to be safe. using a 350w just shows a heinous lack of knowledge regarding PC design.

    If you are asking these fundamental questions you should probably get someone IRL to help you build your PC until you understand more about it before you burn out a few hundred £'s worth of hardware.

    and btw, your GFX card isn't the only factor in the wattage you use. I wont say a 600W will be enough because i have no idea what system you are using. Get someone to look at your PC for you who knows about this stuff and they can give you a definitive answer.



    450w of a quality brand PSU is more then sufficient for an average system with a 6850 unless he is doing some crazy ass overclock (which he obviously isn't)
  6. A 380W Antec Earthwatts would have no problem with a HD6850.

    Diablotek makes PSU-shaped objects. They should NEVER be attached to computer components if there is any chance they will be connected to an AC power source at the same time.
    The CM PSUs are extremely inefficient, and many were found by HardwareSecrets to be overrated.
    A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.
  7. AMD recommends for a 6850 a 500w psu : http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#3

    If you stick with a quality brand, you will get all the power you pay for.
    My short list of quality brands would include Seasonic, Antec XFX,Corsair, and PC P&C.

    It would not be wrong to overprovision your psu a bit so that it operates in the middle third of it's range. It will run cooler, quieter and be more efficient there.

    I think you will find that a quality 600-650 unit will not be much more expensive than a 500w unit.
    How about this Antec earthwatts green 650w unit for $70?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
  8. That is a good deal, although it isn't modular, so there will be a lot of extra cables to hide.
    Even though it's Antec, I wouldn't normally choose a 380W PSU for a HD6850, but if the budget is limited to $50, I would take it over any chokemax "600W" PSU any day.
    I agree that you'll get better efficiency by operating a PSU in the middle third of its range.
  9. Onus said:
    A 380W Antec Earthwatts would have no problem with a HD6850.

    Diablotek makes PSU-shaped objects. They should NEVER be attached to computer components if there is any chance they will be connected to an AC power source at the same time.
    The CM PSUs are extremely inefficient, and many were found by HardwareSecrets to be overrated.
    A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.


    Will this psu be good?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035
  10. scienceisfun91 said:
    I am not lying. I am being very serious.
    I was using a Radeon 6850 with a 350w Psu. The psu made a cracking sound and set on fire. Fortunately, all my computer components still work. Will a CoolerMaster eXtreme 500w be good enough to power my radeon 6850?



    It doesn't sound like you've learned your lesson. "Good enough" is not the question to ask about PSUs. Your whole rig depends upon having sufficient clean power under all environmental and loading conditions. My advice is to buy the biggest QUALITY PSU you can afford and not one that is barely big enough.
  11. scienceisfun91 said:


    Short answer. NO.

    1) The psu is underpowered for a 650w unit. The specs do not list the available amps combined for the +12v rails. It is most certainly less than 22 +22 amps available on each of the two rails.

    2) Do some research, here is an exchange on the jonnyguru forums about this unit:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8285.html

    You will not find a quality 500w-600w psu for under $70. Do look for sales or rebates because the market is competitive.
  12. Looks like your budget is 50 dollars?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    Its not GREAT, and by far not the best Corsair unit, but its good and in your budget.
  13. scienceisfun91 said:


    "A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. "

    The Corsair CX-500 would be a decent budget choice.
  14. CX500 for sure. It'll run no problem.

    Also, lesson learned? Just imagine if it took the rest of your components with it (very possible). Don't screw around when it comes to PSUs.
  15. No. Just get CX500, 50 after Mail-in-Rebate
  16. I've gone through the exact same lesson here too. Swapped in an old generic PSU for an Antec EA500. Assuming your budget is under 50, I would recommend this PSU here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

    Its only 430W, but it should be more than enough for your current set up. Also take note; a quality 500W active PFC, 80plus PSU should be MORE than enough in running ANY single-core GPU set-up. Case in point here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvv-pisUhkg
  17. Hi. Yesterday. I posted a thread about how my PSU exploded with a Radeon 6850 on a 350W PSU. It's true :(

    So yesterday. I found this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

    It has an 80+ certification and it is a 630w. Here are my specs

    Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6 GHz
    Radeon 6850
    6Gb Ram.

    I'm guessing it will work. I don't have extensive things in my computer.
  18. This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
    PSU Exlposion Update
  19. Mousemonkey said:
    This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
    PSU Exlposion Update


    Why did you merge the thread? I wanted to start fresh.
  20. scienceisfun91 said:
    Why did you merge the thread? I wanted to start fresh.


    Just follow mousemonkey. He is the moderator and know more than you.
  21. scienceisfun91 said:
    Why did you merge the thread? I wanted to start fresh.

    I don't think you need two open threads on the same subject.
  22. Mousemonkey said:
    I don't think you need two open threads on the same subject.


    :D very smart sir.
  23. Mousemonkey said:
    I don't think you need two open threads on the same subject.


    Ok. But will this PSU be good?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=18qysbgie9gra

    Please reply. Thanks
  24. scienceisfun91 said:

    I've never used a Rosewill PSU and I don't have a 6850, so I don't know.
  25. scienceisfun91 said:


    Should be well more than enough. Kind of overkill with a single GPU core arrangement IMO. Probably even more than enough to crossfire two 6850's;;;
  26. As noted on its page, that PSU received an excellent review at HardwareSecrets. It would be a good choice.
  27. Hi. I have a Radeon 6850 and Pentium Dual Core E5300 and 6GB ram. Will this PSU be good?:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
  28. Hi. I have a Radeon 6850 and Pentium Dual Core E5300 and 6GB ram. Will this PSU be good?:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
  29. Yes, that PSU will run that card easily. But you might want to consider overclock that CPU, so it won't bottleneck the card.
  30. yes, it's got plenty power and from respectable manufacturer. you should be good with it.
  31. If you're spending 60 dollars you'd be better off with this in my opinion if you can deal with a mail in rebate.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    If you already that PSU you linked then yes it should run the card just fine.
  32. scienceisfun91 said:


    Yes it is pretty good. I believe it will supply 6850.
  33. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey
  34. This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
    Is this a good PSU for my Radeon 6850?
    Is this a good PSU for my Radeon 6850?
  35. acerace said:
    Yes, that PSU will run that card easily. But you might want to consider overclock that CPU, so it won't bottleneck the card.


    Is it possible to overclock a dell pc?
  36. No, dell has locked down motherboards.
  37. scienceisfun91 said:
    Is it possible to overclock a dell pc?


    NO :D
  38. wolfram23 said:
    No, dell has locked down motherboards.


    Is this a good PSU for my HD 6850? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

    Please be honest. I don't have a lot of money
  39. scienceisfun91 said:
    Is this a good PSU for my HD 6850? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

    Please be honest. I don't have a lot of money


    Yes it is good for 6850. I answer two time eh?
  40. refillable said:
    NO :D


    Is this a good PSU for my HD 6850? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817182200

    Please be honest. I don't have a lot of money
  41. scienceisfun91 said:
    Is this a good PSU for my HD 6850? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817182200

    Please be honest. I don't have a lot of money


    I was saying 'NO' to if 'dell motherboard has ability to overclock or not'

    And I say yes if ''this Rosewill PSU is good or not''

    Next time know how people use quotes and what their answer is for.
  42. How many times do you need people to tell you it's fine???
  43. wolfram23 said:
    How many times do you need people to tell you it's fine???


    I just want to make sure. Everybody has mood swings and bipolar disorders when it come to PSU's. So I want to make sure what I am Buying is worth it.
  44. scienceisfun91 said:
    I just want to make sure. Everybody has mood swings and bipolar disorders when it come to PSU's. So I want to make sure what I am Buying is worth it.



    I'd think that is a very good power supply, but then IMO, its a bit too much PSU, unless if you are planning on having TWO video cards on your system.

    If you want to save a bit of money, you can also buy this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034 ($39,99 after $10 MIR)

    Corsair and Antec have a very good reputations for reliability, and in almost all cases, the actual power of these PSU are capable of generating is MUCH higher than their labelled wattage.

    You don;t have to litsen to anyone here, but just make sure you get a PSU with Active PFC, and 80 plus efficiency. 400W+ should be fine for your configuration.
  45. wolfram23 said:
    How many times do you need people to tell you it's fine???


    About 100 times I guess
  46. Trust me, cheaping out on a PSU is THE WORST thing you can do, its like not buying smoke/burgalur for your house, maybe nothing will happen, but if it does, your screwed and it took some of your things with it

    I've had a psu that actually caught fire inside my case, had to run down and grab the fire extinguisher ... needless to say that pc was toast XC
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Cooler Master Graphics Product