Sign in with
Your question

Crashing/freezing

Last response: in Components
May 22, 2012 6:31:35 PM

ok.... sometimes my computer crashes randomly, even if im playing games it freezes then i have to hold down the power button to restart the pc. ive searched on google why it happens and ive come across that my registry keys are missing/damages so i downloaded registry cleaners etc... but it keeps on happening. do you guyz have any idea what the problem is???

More about : crashing freezing

May 22, 2012 10:17:53 PM

There are only about 500 possible reasons based on all the information you gave.

If you give some more information maybe I can narrow that down some more.

If you want a complete stab in the dark, buy a new PSU. A good one, like an XFX 650w.
May 22, 2012 10:35:30 PM

i would start by if you have 8g of ram to remove one stick.then run memtest to see if that dimm passes.if it does power down and swap dimms are run memtest again. I would also open the case and check that dust has not clogged any fans. dust clogs can make your pc over heat. you can also run fan speed or hardware monitor to watch power supply voltage and cpu and gpu temps.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 11:16:37 PM

did you get a BSOD?
May 23, 2012 12:25:00 AM

It is common for Windows 7 PCs not to get BSODs, btw. The default setting afaik is not to show a BSOD and just restart right away.
May 23, 2012 1:31:12 PM

its a dual core CPU, gt210 GPU, 4GB ram integral, 450w PSU with new gaming case (bought 22/05/2012) and tell me if you need more info. thanks
May 23, 2012 1:35:10 PM

Did the PSU come with the case?

What is the maker and model of both the case and the PSU? Both things should be pretty clearly written on the devices somewhere.
May 23, 2012 1:47:50 PM

i at collage at the moment but all i know its a generic PSU that was already fitted in the case, but ill have a look for you. i couldn't see any though but i shall have careful look
May 23, 2012 2:17:13 PM

The most common cause of freezing during game playing is a failing PSU.

It is especially common in cases that come with PSUs included.

Such cases usually have very poor quality PSUs included. The case makers figure if you are the type of person who wants high performance parts you aren't going to be buying the case + PSU combo in the first place so they target these things at the people who want things easy and simple. Those people don't usually have powerful computers.

It is a regular law of physics that you can read in any textbook that higher temperature metal makes it perform worse in terms of conductiveness and stuff like that.

Hot air rises. That is also in any regular physics textbook.

It is common for these low end Case + PSU combos to have PSUs mounted on the top (like 98% of the time or more) and what that means is the heat generated by the parts in the case rises up until it gets where the PSU is, then the PSU sucks it all in through the air intake fan, passes the hot air over the PSU components, and then sucks it out the back with the PSU exhaust fan.

This has the effect of increasing the strain on the components in the PSU above and beyond the strain that is already there from powering the computer.

So the PSU may be able to give out 450w at, say, 40c temperatures. If there is gaming going on and heat is being passed up into the PSU, the PSU internal temperature may rise to 45c. Then it might only be able to do 400w.

More gaming goes on and the heat keeps rising in the PSU and now it is up to 50c. Maybe now it can only provide 350w.

Say your PC is using a constant 351 watts of power for the components. As soon as that PSU drops down to a max load of 350w with the increased heat and the PC still wants 351w of juice, it will freeze the game.

Believe me this sort of problem is beyond common.

The best ways to combat this are
1) Have a case where the PSU attaches to the bottom. The heat goes up not down so it can't get sucked into the PSU which is only intaking air from the lowest point in the case.
2) Have more fans and more ventillation, especially on the top. The more airflow the faster the hot air can get out and the less the average temperature is in the case. So that is helpful even if the PSU is top mounted. That being said, most top mounted PSU cases tend not to have more fans and more ventillation in an effort to cut costs. Most of the time people who buy these sorts of cases don't need the extra airflow and don't want to pay more for it.
3) Get a high quality PSU. The brand name PSUs, like those made by the Seasonic Manufacturer (and sold under brand names like XFX, Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic's own brand name) are made with parts that can withstand much higher temperatures before the PSU performance suffers. A high quality top mounted PSU will survive under the heat strain much longer than the bargain basement sort of PSU that usually comes supplied with cases.

The optimal sort of gaming situation is to have a case like my PC-K59 with a bottom mounted PSU, a Seasonic made XFX PSU with plenty of wattage, and my case has 6 fans on it helping to get all the hot air out as quickly as possible.

This sort of setup can be pretty expensive (I probably paid about $130 for the case, fans, and PSU in total), but it performs just beautifully in gaming scenarios.

It basically works with physics rather than against it so physics helps me to have a better running PC rather than continually pushing it towards the breaking point.
May 23, 2012 2:53:41 PM

thanks for taking your time to write all that :) 
i had a PSU that was like 7 years old with all the components except the 450w PSU and the new case, and it wasn't often crashing. the only old thing that is really old is the hard drive which is about 6,7,8 years old. could that be the problem?
May 23, 2012 5:33:11 PM

It is possible that the hard drive is the case, but based on my experience with computers nothing would cause me to think it is any kind of likely.

Hard drives that are 6 - 8 years old are plenty of likely to fail, but they almost never demonstrate that they are failing like this.

The thing that almost always demonstrates it is failing exactly how you describe your problem is PSUs.

I don't know about any old PSUs you had that made it 7 years or the conditions surrounding that. Maybe it was very well built, or maybe the computer it was powering wasn't very demanding, or the PC didn't generate lots of heat or something else. Plenty of things can explain a PSU that lasted 7 years.

Not very many things can explain freezing in a game and not freezing other times other than a bad PSU.

Maybe that isn't it. It could be the motherboard, or a bad PSU, or bad drivers or something like that instead. I would just not bet on any of those things.

If the computer all of a sudden started having problems 2 days ago after you changed out the case it is very much likely that its related to the stuff that just changed.
May 23, 2012 7:52:48 PM

i asked my local computer expert who has a shop etc.. he says that it could be the hard drive or it can be my faulty windows xp. so i have given my PC to him and he is going to tell me, then im gonna pay him for fixing it. i really do appreciate all the effort you have put in to help me put. i really do and thanks.

I'll let you know what the actual problem is tommarow. THANKS
May 23, 2012 8:29:01 PM

It certainly does qualify as "very good".

The XFX Pro 650w Core is probably the absolute highest quality one available with 650w.
June 2, 2012 1:36:32 PM

thanks for the help, but its my hard drive that is failing. there are bad sectors in my hard drive and my hard drive is very weak
June 2, 2012 4:32:12 PM

That is too bad, hard drives are super expensive right now too.
June 3, 2012 10:21:47 AM

i bought a seagate barracuda 500gb for £49.84. and are they good hard drives
!