Hot and noisy XFX

leblarh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hello,
my grapich card xfx radeon 5770, is getting really hot really fast. how can i lower the temerauture, over a year, it's getting hotter and hotter, is the a way to lower it, i tried to clean, as much as i could without opening it, so what can i do further to keep it cool?
by the way, i have 3X 240mm and and 2x 120mm fans so cooling shouldn't be the problem.

How did you clean it? If you use a compressed gas can(air duster). Make sure you push air in both directions a few times to remove build up.

How hot are we talking(Idle in the low 40's to load in the high70's low 80s is normal) and is it the old stock cooler with the red fan(blower) on one side and a small vent at the back and side of the card?

XFX is very good for warranty, so if you think the cooler is defective in some way, get a hold of them and they should sort you out.

leblarh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
i tried to clean the fan with quetips, and actually it isnt the heat thats bothering me it's the noise it's makeing, but idle temp is 58 C. and the card has a red fan underneath.

bucknutty

Distinguished

That’s helpful… Why do people like you even bother to post? 60 at idle is a little hot but its not crazy. Many of those cards fan profiles slow the fan to like 20% to reduce noise.

You can use a program like MSI Afterburner to find out the temp of the card and the RPMs of the fan. Those cards normally hit 70s and 80s. If the card is hitting 90 and the fan is running slowly chances are the fan is dying. You can look into adopting a couple of regular case fans to the cooler like Toms did in their how to cool article that ran last month, or you can look at an aftermarket cooler.

Dont forget to look into a warranty repair before you mess with the cooler.

You can not just clean the fan with a qtip, but must also remove dust from the heatsink it self.

Does it look like the one to the far right or the one second from the far right? The newer 5770's had a heatsink closer to that of a 5750(but with more fins). cleaning is a bit different for each.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/24204-xfx-radeon-hd-5770-1gb-gddr5-review-2.html

After 50c the cards fan speeds up getting louder. I know for a fact some of the older 5770's had defective fans that are much louder then they should be(vibrations). XFX and others do send out replacements for those units.

I would not say XFX makes bad cards since they are reference AMD cards to begin with. Same parts different stickers.