Gtx 570 vs. radeon 6970-benchmarks confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbegust

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I just received my gtx 570 from new egg, but then started looking at the Radeon 6970. (probably shouldn't have) Anyway, I looked at the benchmarks to attempt to determine the better card to no avail. The gtx 570 performed better at some with the 6970 performing better at others. I know the 6970 is faster and has more memory, however the gtx 570 is 320 bit. does anyone have an opinion as to which card is better? I do game some-generally at 1920x1080. I guess I would like to know which card has the most longevity as well as which has better drivers, overclocking potential and temperature. Much thanks for any help!

Solution
They trade blows. Some games are made initially off of Nvidia cards (like Batman for example), while others are made originally from AMD cards. The 6970 and 570 trades blows with each other, neither is better than the other unless you take price into consideration. (Especially if you take the price of a 6950 that you can unlock to a 6970 into consideration).

In personal experience I've always had better luck with Nvidia drivers, but they both have their woes.

Helltech

Distinguished
They trade blows. Some games are made initially off of Nvidia cards (like Batman for example), while others are made originally from AMD cards. The 6970 and 570 trades blows with each other, neither is better than the other unless you take price into consideration. (Especially if you take the price of a 6950 that you can unlock to a 6970 into consideration).

In personal experience I've always had better luck with Nvidia drivers, but they both have their woes.

Solution
as said above, one is better in some games, the other is better for other games. You should have no problem with the gtx570 its a great card and will run pretty much all games maxed out at 1080p. the extra ram of the 6970 only really becomes usefull with really high resolutions, above 1080p, and only in some games.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
It's the story of graphics cards since the HD4 and GTX2 series. They hit back and forth, in one AMD leads and the other NVidia leads. It usually just depends on the game, or maturity of drivers. I think you'll be happy with the 570, it's very capable. Most of the time when they trade blows, it's only within a few FPS and not a play ability issue.

I can't vouch for "future proof" because every generation where the flagship doubles performance, I can't help myself but to upgrade. I'm currently on a 6950 with the shaders unlocked and very happy with it.

I am an AMD/ATI guy, because I always have trouble with NVidia drivers. Others don't.
Try it on, and if you don't like it, buy the 6970.

The two reference cards are very close in performance. In Guru3D's Game test Suite, in single card configuration, at 1920 x 1200, the 570 gets 524 fps in Guru3D's game test suite whereas the 6970 gets 526. The 2 fps difference hardly seems like anything to fret over.

However in SLI / CF we have a slightly different story......two 570s get 873 fps and two 6970's get 825 ..... about a 6% difference.

Driver wise, I think few would argue that nVidia holds an edge, especially in SLI versus CF situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.