HD5770 worked with XP but won't work now in VISTA

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2011 7:03:23 PM

I recently upgraded from one old computer to a less-old unit. My original comp was running XP and a pentium 4 processor. My Radeon HD 5770 worked great in it. I decided to upgraded and start using my wife's computer for gaming so I moved the HD5770 into hers with VISTA and now my games are freezing and stop responding after about 5-15 minutes. Crysis for example was perfectly fine on the XP machine but now freezes on the VISTA. I just don't get how it can be fine in one machine but not in another. I did a fresh install on the VISTA machine. Did all the updated through windows. It has a new hard drive and I moved my 550W power supply in as well. I'm using the latest drivers and all to no avail. Nothing I do fixes the problem. Is the card screwed? Or am I missing something?

Any help or thoughts would be great....

Brad

Basic Specs

HP Desktop
Windows VISTA 32 bit home edition
4 gB ram
2.8gz dual core AMD
New harddrive
HD5770 video card
RAidmax 550w power supply

More about : hd5770 worked work vista

a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2011 7:28:36 PM

Since you moved the card to another machine, you may want to run Driver Sweeper to rid the system of the previous video drivers. Then download and install the latest AMD 5770 drivers for VISTA.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2011 8:09:46 PM

Hi,

Is the card installed correctly ?

did you download the newest drivers on amd website?

Did you do all windows update (vista sp2?)

Your problem seems to be more related to vista more than anything else.

Freezing is usually related to overheating or poor driver (might want to try older drivers )

You know that with vista 32 bit, you only get 3 gb ram detected: was windows xp 64 bit ? (i doubt it)

Might want to look at event manager to see why game crash

m
l
December 14, 2011 12:04:02 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try Drive Sweeper as it was suggested by XFX support as well. The only other video adapter was the onboard video so I wouldn't think it would be the problem. The drivers are the most up to date. Only a few weeks old actually. Computer is up to date too. SP2 and everything in between. I've been doing some research and though this model video card is recommended here on Tom's, it seems to receive a lot of bad reviews and reports of similar issues to mine.
m
l
Related resources
!