Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

$3k max - gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 6, 2012 4:45:54 PM

I am looking to build a new gaming PC - I've received a lot of advice from the community, and I am grateful. :)  I am on the final step of choosing my build and would like a final opinion before I purchase.

The only 2 things I'm mildly concerned with is the Graphics card and the CPU Fan (both highlighted in Bold). I want to do 3 screens (hence the price on the monitors) with AMD's Eyefinity capability. I don't know if I should go for the card I chose x1 or x2 or forgo that card and choose a higher card (prefer not to pay over 400 for the individual card, I feel sick when I see a 600 card.) And the CPU Fan is gargantuan! Is that going to fit in the Level 10 GT case??? I'm buying all parts from Newegg.com.

Thanks in advance!


Begin Build Specs:

Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift ...
Item #: N82E16811133188
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$269.99
$249.99


MSI SATA Model DH-18D5S
Item #: N82E16827100066
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$17.99 Saving
$0.00 - free with case


Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148834
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$169.99


(3) Acer G215HVAbd Black 21.5" Full HD WideScreen LCD Monitors
Item #: N82E16824009306
Return Policy: Monitor Standard Return Policy
$359.97
($119.99 each)


HIS IceQ Turbo H697QT2G2M Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with ...
Item #: N82E16814161382
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$339.99




XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active ...
Item #: N82E16817207011
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$119.99


Logitech G19 Black USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard
Item #: N82E16823126053
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$40.00 Instant
$159.99


Cyborg CCB437080002/04/1 Black USB Wired Laser R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse
Item #: N82E16826102062
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$77.99


CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMP16GX3M4X1866C9
Item #: N82E16820233228
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$159.99


ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131790
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$15.00 Instant
$204.99


Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623i72700K
Item #: N82E16819115095
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$369.99


Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835709002
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$99.99



Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820226152
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
$154.99

Subtotal: $2,467.86

More about : max gaming

a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:05:36 PM

1) Get a SataIII SSD. Check Tom's articles on SSD's as to which are the fastest and then take your pick at your range.
2) For gaming with 3 displays, 7950 or 7970 is good, the 6970 doesn't have enough juice to do it.
So either $450 for the 7950 or $550 for the 7970. The 850W PSU will be fine even if you Crossfire.
They have the 3GB memory you need and enough juice to run the displays. Plus if you need more juice you can get an 2nd one for crossfire.
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:09:17 PM

you need to change the gpu from a 6970 to the newer 7970 and for a cooler i would suggest a cooler master h100
Score
0
Related resources
February 6, 2012 5:11:02 PM

The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 is about $35, it gives performance 3-5 C. off of the Phanteks. I agree with rvilkman, I say you should get a 7950 because it still outperforms the 580 and you can overclock it and it will perform like a 7970. I like the Corsair K series keyboards, I have the K60 + M60 and they are really good, keys are mechanical and high qual. The Tt case might look good, but it has limited functionality. Try the HAF 932, Corsair 600T/650D/800D or Antec 1100
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:11:29 PM

If you want better cooling the H80 is cheaper and better that the Phanteks, also quieter
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:11:35 PM

For gaming, the i7-2700k is a waste of money. Hyperthreading won't be utilized for a long time. Save $130 and get the i5-2500k. Use the money saved to get a gold certified power supply. Same with the ram. save the money and get 8gb, lower profile corsair. I highly suggest you look into mechanical keyboards. They are more accurate, have a better feel, and will cause less fatigue. Plus, there are a lot that are cheaper than the one you are planning to get. Another thing is that they last many times longer than rubber dome ones.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:11:57 PM

First off - $300 on peripherals is a huge waste of money, IMO. To me this is the least important part of a build.

On a build you really want to concentrate on getting the best case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, HD, everything else first. Get the peripherals last.

Here's how you spend $3K on a build:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II - $349.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII - $149.99
Motherboard: Intel BOXDX79SI - $269.99
CPU: 3.20 GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $599.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $159.99
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 - $109.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB - $159.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - $559.99
OS: Windows 7 Pro - $139.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK550 - $69.99
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24" HD Monitor - $219.99

Total: $2,804.99
T
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:12:34 PM

Yup, I agree with azeem. Nobody seems to trust me about this but I think the K60 + K90 are some of the best keyboards out there, get one.
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:13:19 PM

an Intel mobo and 16GB? That's an absurd build, you can get better
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:15:33 PM

My build :
i7-3930K
Sabertooth X79
8GB 1600 RAM
7950
HAF 932 / Antec 1100 / Corsair 650/800D
2TB WD Caviar Green
128 GB Crucial m4
Corsair HX1050
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:18:15 PM

angaddev said:
an Intel mobo and 16GB? That's an absurd build, you can get better


The Intel board has one of the best feature sets you can get for X79 for the price (the Rampage IV runs almost twice as much with the same features), plus I still stand by my claim about Intel boards and longevity as my D975 board that I bought six years ago is still running strong.

You also need a dedicated quad channel RAM kit for an X79 build (you can't use a dual channel kit), and after reading about the RAM modules on Tom's that was the one they recommended above all else.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:26:27 PM

I actually don't agree with your view g-unit. If you can get the best already, including the keyboard in the budget is not a big deal. I have done the same. With my $1800 I have managed to get a $105 keyboard fully mechanical, $150 in games, the best CPU for gaming, best Graphics Card, good PSU, MOBO, and other parts. With what I suggested he do, he can do the same.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:32:24 PM

azeem40 said:
I actually don't agree with your view g-unit. If you can get the best already, including the keyboard in the budget is not a big deal. I have done the same. With my $1800 I have managed to get a $105 keyboard fully mechanical, $150 in games, the best CPU for gaming, best Graphics Card, good PSU, MOBO, and other parts. With what I suggested he do, he can do the same.


I generally don't factor that stuff into any budget. You definitely have the right to disagree but to me I still think it does seem really pointless to spend $300 on peripherals when you could put that back into the hardware and get a more well rounded system, which will result in fewer upgrade hassles down the road. I generally like to play it safe with my builds and if I'm spending that much, I want to balance the hardware out rather than cut corners and get some hardware that isn't as good. $3K leaves you a lot of room to play around and get the best hardware you can get for the money and you certainly don't want to waste it on that kind of build. It's better to buy one part now and have it last for years then not have to spend hundreds on upgrades down the road.
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:34:36 PM

*I meant Caviar Black
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:34:37 PM

So you're saying regardless of budget you should buy the hardware before peripherals (minus the monitor)?
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:40:45 PM

lol, g-unit, for a guy who's spending 3k you got him a Pc Power and Cooling Psu. L.O.L.
For 3k I got a 2500k, Sniper2, 256GB SSD 3TB HDD, Hx1050 and a 7970 :p 
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:44:22 PM

PCPC is a good company...
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:47:31 PM

angaddev said:
lol, g-unit, for a guy who's spending 3k you got him a Pc Power and Cooling Psu. L.O.L.
For 3k I got a 2500k, Sniper2, 256GB SSD 3TB HDD, Hx1050 and a 7970 :p 


I tried to factor in a Corsair AX1200 and it ran the price way over budget.

Quote:
So you're saying regardless of budget you should buy the hardware before peripherals (minus the monitor)?


I count the monitor among the important hardware but about 80% of the build requests I've seen on here usually don't require one (most of the time it's because they already have one or they're using an HDTV). If they ask I try to include it. But the $150 keyboard and $90 mouse to me that's what isn't worth it. I know the analogy about using a Ferrari with Ford Fiesta controls but if you can get by with say a Logitech MK320 instead of the $130 keyboard, why not?
Score
0
February 6, 2012 5:48:53 PM

1200W?! What are you powering, a house?!
The HX1050 will be tha max he ever needs, it will power 3x 7950s
Score
0

Best solution

a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:55:00 PM

angaddev said:
1200W?! What are you powering, a house?!
The HX1050 will be tha max he ever needs, it will power 3x 7950s


How about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OK revised build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: Seasonic X1050 - $219.99
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro - $279.99
CPU: 3.20GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $599.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $159.99
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 - $109.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB - $159.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - $559.99
OS: Windows 7 Pro - $139.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK550 - $69.99
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24" HD Monitor - $219.99

Total: $2,712.89
Share
February 6, 2012 5:59:53 PM

I think the OP should ask that question... I have trouble saying a PSU is good if it's not a corsair, but Seasonic are good.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 5:59:58 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I tried to factor in a Corsair AX1200 and it ran the price way over budget.

Quote:
So you're saying regardless of budget you should buy the hardware before peripherals (minus the monitor)?


I count the monitor among the important hardware but about 80% of the build requests I've seen on here usually don't require one (most of the time it's because they already have one or they're using an HDTV). If they ask I try to include it. But the $150 keyboard and $90 mouse to me that's what isn't worth it. I know the analogy about using a Ferrari with Ford Fiesta controls but if you can get by with say a Logitech MK320 instead of the $130 keyboard, why not?

It depends on if you prefer mechanical or not. True there are some good ones at the price of the MK320, but I find spending the extra on a mechanical for better typing more useful.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 6:05:00 PM

angaddev said:
I think the OP should ask that question... I have trouble saying a PSU is good if it's not a corsair, but Seasonic are good.


The brands that I generally go to are Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Antec, and XFX. The ones that IMO are questionable are Thermaltake, Cougar, Enermax, and Cooler Master. Then there's the brands that are just flat out junk - Diablotek, Coolmax, Xclio, Compucase, and so on.

Quote:
It depends on if you prefer mechanical or not. True there are some good ones at the price of the MK320, but I find spending the extra on a mechanical for better typing more useful.


I think that's more of a personal preference thing. I try to go for more bang-for-buck friendly options and that's one area where I generally find it isn't.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 7:13:48 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The brands that I generally go to are Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Antec, and XFX. The ones that IMO are questionable are Thermaltake, Cougar, Enermax, and Cooler Master. Then there's the brands that are just flat out junk - Diablotek, Coolmax, Xclio, Compucase, and so on.

Quote:
It depends on if you prefer mechanical or not. True there are some good ones at the price of the MK320, but I find spending the extra on a mechanical for better typing more useful.


I think that's more of a personal preference thing. I try to go for more bang-for-buck friendly options and that's one area where I generally find it isn't.


Tiered list of PSU's.
Pretty much can't go wrong with any Tier1 PSU from that list. Tier2 works great as well esp if you have to stretch your buck further.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 7:16:50 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The brands that I generally go to are Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Antec, and XFX. The ones that IMO are questionable are Thermaltake, Cougar, Enermax, and Cooler Master. Then there's the brands that are just flat out junk - Diablotek, Coolmax, Xclio, Compucase, and so on.

Quote:
It depends on if you prefer mechanical or not. True there are some good ones at the price of the MK320, but I find spending the extra on a mechanical for better typing more useful.


I think that's more of a personal preference thing. I try to go for more bang-for-buck friendly options and that's one area where I generally find it isn't.

There is no harm done suggesting one to them. If he doesn't want one, he will simply not listen to the advice.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 7:18:47 PM

For keyboards mine and monitors i like to go to stores and try them out for a bit, generally gives you a better understanding of what feels good.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 7:21:06 PM

rvilkman said:
For keyboards mine and monitors i like to go to stores and try them out for a bit, generally gives you a better understanding of what feels good.


I'm actually kind of the same way - you can't really get a feel for a keyboard unless you try it first, and the "simulated" pictures on the monitors on Newegg don't really reflect the actual image quality.
Score
0
February 6, 2012 7:24:58 PM

heh, once again I'm stunned at the show of support by the community! Spending this kind of money isn't easy for me, but I want a great gaming pc that will last a long time to come. My concern about the 7970 is this. Will I have to buy any additional hardware to run the Eyefinity capability? There are a few games that we play here, for example, L4D2, BF3, COD3 etc.

Yes I like ALL suggestions! And I appreciate them. Personally I'm not one for mechanical keyboards, but its a great suggestion. I like the one I chose because of the features it offers, and a neat lcd screen to boot. I like the mouse because my hands are a bit bigger than most and I like that I can customize it to my hand.

Keep the recommendations coming, I'm changing some parts out with great recommendations! :D  Can't wait to finalize, i'm going to submit this build to Newegg tomorrow! :D 
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 7:25:32 PM

I am also gonna do that. :) 
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 7:33:47 PM

Shazma0527 said:
heh, once again I'm stunned at the show of support by the community! Spending this kind of money isn't easy for me, but I want a great gaming pc that will last a long time to come. My concern about the 7970 is this. Will I have to buy any additional hardware to run the Eyefinity capability? There are a few games that we play here, for example, L4D2, BF3, COD3 etc.

Yes I like ALL suggestions! And I appreciate them. Personally I'm not one for mechanical keyboards, but its a great suggestion. I like the one I chose because of the features it offers, and a neat lcd screen to boot. I like the mouse because my hands are a bit bigger than most and I like that I can customize it to my hand.

Keep the recommendations coming, I'm changing some parts out with great recommendations! :D  Can't wait to finalize, i'm going to submit this build to Newegg tomorrow! :D 


$3K will get you a PC that will last a long time with minimum or no upgrades involved. With the 7970 - out of the box it has 2 x DVI and 1 x HDMI, along with 1 x DP. You will be able to run three monitors as long as it adheres to one of those ports. Some non-reference designs like MSI or XFX have will include an additional DP or two. If you get a card like the Sapphire Flex you'll be able to run 3 x HDMI using the included DP adapters. For the most part you will not need to buy those as they will be included with the card, but if you do they're only like $10 - $15.
Score
0
a c 204 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 8:08:41 PM

A $3k system deserves one that can play Blue Rays
DVD Writer - $ 60 - Asus 24X DRW-24B3L w/ LS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lose the tall heat sinks.....they gonna hit ya CPU cooler and they don't do anything for cooling besidsd "looking cool" ..... also see no reason why you getting 16GB, 8GB more than fine for gaming rig

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-233-196^20-233-196-TS%2C20-233-186^20-233-186-TS%2C20-233-199^20-233-199-TS

I can't see a $3k box w/o CF or SLI ..... Here's a build I did recently for $2,998

Case - $ 270 - Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case Fan - $ 12 - Thermaltake Blue120 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU - $ 150 - Corsair HX850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - $ 200 - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU - $ 205 - Intel Core i7-2500K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler - $ 83 - Thermalright Silver Arrow http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11676/cpu-tri-77/Ther...
TIM - $ 5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM - $ 50 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (White) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - $ 230 - Asus GTX 560 900Mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - $ 230 - Asus GTX 560 900Mhz Same
HD - $ 130 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 64MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SSD - $ 350 - 256 GB Samsung 830 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...
DVD Writer - $ 58 - Asus Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Monitor - $ 290 - ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 120 Hz Monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Monitor - $ 290 - ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 120 Hz Monitor
Monitor - $ 290 - ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 120 Hz Monitor
Keyboard - $ 95 - Logitech G510 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


-The white case is $30 more, so ya save there.

-The Core Edition is a great 9.5 performance rated PSU, but a $3k box deserves a 10.0 The HX850 gives ya that..... I'm not fan of newegg's tiered list by the way ..... any list that doesn't have the Seasonic X series, Corsair HX series, Antec CP series in Tier 1 is off the mark. Look for jonnyguru 10.0 performance ratings for the very best.....9.5 is darn good.

-The Samsung SSD is tier 1 unit ... twice teh size and twice as fast as the one you have..... if not getting the 240/256 size to save money, stick with the 120/128 GB models in Tier 3 .... Samsung 830, Patriot Wildfire, Vertex 3 max IOPS, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmar...'

-The 2700k is great but if just for gaming, I'd rather see the cash spent else where

-Would like to see you w/ monitors that have smaller bezels, bigger screen, 120Hz and 3D capable.

-I used the Silver Arrow in that build but the Phanteks is the new king of the hill....and only about $10 more

-The twin 560's in there give ya 862 fps @ 1920 x 1200 ... the 6970 gives ya 526 fps. The 7950 / 7970s and soon to be released Kepler alternatives should be considered tho......but not just yet. the 79xx series still has too many CF issues to be considered ready for prime time....expect a 4 - 8 weeks for drivers to shake out.

Ya could consider one (1) 7950 / 7970 now and adding another once the CF driver issues get worked out but by that time, Revision A hardware will have cleared the market and we';ll be on to Revision B and we'll also be seeing Kepler which will provide an alternative or drive prices down a bit.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 8:20:00 PM

rvilkman said:
Tiered list of PSU's.
Pretty much can't go wrong with any Tier1 PSU from that list. Tier2 works great as well esp if you have to stretch your buck further.


That's probably the most accurate PSU manufacturer list I've seen yet - I had an Ultra PSU and it was a flat-out junk PSU - never worked when I ran my PC on anything but idle (games, BD-Rs, etc).

Quote:
A $3k system deserves one that can play Blue Rays
DVD Writer - $ 60 - Asus 24X DRW-24B3L w/ LS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135247


Not necessarily - depends on what the OP wants it to do. If they have a separate system for playing BD-Rs (Playstation, dedicated player) they don't really need it.

Quote:
Lose the tall heat sinks.....they gonna hit ya CPU cooler and they don't do anything for cooling besidsd "looking cool" ..... also see no reason why you getting 16GB, 8GB more than fine for gaming rig


I definitely agree with that but on an X79 system most dedicated quad channel kits are typically 4 x 4GB, I hesitate to recommend ones that are 2 x 2GB.

Quote:
-The Core Edition is a great 9.5 performance rated PSU, but a $3k box deserves a 10.0 The HX850 gives ya that..... I'm not fan of newegg's tiered list by the way ..... any list that doesn't have the Seasonic X series, Corsair HX series, Antec CP series in Tier 1 is off the mark. Look for jonnyguru 10.0 performance ratings for the very best.....9.5 is darn good.


That one did actually.

Quote:
Case - $ 270 - Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811133192


The Level 10, IMO, is *extremely* overrated. If you're gonna pay that kind of money for a case I'd rather pay the extra $50 and get the Cosmos II - much sleeker looking.

Quote:
-The Samsung SSD is tier 1 unit ... twice teh size and twice as fast as the one you have..... if not getting the 240/256 size to save money, stick with the 120/128 GB models in Tier 3 .... Samsung 830, Patriot Wildfire, Vertex 3 max IOPS, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe


I think 256GB SSDs are actually a waste of money right now. When they drop $100 - $150 then it will be worth it, besides you never want to load your SSD beyond 80% capacity or do anything to distort its' read-write times which will drastically decrease the lifespan of the drive. I try to get a small SSD and then store everything else on the 1TB - this will prolong the life of the drive significantly.
Score
0
February 6, 2012 9:14:12 PM

Quote:
I think 256GB SSDs are actually a waste of money right now. When they drop $100 - $150 then it will be worth it, besides you never want to load your SSD beyond 80% capacity or do anything to distort its' read-write times which will drastically decrease the lifespan of the drive. I try to get a small SSD and then store everything else on the 1TB - this will prolong the life of the drive significantly.


Agreed, i'm only getting the 120/128 because its for my OS. Everything else will go on the 2tb drive.

In regards to memory, whats the fastest I "should" put in it.. (i.e. best bang for the buck without being unecessary?)
Score
0
February 6, 2012 9:22:12 PM

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there thin bezel monitors in the 22" to 25" size?
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 9:24:58 PM

Shazma0527 said:
Quote:
I think 256GB SSDs are actually a waste of money right now. When they drop $100 - $150 then it will be worth it, besides you never want to load your SSD beyond 80% capacity or do anything to distort its' read-write times which will drastically decrease the lifespan of the drive. I try to get a small SSD and then store everything else on the 1TB - this will prolong the life of the drive significantly.


Agreed, i'm only getting the 120/128 because its for my OS. Everything else will go on the 2tb drive.

In regards to memory, whats the fastest I "should" put in it.. (i.e. best bang for the buck without being unecessary?)


Your memory is basically determined by what system you get. I know Intel frowns heavily on using RAM above a certain speed (I think right now it's 1333 but you could get away with 1600) on SB-based builds due to the memory controller being on the chip. On X79 I think you can go as high as 1866 and be fine. Anything above that is pretty much overkill - most motherboards including X79 and Z68 won't recognize speeds above 1866 without overclocking, and even if you do that has the potential to be warranty-voiding.

If you get a Z68-based build you will require dual channel RAM - which requires two sticks of RAM to function correctly. If you get X58 (outdated) you will need triple channel RAM (three sticks). Only the new X79 so far will use the quad channel RAM that I linked to that I know of, Ivy may use it but it's supposed to support existing motherboards so it may or may not.

Quote:
I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there thin bezel monitors in the 22" to 25" size?


I'm not sure what you mean - are you referring to thin-frame monitors like LED TVs or are you referring to something else?
Score
0
February 6, 2012 10:00:30 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean - are you referring to thin-frame monitors like LED TVs or are you referring to something else?


Yes the border around the monitor is a bezel :)  - I saw an ASUS one for almost 500 apiece, a bit too much for me. I was wondering if anyone knew off hand of any others in that size.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 10:02:26 PM

Shazma0527 said:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean - are you referring to thin-frame monitors like LED TVs or are you referring to something else?


Yes the border around the monitor is a bezel :)  - I saw an ASUS one for almost 500 apiece, a bit too much for me. I was wondering if anyone knew off hand of any others in that size.



That's kind of what I figured - do you have a link to said monitor so I can see the example of what you're talking about?
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 11:12:04 PM

These are probably the "easiest"
Samsung MD230X3 eyefinity setup $1470

At $1470 can't say it's cheap by any means, and the response time is sluggish in comparison to the better gaming monitors out there.
So I would just look around for the thinnest you can find and then build your own setup, generally there are ~0.5" or less bezels out there but not a whole lot
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 11:36:04 PM

Haanspree has monitors that have a thin bezel.
Score
0
a c 271 4 Gaming
February 6, 2012 11:39:25 PM

rvilkman said:
These are probably the "easiest"
Samsung MD230X3 eyefinity setup $1470

At $1470 can't say it's cheap by any means, and the response time is sluggish in comparison to the better gaming monitors out there.
So I would just look around for the thinnest you can find and then build your own setup, generally there are ~0.5" or less bezels out there but not a whole lot


That is ridiculously expensive when you could get 3 x LED 24" monitors at $219 a piece and then get this monitor stand to go with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
February 7, 2012 1:41:16 AM

+1 @ JackNaylorPE … no sense spending 3k on a gaming rig to huddle around 21" monitors. 3x23/24" is where you should be at for xfire/sli. Looks like you have plenty of head room to fit it in your budget.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 7, 2012 6:16:03 AM

g-unit1111 said:
That is ridiculously expensive when you could get 3 x LED 24" monitors at $219 a piece and then get this monitor stand to go with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Yeah I know it's expensive, just pointed out that there is such a thing out there. But indeed for under $1000 you can build one yourself.
Score
0
February 11, 2012 2:23:26 AM

Best answer selected by Shazma0527.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
February 11, 2012 11:01:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!