Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Painter 12, CS5 centered PC Build; How Many Cores, & How Much Memory?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Photoshop
  • Build
  • Memory
Last response: in CPUs
May 22, 2012 8:45:34 PM

Hello everybody.

In short I am looking for advice on a Painter 12.1 & Photoshop CS5 focused PC build, with almost no gaming use.

Three questions are at the bottom of this post and advice about any or all three is welcome.
I need advice from those that have already experiences and have come to some conclusions.

My primary goal would be for almost all watercolor brushes and any other hard processing operations in Painter & Photoshop be smooth with almost no lag.

I am and will be running Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

Without a doubt it will help moving to a SATA3 native mother board (up from SATA-2) will unlock the speed of my SATA-3 SSD and hard-drives. Memory would be upgraded from 4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM to either 8 or 16 GB of DDR3-1600. (Memory is cheap right now. Harddrives are expensive due to flooding in Asia, but still far less expensive than solid state drives. )
But the better CPU is particularly hard part to nail down.

From what I have gathered from Tom's Hardware, ZD-Net etc AMD CPUs and APUs are still a much better dollar value than Intel, and superior for multiple core utilization.

So three questions come to mind.

For a Painter 12.1 centric build which would perform best; an INTEL i5 generation 4 core CPU; or an AMD 8 core CPU, with either scenario running at the same 3Ghz?

Would Painter & Photoshop fully use 16 GB of memory vs just 8 GB working with very large files say, 1920x1080 at 300 ppi min, with 20 layers?

Would an AMD APUs with HD-6500 built in graphics chip given 3 gigs of system memory perform better than a descrete graphics card 1GB card?

I am expecting to build the PC about mid July 2012 but need to select my parts soon.

StephenC

More about : painter cs5 centered build cores memory

Best solution

a c 123 à CPUs
a b } Memory
May 23, 2012 12:45:39 AM

heres the thing amd 8 cores can only match the intel 4 cores like the 2500k and under when there using stock clocks.
as soon as you jump to the 4 core 8 thread cpus intels stretches out a lead that is hard for amd to catch and when you add in overclocking the gap just gets bigger.

if you want to be a fanboi and get an amd your literally throwing money away for less performance...
for things like photoshop/paint and the likes a 2600k is where to start as thats where intel takes back its performance crown on every app... jump to the 3930k and theres nothing in the amd arsenal that can compete...

gfx wise its an even battlefield... the 7970 and the gtx 670 trade blows so its price that should be the deciding factor. both cost and cost to run and the 7970 is the winner there. i would say get a firegl or quadro if your doing pro work but the reality is that they are very expensive for what you get and can easily be out performed in some areas by much cheaper general purpose cards...

just so you know i do the odd bit of corel paint myself and it still takes 10 seconds plus to add some effects (depending on pic size it can take much more, or a bit less) so going lower than my cpu i wouldn't recommend... and that means the a10... its a good all in 1 that will perform as well as some higher end laptops but really cant compete with a decent desktop...
Related resources
May 24, 2012 4:31:27 AM

Thank you HEXiT.

I read your post carefully and a few others around the net. I have decided to go with the i7-3770S, pretty cool at 65 watts and like all the i7, and none of the i5, it is hyperthreaded. Keeping my case, powersupply, OS and burner I am about $750 out the door www.NewEgg.com . It will take longer to save up the coin, but I think I will have a better shot at being satisfied with the results. The upgrade path not being stunted as the AMD F1, and a heck of a lot cooler and there fore quieter cinched the deal. In the mean time I think I will throw another 4 gig of ram in my box and hope it times well with its twins. G-Skill is pretty good that way. It will make a better gift PC for one of my lady friends.

StephenC

HEXiT said:
heres the thing amd 8 cores can only match the intel 4 cores like the 2500k and under when there using stock clocks.
as soon as you jump to the 4 core 8 thread cpus intels stretches out a lead that is hard for amd to catch and when you add in overclocking the gap just gets bigger.

if you want to be a fanboi and get an amd your literally throwing money away for less performance...
for things like photoshop/paint and the likes a 2600k is where to start as thats where intel takes back its performance crown on every app... jump to the 3930k and theres nothing in the amd arsenal that can compete...

gfx wise its an even battlefield... the 7970 and the gtx 670 trade blows so its price that should be the deciding factor. both cost and cost to run and the 7970 is the winner there. i would say get a firegl or quadro if your doing pro work but the reality is that they are very expensive for what you get and can easily be out performed in some areas by much cheaper general purpose cards...

just so you know i do the odd bit of corel paint myself and it still takes 10 seconds plus to add some effects (depending on pic size it can take much more, or a bit less) so going lower than my cpu i wouldn't recommend... and that means the a10... its a good all in 1 that will perform as well as some higher end laptops but really cant compete with a decent desktop...
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a b } Memory
May 25, 2012 3:22:58 AM

im surprised no 1 else has chipped in with more suggestions... but that is a decent cpu that will give great performance. but be aware if your gonna oc (im not sure how much or if you can with the S models) then you will need very good cooling. you can get some very decent air coolers with near silent 3rd party fans... and if you really want silent then fans with a fluid dynamic bearing is the way to go. they last longer than any other kind of bearing up to 300,000 hours on some models with comparable cfm ratings. if you get sleeve bearing and ball bearing fans there will be some noise and it will get louder the faster the fan goes...

also remember the higher the fans cfm the better and you want something that will give upwards of 75+ cfm to ensure cool running... (check out ryans fan roundup for some ideas)
m
l
May 25, 2012 8:13:12 AM

Thanks for the advice on the fans HEXiT. Sound good. I do not plan to overclock, not really my thing. I rarely have the money on hand to repair anything that gives out. I have manic type manic-depression so the low noise is a health benefit. Lower stimulus equals less meds.

Being an egg head, and having experience with PS & Painter is a rarity, so i was glad to get your response. If I asked over at Deviant I might get more responses, but I've made up my mind.

I spent a good part of the day setting up my custom workspace in Painter 12.1. I am surprised it performs so well with my 3 year old build. I have 68 brush categories installed, about a half a dozen of those are impasto. Skip Allen's brushes are very impressive and backward compatible in most cases.
Bristly Dabs, Cool Spring and thick Paint are the best for me. But I am just getting started. Skip's Brushes.

PainterTalk is the bigest Corel Painter community I have came across so far. You don't know of any good size Painter forums do you. Besides PainterFactory, but that one seems pretty lite.

I think I'll fix some chow and head over to Deviant Art, I'm a sculptor so I haven't been over that way in maybe a year.

StephenC
p.s. I just add a fluid dynamic bearing fan to my NewEgg build list.
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a b } Memory
May 25, 2012 7:31:51 PM

no m8 you have all the decent 1s i know about sorry. deviant will give good advice on some subjects but pc hardware isnt 1... you may get great responses but theres just as much chance of getting some no-nothing giving poor advice... its worth making a post but be-careful what you take away from it...
good luck...
m
l
May 25, 2012 10:45:38 PM

Thanks bud.
m
l
June 3, 2012 8:21:03 AM

Best answer selected by StephenWA.
m
l
!