Scanners - Auto Feed

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
Can someone recommend a photo quality "auto feed" scanner. Not a single page flatbed, something similiar to the HP 7490c (which is dated now).

Auburn9698

Champion
Slide/negative or print/document auto-feeding? How much you looking to spend?

What do need in a scanner, and what are you going to use it for? Is the 7490 lacking anything, or not performing in a way that you need?

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/16/03 09:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
Mostly documents, some pictures.

Less than a $1000.

The 7490 I think is over a year old.

I like what it offers, except no USB 2.0, though I do have SCSI.

Is it the best in its class under a $1000 - it doesn't seem to have any competition.

Auburn9698

Champion
Hmm, I know of scanners with USB 2.0, but no auto-feed, and vice versa. The 7490 seems to be one of the better models in that price range, dude. Sounds like you just have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Thought you were talking film scanners at first, which are a different beast.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/17/03 07:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
Actually, this guy I help gratis all the time with his firm's tech needs asked me if I needed any gear - so I told him I could use a good scanner.

I want a mult-feed, HP seems like the only ones so far I have found in my research, but thanks your the only one who has responded to me from a few different post sites.

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
Argh! It lost my post! I'll try typing it again...

I used to work for a company that had rooms full of file cabinets for closed client files. They had to store the files for seven years so they had a lot of files. I suggested getting a scanner with a paper feeder to scan closed files onto the hard drive in the future. When enough closed files are on the hard drive to fill a CD, then they could burn the CD. They would be able to put five rooms of file cabinets in a shoebox. With one scanner with a paper feeder, a nice computer, and a CD burner, they eliminated the need to lease more space, and by now they probably have two or three of those rooms available again.