Sign in with
Your question

win Xp and paswording shared folders...

Last response: in Windows XP
December 19, 2001 12:13:29 PM

Ok, my lab has a new Dell laptop to run some data collection equipment in the lab and I wanted to share the data files with others in the lab so I don't have to run zip disks down the hall every hour or so.
Problem is that there is no security tab under the folder properties like some of the help files suggest there should be so I can add a password. It's experimental data and scientist types get edgy about their data being freely accessed, and since the comps are all tied into the university's network, it's not very private to begin with. Any one know how to bring up this security tab??

Things were so much simpler under win 98....

"Oh... let's make every thing user friendly in xp, make it easier for them to do things and take away all those confusing options from the earlier windows versions...They are sharing the folders any way, they don't want paswords on them..."
Thanks a heap M$ or is it just Dell dumbing things down when they did the program installing? Either way....grrrr....

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
December 19, 2001 12:39:18 PM

in order to setup security as you mention, you need ntfs, I dont now how you managed it on 98, file sharing on a fat32 drive is either shared full, shared read only, or not shared, on ntfs you can specify access rights for individual users, i.e Joe bloggs can access a certain file/folder and do what he wants to it, but John Smith can only read but not make changes/add/delete files, you can specify rights for a folder, or individual file.
(and a shared fat32 drive is about as secure as a fart in a seive)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CALV on 12/19/01 09:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 20, 2001 1:40:08 PM

The file system is NTFS and I have seen what you are talking about with the different users and access privilages in win 2k at home and the 98 quip was a little blowing off of steam as when you share a folder you have the sharing options right in front of you...

But the problem is even logged in as an admin, there is NO tab with the security settings that you can alter for the different users. I right click on the file to be shared, go to sharing and security, and all I get are general, sharing, and customize tabs, NOTHING about security/user privilages. No little buttons to take me to advanced security options or what not...

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
Related resources
December 20, 2001 2:21:20 PM

your file system is definately ntfs?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
Anonymous
December 21, 2001 1:31:27 AM

If you're using NTFS you can get the security tab by opening windows explorer then go to tools/folder options/

Then choose the "view" tab. And at the bottom of the list un-check the "Use Simple File Sharing" option. THen you should have the security tab
December 21, 2001 5:46:11 AM

I read that the ntfs was a one way conversion. Is this true. I couldn't partion and format again and have my choice? If I am doing a dual boot with 98 and xp will this pose problems with 98?

Thanks
December 21, 2001 9:07:55 AM

windows 98 cannot see an ntfs drive
to go back to fat32, you need (as far as I know) a 3rd party disk tool such as partition magic, this works fine. remember though, if you change a drive to ntfs, when you boot into 98, drive letters may change, for example if you have C:=win98 fat32, D:=XP fat32 and E:storage fat32 and than converted D: to ntfs, windows 98 would see C: as usual, but D: would now be the storage partition as the ntfs partition wouldnt be there for win98.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
December 22, 2001 3:25:57 AM

Thanks calv!!!

That was excalty what i was looking for.
!