Port Forwarding Question

xdecker

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hey I have a question. I have a Netgear WGR614 and a Westel 610015 Modem and I'm trying to port forward. Someone considered me doing this:

""Get a cable and connect it to port 1 or 2 on your Router and to your pc,
Make sure you remove the static ip.
Go to you browser and type http://192.168.1.1
If all is good then you will get a page and i want you to configure it like what you see in this snapshot below.
netgear01.jpg

this is under your Basic Settings.

When that is finished, click Wireless Settings which is just above or Below the Basic Settings.
Change the Name SSID to your requirements say like Robin, that is what others will see as the wireless name.
Then the region according to you country or area (Optional).
For the Security options, you can select where it says WPA-PSK ****,
When that is enabled, you will be prompted to enter a Passphrase same as a password for you wireless clients.

For every page you finish configuring make sure you click Apply.
When you are done with all that, disconnect the cable from pc and connect that Lan cable to you LAN RJ-45 port or your Modem in something like this below.
image83518.gif

So that makes it connect and get the IPs from the Modem automatically and you are good to go.""

He considered me doing all that. I don't understand this part:
When you are done with all that, disconnect the cable from pc and connect that Lan cable to you LAN RJ-45 port or your Modem in something like this below.

Does he want me to unhook the ethernet cord from my computer, and hook it into the spot in the modem? Also, what do I put for Channel?

Thanks

Solution
You run an ethernet cable between the LAN port of the modem and WAN port of the router (usually labeled WAN). You then run another ethernet cable between the network adapter on your PC to any of the LAN ports on the router (usually labeled LAN1, LAN2, etc.).
Frankly, I'm a bit confused by the directions too. I think he's made it a bit more complicated than necessary.

[modem](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router]

You start w/ the above, right? In order to configure the router, he’s suggesting you use a wired connection between your PC and one of the router's LAN ports.

[modem](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[pc]

As long as your PC is configured to use DHCP (which is the default), and the router is using a DHCP server (also the default), your PC will automatically be configured and you should be able to connect to the router's web interface (usually http://192.168.1.1) and make your changes.

Once done, you can disconnect the wire between the PC and router, then make a wireless connection (presumably that's what you want, if not, leave the wire connected).

You run an ethernet cable between the LAN port of the modem and WAN port of the router (usually labeled WAN). You then run another ethernet cable between the network adapter on your PC to any of the LAN ports on the router (usually labeled LAN1, LAN2, etc.).

Solution

xdecker

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Is that what I do first, or after I set everything up? My setup is already how you described. My yellow ethernet cord is running from the lan port on the router to the wan port on the modem. That's how all of our computers connect to the internet.

You always maintain a wired connection between the modem and router, as described. ALWAYS.

The only reason the other guy also recommended a wired connection between the PC and router was because you were actively configuring it. It's more reliable to use wire rather than wireless, esp. if you're reconfiguring the wireless portions of the router (a mistake when changing the wireless settings might lock you out!). So after configuration is complete, it's your choice. Either continue using a wired connection between the PC and router, or eliminate it and use wireless.

You're overthinking the problem. Connect your PCs and other devices using wire or wireless, as necessary. For configuration of the router, you can use either a wire or wired connection, the same ones you use for day to day Internet access.

xdecker

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Ok tell me if I got this right or not.

1. Leave my router and modem setup as it is
2. Login my router
3. Go to Wireless settings and name the SSID to anything
4. Change the Channel to 06
5. Leave the mode a b and g
6. For Security Options select WPA-PSK
7. Click apply
8. Now enter a password for the clients
9. run an ethernet cable between the LAN port of the modem and WAN port of the router. then run another ethernet cable between the network adapter on your PC to any of the LAN ports on the router

Is that correct?

xdecker

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I did everything you said and I still can't port forward. Was I supposed to so something to my network settings after I configured it? Am I supposed to have a static IP, cause I don't.