My computer at work has Windows XP Pro and at home I have Windows XP Home. I
installed SP2 on both places yesterday. At work I lost the information in the
status bar that tells at what date a file was last changed. When I marked a
pdf file it said:
Type: Adobe Acrobat document Last changed xxx Size: xxx
Now it just shows Type and Size. At home everything works as before. As it
worked before I installed SP2 it has to do with that. This is something I
really miss, as I almost daily update our pdf database and then move all
invalid documents to another folder. As some of them have the same name, I
add the date the document was created to separate them. Now I have to open
every file to see what date I have printed on top of it, instead of just
marking it and reading it in the status bar. If someone could please help me
sort this out I would be eternally greatfull. Sorry for bad English and wrong
"computer terms" but I am from Sweden.

Lena

Lena wrote:
> My computer at work has Windows XP Pro and at home I have Windows XP
> Home. I installed SP2 on both places yesterday. At work I lost the
> information in the status bar that tells at what date a file was last
> changed. When I marked a pdf file it said:
> Type: Adobe Acrobat document Last changed xxx Size: xxx
> Now it just shows Type and Size. At home everything works as before.
> As it worked before I installed SP2 it has to do with that. This is
> something I really miss, as I almost daily update our pdf database
> and then move all invalid documents to another folder. As some of
> them have the same name, I add the date the document was created to
> separate them. Now I have to open every file to see what date I have
> printed on top of it, instead of just marking it and reading it in
> the status bar. If someone could please help me sort this out I would
> be eternally greatfull. Sorry for bad English and wrong "computer
> terms" but I am from Sweden.
>
> Lena

Lena

Not sure what may be causing this, but for a workaround, use the Details
View in your folders. You can right click the Column Header and select the
information you want displayed on the files. The advantage to this is that
the information for all files in the folder are displayed simultaneously
--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Thanks for the tip, but I can't use the detailed view, or the view where you
get a lot of info on the left hand of the window. The reason for that is that
I have too many folder-windows open for that. I am moving files from our pdf
database to other folders and need to have about 8 folder windows open to do
that. Either that or open and close windows all the time, but it's easier to
have them all open at the same time. That's why it was so smart to have the
Last changed info in the Status bar. I guess I will have to continue to open
each pdf file to get the info...

Lena

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Not sure what may be causing this, but for a workaround, use the Details
> View in your folders. You can right click the Column Header and select the
> information you want displayed on the files. The advantage to this is that
> the information for all files in the folder are displayed simultaneously
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Just another note:

Last changed is visible in the Status bar when I open a folder on my
harddrive. It's when I open a folder on any of our network drives that it has
disappeared.

Does that make any sense????

Lena

kelly

Hmm! See if this helps:

Go to Windows Explorer/View/Status Bar. Then go to Tools/Folder
Options/View/Apply to all folders. Works for IE as well.

Automated Edit

Enable Show Status Bar (Line 67)

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just another note:
>
> Last changed is visible in the Status bar when I open a folder on my
> harddrive. It's when I open a folder on any of our network drives that it
> has
> disappeared.
>
> Does that make any sense????
>
> Lena

I have a similar problem with other quirks .... status bar can be displayed
but the next time I open windows explorer it is gone despite locking toolbars
and closing the explorer window with the control key as suggested in google
searches.... not only that but prior to SP2 Windows explorer used to reopen
at the last used size and position now it comes up in a default (too small)
size and an undesired position on my screen .... really want a fix for this
problem and none of the standard things seem to work I feel their is some
registry tweak that has been corrupted and windows on its own can't fix it
with the normal view changes or the tools options changes PLEASE HELP

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hmm! See if this helps:
>
> Go to Windows Explorer/View/Status Bar. Then go to Tools/Folder
> Options/View/Apply to all folders. Works for IE as well.
>
> Automated Edit
>
> Enable Show Status Bar (Line 67)

> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just another note:
> >
> > Last changed is visible in the Status bar when I open a folder on my
> > harddrive. It's when I open a folder on any of our network drives that it
> > has
> > disappeared.
> >
> > Does that make any sense????
> >
> > Lena

"Edit, select all" the files in the folder - (for some reason you have to
select them all or it won't work)
then go to "View, Choose Details" and pick the items you want to show.

Court
> Lena wrote:
> > My computer at work has Windows XP Pro and at home I have Windows XP
> > Home. I installed SP2 on both places yesterday. At work I lost the
> > information in the status bar that tells at what date a file was last
> > changed. When I marked a pdf file it said:
> > Type: Adobe Acrobat document Last changed xxx Size: xxx
> > Now it just shows Type and Size. At home everything works as before.
> > As it worked before I installed SP2 it has to do with that. This is
> > something I really miss, as I almost daily update our pdf database
> > and then move all invalid documents to another folder. As some of
> > them have the same name, I add the date the document was created to
> > separate them. Now I have to open every file to see what date I have
> > printed on top of it, instead of just marking it and reading it in
> > the status bar. If someone could please help me sort this out I would
> > be eternally greatfull. Sorry for bad English and wrong "computer
> > terms" but I am from Sweden.
> >
> > Lena
>
> Lena

Kelly:
No, it didn't help, nor did the regchange.

Courtney:
That only helps if you have detailed view in the windows, I want List view
and the Last changed (or modified as it may be called in English) to show in
the Status bar.

Thanks anyway...

Lena

I may not have made it clear but I did all of that ... even used a Microsoft
Knowledge base suggestion to do it in the display / screen appearance of MY
Computer and again as suggested closed the Window(s) holding down the control
key at the same time (presumably to ensure the settings were saved) same
result every time I open windows explrorer it is at an undesired size,
position, and no status bar .... HOW CAN BILL DO THIS SEEMS LIKE THE MOST
BASIC THING IN AN OPERATING SYSTEM IS TO LET THE USER DISPLAY HIS FILES AND
STATUS THE WAY HE WISHES

"roger doger 4" wrote:

> I have a similar problem with other quirks .... status bar can be displayed
> but the next time I open windows explorer it is gone despite locking toolbars
> and closing the explorer window with the control key as suggested in google
> searches.... not only that but prior to SP2 Windows explorer used to reopen
> at the last used size and position now it comes up in a default (too small)
> size and an undesired position on my screen .... really want a fix for this
> problem and none of the standard things seem to work I feel their is some
> registry tweak that has been corrupted and windows on its own can't fix it
> with the normal view changes or the tools options changes PLEASE HELP
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
> > Hmm! See if this helps:
> >
> > Go to Windows Explorer/View/Status Bar. Then go to Tools/Folder
> > Options/View/Apply to all folders. Works for IE as well.
> >
> > Automated Edit
> >
> > Enable Show Status Bar (Line 67)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >
> > --
> > All the Best,
> > Kelly
> >
> > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> >
> > Troubleshooting Windows XP
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >

> > "Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just another note:
> > >
> > > Last changed is visible in the Status bar when I open a folder on my
> > > harddrive. It's when I open a folder on any of our network drives that it
> > > has
> > > disappeared.
> > >
> > > Does that make any sense????
> > >
> > > Lena

kelly

Roger, the control key doesn't work that way in XP. Stretch the window out
using the double arrows, then use File/Close or Exit. Reopen.

For the Status Bar:

Go to Windows Explorer/View/Status Bar. Then go to Tools/Folder
Options/View/Apply to all folders. Works for IE as well.

Add Tip and info:

By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
(200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently Used'
basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this to 8000
by adding this edit to the registry.

Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
--

"roger doger 4" <rogerdoger4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I may not have made it clear but I did all of that ... even used a
>Microsoft
> Knowledge base suggestion to do it in the display / screen appearance of
> MY
> Computer and again as suggested closed the Window(s) holding down the
> control
> key at the same time (presumably to ensure the settings were saved) same
> result every time I open windows explrorer it is at an undesired size,
> position, and no status bar .... HOW CAN BILL DO THIS SEEMS LIKE THE MOST
> BASIC THING IN AN OPERATING SYSTEM IS TO LET THE USER DISPLAY HIS FILES
> AND
> STATUS THE WAY HE WISHES
>
> "roger doger 4" wrote:
>
>> I have a similar problem with other quirks .... status bar can be
>> displayed
>> but the next time I open windows explorer it is gone despite locking
>> toolbars
>> and closing the explorer window with the control key as suggested in
>> google
>> searches.... not only that but prior to SP2 Windows explorer used to
>> reopen
>> at the last used size and position now it comes up in a default (too
>> small)
>> size and an undesired position on my screen .... really want a fix for
>> this
>> problem and none of the standard things seem to work I feel their is
>> some
>> registry tweak that has been corrupted and windows on its own can't fix
>> it
>> with the normal view changes or the tools options changes PLEASE HELP
>>
>> "Kelly" wrote:
>>
>> > Hmm! See if this helps:
>> >
>> > Go to Windows Explorer/View/Status Bar. Then go to Tools/Folder
>> > Options/View/Apply to all folders. Works for IE as well.
>> >
>> > Automated Edit
>> >
>> > Enable Show Status Bar (Line 67)
>> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>> >
>> > --
>> > All the Best,
>> > Kelly
>> >
>> > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
>> >
>> > Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>> >

>> > "Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I have done all of that as suggested in google searches including opening my
computer telling it to display the toolbar and then closing it while holding
down the control key .... it is very frustrating that Bill Gates most useful
program does not allow a user to configure the way he/she wishes it to be
displayed on their system....I think I have a corrupted registry entry that I
need to edit and/or delete because the suggested changes just don't take
..... perhaps instead of dwelling on the status bar not being displayed I
should stress the fact that each time I open "windows explorer" [not internet
explorer] it has a default size and position that I can't change ... used to
be prior to SP2 that it would open in the size and position that I last used
and closed it in

I hope I'm not boring or irritating any of the responders but this is really
getting to me Microsoft is certainly aware of this and has done nothing to
help ... I have even tried to open a "paid" query on there support center
without response .... guess since I'm a lone user and not some big corporate
license they don't care

Sincerely
Roger

"roger doger 4" wrote:

> I have a similar problem with other quirks .... status bar can be displayed
> but the next time I open windows explorer it is gone despite locking toolbars
> and closing the explorer window with the control key as suggested in google
> searches.... not only that but prior to SP2 Windows explorer used to reopen
> at the last used size and position now it comes up in a default (too small)
> size and an undesired position on my screen .... really want a fix for this
> problem and none of the standard things seem to work I feel their is some
> registry tweak that has been corrupted and windows on its own can't fix it
> with the normal view changes or the tools options changes PLEASE HELP
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
> > Hmm! See if this helps:
> >
> > Go to Windows Explorer/View/Status Bar. Then go to Tools/Folder
> > Options/View/Apply to all folders. Works for IE as well.
> >
> > Automated Edit
> >
> > Enable Show Status Bar (Line 67)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >
> > --
> > All the Best,
> > Kelly
> >
> > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> >
> > Troubleshooting Windows XP
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >

> > "Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just another note:
> > >
> > > Last changed is visible in the Status bar when I open a folder on my
> > > harddrive. It's when I open a folder on any of our network drives that it
> > > has
> > > disappeared.
> > >
> > > Does that make any sense????
> > >
> > > Lena

"roger doger 4" <rogerdoger4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| I have done all of that as suggested in google searches including opening my
| computer telling it to display the toolbar and then closing it while holding
| down the control key .... it is very frustrating that Bill Gates most useful
| program does not allow a user to configure the way he/she wishes it to be
| displayed on their system....I think I have a corrupted registry entry that I
| need to edit and/or delete because the suggested changes just don't take
| .... perhaps instead of dwelling on the status bar not being displayed I
| should stress the fact that each time I open "windows explorer" [not internet
| explorer] it has a default size and position that I can't change ... used to
| be prior to SP2 that it would open in the size and position that I last used
| and closed it in

Line 54,(Save Settings on Exit)

Save the .REG File to a hard disk.
Double click the .REG File; answer yes to the "Registry Editor" prompt.
(To view a REG file in Notepad, right click on the file, then select Edit.)

Then logoff, logon.