logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello,

Okay, I currently run a 650W PSU, my current rig is fairly low spec but I wanna make some upgrades some quite big!

My current load;

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
Intel i5 2500k
8GB DDR3 Kingston RAM
EVGA GTX460 SE
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
5400 RPM 640 + 200 GB HDD (Yeah bad but I'm waiting for prices to fall)
CoolerMaster TX3
3 Fans + case extras...
--------------------------------------------
Load with upgrades;

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
Intel i7 2700k (Probably going to over clock)
8GB DDR3 Kingston
MSI TwinFrozr III GTX570 (MAYBE 2)
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB HDD
(Not sure on cooler yet but it will probably be an all in 1 liquid)
5+ Fans + case extras...
--------------------------------------------
Like I say I run a 650W PSU, if I get all the upgrades in the second rig would I need a new PSU and with a bit of freedom for extras like more RAM and HDD's etc...

Thanks!

nna2

Distinguished
a 650W psu should be able to handle a gtx570+i7 with ease, but is it a good name brand, cause it could turn out to bite you if its a cheaper brand (which i learned first hand today lol)... it may seem fine at first, but if you wanna push its limits it may just give on you if its not a reputable brand

Not all PSUs are created equal....what is the make/model of your PSU? An SLI of GTX 570s requires a minimum 750W PSU with 53A on the 12V rails and four 75w PCIe power connectors. That does not account for any OC that you may want to accomplish....I would recommend 60A+ on the 12V rails to support your OCs; Amps on the 12V rails is more important than the watts rating.

logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012
My PSU is an 650W OCZ ZT Modular PSU, I use braided cables so any upgrade would really be for another OCZ.

nna2

Distinguished
that will do good, but i agree, i would stick with the i5 and just overclock (CM hyper 212 +/evo is a good budget one, h80/h100 are really good liquid coolers)

The OCZ ZT 650W with 54A on the 12V rail is sufficient for a system with a single GTX570 and OCs on the CPU/GPU.

Your PSU is electrically sufficient to run two GTX 570s in a 2-way SLI, but lacks two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors. While it is sufficient to run the system, it does not have significant headroom for OCs on the CPU or GPUs. If you want to attempt OCs with this setup, then I would OC in small increments and test for stability with each OC.