Sign in with
Your question
Closed

570 Frozr III Downclocking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2011 10:54:58 PM

Hello.

I have a GTX 570 Frozr III that I overclock. It is running at 915Mhz core, 1830Mhz Shader, and 2225Mhz memory. I increased the core voltage 131 mV and the memory voltage by 10 mV. It has run stable every since I set the overclock up.

I noticed about a week ago that my performance in Assassins Creed Revelations would randomly drop by about half. After checking with afterburner my clocks had dropped to around 405Mhz core. I don't know why it is doing this, the only other game that I have played where it now does it is in Skyrim. I played through Splinter Cell Conviction over the past few days and it never once downclocked. It seems to be limited to those 2 games and, after it happens, it takes a restart to fix the problem.

I have the latest non-beta drivers from Nvidia.

I have a custom fan profile on the card that keeps it right at or below 60C so I don't think it is a heat issue. Please any help would be great I am going crazy. Thanks.
December 7, 2011 11:43:59 PM

Happened to me on my GTX 275 when I tried to overclock it and play Skyrim. I honestly have no clue what it is but I return the card to factory overclocks and it ran just fine. Possibly a driver issue?
Score
December 7, 2011 11:58:50 PM

I had this problem occur playing crysis 2. Some people claim it happens if they have a browser running minimized. I made sure in the driver maximum performance was selected. Also, if you are using MSI Afterburner, open the Properties window, go to the Profiles tab, and make sure under "Automatic profiles management", you have your saved overclock profile selected as the 3D profile.
Score
Related resources
December 8, 2011 12:25:34 AM

If that doesn't work, browse to:

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\Profiles...

and delete the two files, sysdflt.nsu and userdflt.nsu

I think sometimes, nvidia's own overclock section of the control panel can conflict with other overclock software like msi afterburner, and something goes wrong somewhere in all of that... and then either reverts to the default clock speed for 3D, or runs in the 2D mode.

One of these fixes should work for ya, and I'd start with the first option.
Score
December 8, 2011 3:34:23 AM

clonazepam said:
I had this problem occur playing crysis 2. Some people claim it happens if they have a browser running minimized. I made sure in the driver maximum performance was selected. Also, if you are using MSI Afterburner, open the Properties window, go to the Profiles tab, and make sure under "Automatic profiles management", you have your saved overclock profile selected as the 3D profile.

Well I tried both of your suggestions and neither works. I did not have any files in the Nvidia Appdata folder so I could not delete them. It's odd because it seems like the computer was fine until I loaded Revelations on it.

I just restarted it and my Afterburner seems to be freaking out. Ugh. I'm running the latest Afterburner beta, could that have something to do with all this? I am planning on reinstalling the OS around January, soon as I get my damn SanDisk SSD back, but it would be nice if it would at least function until then.

Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help already.
Score
December 8, 2011 4:07:49 AM

Another update. Playing Splinter Cell Conviction and the GPU downclocked again. In Ubisoft games it seems like it goes to a black screen and then after pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL it goes back to the game at about 50% performance. In Skyrim it just comes to a screeching halt, then comes back. Weird.
Score

Best solution

December 8, 2011 12:06:05 PM

Reinstall the most recent non-beta MSI Afterburner and return the card to factory overclocked settings. The MSI overclock is pretty hearty, is there any reason beyond "because I can" that you want to overclock further?
December 8, 2011 6:37:08 PM

Warmacblu said:
Reinstall the most recent non-beta MSI Afterburner and return the card to factory overclocked settings. The MSI overclock is pretty hearty, is there any reason beyond "because I can" that you want to overclock further?

I have it overclocked further because I pretty much have to have 60 fps or right around there otherwise I just don't enjoy the game as much. I know how crazy I must sound but its true. :pt1cable: 

I'm planning to get another 570 right after Christmas and when they are in SLI I will drop them to stock just because an overclock at the time would be silly, but they will eventually be overclocked more.

So on to the questions:

- Will Skyrim and Revelations run at full graphics at 1920x1200 on the stock overclock?
- I've got a Seasonic 1000W PSU, that'll be enough for two OCd 570s and a 2600K?
- I have another computer with a MSI 560TI, would it be better to move the 560Ti to my computer for SLI and overclock those?

Thanks.
Score
December 8, 2011 6:46:21 PM

broadbandaddict said:
I have it overclocked further because I pretty much have to have 60 fps or right around there otherwise I just don't enjoy the game as much. I know how crazy I must sound but its true. :pt1cable: 

I'm planning to get another 570 right after Christmas and when they are in SLI I will drop them to stock just because an overclock at the time would be silly, but they will eventually be overclocked more.

So on to the questions:

- Will Skyrim and Revelations run at full graphics at 1920x1200 on the stock overclock?
- I've got a Seasonic 1000W PSU, that'll be enough for two OCd 570s and a 2600K?
- I have another computer with a MSI 560TI, would it be better to move the 560Ti to my computer for SLI and overclock those?

Thanks.

Heh, you are crazy.

Skyrim will run at maximum settings but it may dip to 40 in the towns. I am perfectly fine with that but some people are not. I have no clue about Revelations but I think you'll be fine.

That Seasonic PSU is great, it'll be fine for two GTX 570's.

I do not think adding the GTX 560 Ti will help much, maybe in a game which utilizes PhysX but not Skyrim.
Score
December 8, 2011 6:51:24 PM

Warmacblu said:
Heh, you are crazy.

Skyrim will run at maximum settings but it may dip to 40 in the towns. I am perfectly fine with that but some people are not. I have no clue about Revelations but I think you'll be fine.

That Seasonic PSU is great, it'll be fine for two GTX 570's.

I do not think adding the GTX 560 Ti will help much, maybe in a game which utilizes PhysX but not Skyrim.

If that made me seem crazy I should probably quit posting stuff. :D 

Anyway, I didn't mean adding the 560TI with 570 if that's what you thought. I meant buying another 560TI instead of a 570 and SLI them in my computer and move the 570 to the other computer. Wow, that is confusing. I'm assuming that a 570 SLI will last a while before being obsolete, I'd like them to last at least another year and half or so.
Score
December 8, 2011 7:03:59 PM

I can't predict the future but I can safely say that 2 GTX 570's in SLi will be good for at least another year, maybe 2.

If you already have a GTX 570, save up for another month or so and buy another one instead of another GTX 560 Ti.
Score
December 8, 2011 7:11:35 PM

Will do. Thanks for all the help.

I guess I'll just go back to stock for now. :/ 
Score
December 8, 2011 7:12:43 PM

Best answer selected by broadbandaddict.
Score
!