Desperately need help with new 6950!

adad22

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
IMPORANT UPDATE--> Tried a different psu. Same problem BUT

actually got it to boot into windows, and its because of something retarded. I forgot to hook up the fans from my cpu cooler to the new psu, and I had an overclocked phenom 4 b50 overheat. This time , after windows loading, I had the black screen get stripped down, literally --> stripes of black were removed to reveal windows as it loaded int odesktop. I then smelled the burning cpu, and hwmonitor verified that I was indeed a retard with a 80+c amd processor. I proceeded to turn off my power and cool it down, and have attributed this to all the stress over the past few days of dealing with this card.

I started it up again at proper temperatures and I am getting the BSOD/black screen again. I imagine the motherboard got very hot when the cpu was at 80+ degrees...

Long story short;

I have a WORKING 6950 (tested on another rig)

As soon as I install drivers for it , any drivers not just the latest (11.11), I get BSOD/black screen with glitches after Windows Loading.

The BSOD reads display driver stopped working resetting failed.

I have reset cmos.
I have done a clean reinstall of Win 7 ultimate (5 or so times now)
I have updated chipset + bios
I have tried updating win 7 and it still doesnt work ( so I stopped bothering with that the other times)

I CAN boot into safemode, disable/uninstall the driver from device manager, and the computer will boot normally; the graphics cards as standard vga.

I have a 5770 (that I wanted to upgrade). I can put it in, update the drivers, and it works no problem.

GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Phenom 2x4 (CURRENTLY running as phenom 2 550)
6950 Frozr 3 Oc edition 1gb
Seasonic SS-650HT 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM

I got a psu that I intend on returning to test if it is the fault of my seasonic psu; rocketfish 500w. I will probably test it tomorrow...but I don't really think it is the fault of the psu;
1)It is a seasonic :(
2) It powers my overclocked phenom 2x4 and overclocked 5770, why would it not power a stock phenom 2 550 (not unlocked to quad) and stock 6950.

I read that someone was having the same problem online and he changed mobo's , and it worked. I dont have a spare mobo...but I have contacted gigabyte about this problem.

Please help me!

Here is a link to the ordeal I have been through over the past couple days;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1179035/i-got-a-brand-new-6950-and-it-wont-work

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Driver Sweeper 3.2.0.
Copyright © 2007-2011, Phyxion.net.
Published by Phyxion.net.
All rights reserved.

I was having same issue with a pair of 5870's. Finally got some help from XFX - they suggested unistall drivers in windows, reboot in safe mode, use Driver Sweeper to remove all amd/nvidia driver files. Reboot in normal mode and install updated drivers. Worked for me - hope it works for you.

adad22

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I have used drive sweeper in safemode before I tried reinstalling win7, and then clean (formatting) reinstalling it. I also tried ati cleaner. Neither helped me.

And since I am on a clean install right now, there should not be any ati drivers to conflict with as they are the first ones I am installing.

Edit: but Im desperate so w.e ill do it again.

adad22

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Yep. Same problem. I actually get a warning with my driver installation after using drivesweeper. There are no errors, but I got it before the reformat+install of win7 too. Drive sweeper is not a good idea for win 7 as a I've been told, because it also can remove some key registry's from the os or something.

In any case, the problem persists and I will probably do another clean install tomorrow just because of using drivesweeper.

DM186

Splendid
God you are going through a lot. I think by now I would be picking up a broken GPU. All those things you tried and got nothing. You have done all the testing you could do.

I know you said the 6950 is good and that you tested it on another rig. How long did you test it? and have you been back to test it agin?

And if you retest it do a benchmark test to make sure there are no problems. Also put your old card back in and just test it out with the benchmarking then after that go to AMD/ATI web site down load the new drivers and save them.

Change out the cards and down load the drivers and make sure you click on custom then on next screen do clean Install.

If you have done all this before I am sorry for wasting your time. I had a sort of the same problem a while back and when I did this everything worked but if you haven't tried this what do you got to loose at this point?.

One more thing when you test your new card on another rig also test your old card. this will insure that there is no CPU or MOBO problems. All this might work or not. Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Honestly, this might be a long shot, but try to take out 2 sticks of RAM (if you have 4). There is a reason I only have 4GB (had 8GB).

This might not relate to your problem and might not fix it, but I figured everything helps since you are pretty much in a deep hole in this one.

For some reason, when I had 8GB, it was running fine for a bit, then the drivers continued to crash in mid-game of any given game that is somewhat graphics intensive. I literally tried everything like you, and thought of no place to look, then I'm like "well its worth a shot, nothing else to do", took out 2 RAM sticks, and tada! It works like a charm now (besides the fact that CCC doesn't work, but that's another story)

Again, this most likely will not fix your problem, and it doesn't sound like it will, but I figured since you seemed to have done everything, might as well try everything.

Good luck to you fellow 6950 owner.

adad22

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I brought it back to a NCIX store and had them test it. They just installed the latest ati drivers and had their rig startup fine (they did it twice because I asked them for a second run).

MAYBE both times can be a fluke...but considering I could not get it to start up even once after ...50+ tries? The store is not that close by...but I do have a couple days left to return it I guess (at the cost of a 15% restocking fee) and if I end up going back to them I will make them stress the *** out of the card just like it has stressed me and with any luck it will break.

I only have 2 sticks of ram, they have never caused me any problems before, maybe I can switch the slots or something just cause I have an open case anyway.

I think I can safely rule out ram and hard drive....im tempted to list psu too...just because they work fine in safe mode and my 5770.

Motherboard...IF it can post, which it does, and it lets me into safemode and everything...I don't know whats wrong with it but where else can the problem be?

adad22

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
IMPORANT UPDATE--> Tried a different psu. Same problem BUT

actually got it to boot into windows, and its because of something retarded. I forgot to hook up the fans from my cpu cooler to the new psu, and I had an overclocked phenom 4 b50 overheat. This time , after windows loading, I had the black screen get stripped down, literally --> stripes of black were removed to reveal windows as it loaded int odesktop. I then smelled the burning cpu, and hwmonitor verified that I was indeed a retard with a 80+c amd processor. I proceeded to turn off my power and cool it down, and have attributed this to all the stress over the past few days of dealing with this card.

I started it up again at proper temperatures and I am getting the BSOD/black screen again. I imagine the motherboard got very hot when the cpu was at 80+ degrees...