FX8150 (FD8150FRW8KGU) not working with Sabertooth 990FX

Swaadg

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hello,

So I've pulled my hair out with this chip and mobo combination. Current BIOS revision installed: 1102, and the system works fine with Sempron 145.

Even with the BIOS flashed two AMD FX8150 (FD8150FRW8KGU) chips fail to boot.

Build
CPU: AMD Sempron 145 (WORKS)
AMD FX8150 (FD8150FRW8KGU) (DOES NOT WORK)

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

RAM: 16 GB ADATA 1333MHz

Cooler: Coolermaster Liquid Cooling

HDDs: 2x SAMSUNG 1X KINGSTON SSD

GPU: AMD Radeon 6870 (have 2, only using one for testing)

Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Swaadg

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Thanks for your prompt reply. I assume that 1000W is enough? The PSU is maybe a month old at the most. I tried it even with my 800W PSU. What are the odds that BOTH PSU's are defective?

I can try getting a PSU tester and giving it a shot I guess. But i doubt it. Anything else you can think of.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
reset the bios, unplug everything except the cpu and memory, (hdds, usb ports, video card absolute last) if it won't try to power on, then the cpu is bad.
Sometimes it just happens, but its best to eliminate any outside interference just to make sure its isolated to only the cpu. My friend just set one up on an asrock, wouldn't boot up, found he had a bad sata cable after a day of wtf. But since your already running it with a sempermon, chances are more towards the cpu needs a warranty.

Edit: just saw this is your second chip. ...

is that 16 gb 4 sticks of ram? if so try with 2 or even 1.

Swaadg

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Yes it is 4 sticks of RAM, I will try it with only one and the aforementioned suggestion, hopefully it works. Is it better to RMA from AMD or the retailer?

cevr

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hi, I have a similar problem. I bought a fd8150frgubox AM3 + and install it in a m5a990x evo. I turn and pass the post but I can not install the operating system, Windows 7. As W7 logo appears the system is reset. Probe with AMD AM3 semprom and curiously worked perfectly. we will have to make any special settings in the bios to work fx processor?

I can install Windows XP 32 and 64 but only those. no not even let me install debian linux versions

thanks

cevr29

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I already update the BIOS to version 1208, is the latest version I found on the page. and apparently does not work either. From where I can download the 1302? The motherboard is a M5A990X Evo.

thanks

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we were talking Sabertooth... Last nite.. I had a long day at work, and a few drinks. My apologies for being stuck on stupid. 1208 is the most current version you are correct.

The only thing I can suggest is call Asus, ask them if they have any known issues and contact whomever you bought the Bulldozer CPU from and see about an RMA. It would be nice if you had another AM3+ board to test it.

Wait a minute.. I haven't drank yet tonite... Theres two people here with problems. I see whats going on here.. 1208 is the latest bios version for The Asus 990X evo, and 1304 is the latest for the Sabertooth.. Tada.

BTW, you shouldn't hi-jack other peoples tech threads, for reasons like this. It adds to confusion.

Yea, I knew the early BIOS versions the Sabertooths shipped out with didn't support FX CPUs out of the box, but I would have figured most of them would have been cycled out by now. Nice thing about the Sabertooth boards is the BIOS chip is removable, so you don't have to send the whole board in, Asus can just send you a PROM chip.