120HZ and 3D questions and help choosing a monitor

bloodrue

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I was reading about 3D and I happened to be in need of a new monitor so my opinion on which monitor to get changed, yet again.

Purpose for monitor will be general use and quite a bit of gaming

My questions can basically be summarized as follows:
1. What are the benefits of having a 120HZ monitor?(Is it better for gaming?)

2. Does 3D work as long as you have a 120HZ monitor even though it's connected via a dual link DVI and not via Display port? If it does, what will be the max frames rates I can achieve since if I connect via HDMI, I will be maxed out at 24FPS(True right?)

3. Where do I get Tri-Def software and what's the cost(if any)?

The questions are geared towards an AMD setup since I'm planning to get the Sapphire HD 6950 1GB for approx $250

3D isn't the top priority since I'm not a fan of it but would like to try it out. My top priority rather is just to get a good monitor for gaming and general things and also wanting to try out 3D as an extra feature while I'm getting a new monitor

The monitors I'm looking at are:
dell u2312hm(does not have 3D feature I think) for $195,
Samsung S23A700D(think it does support 3D since it's 120HZ) for $300
LG D2342P-PN (supports 3D I think but not 120HZ, confused about this product) for $215

I would really appreciate it for your help, thanks!!!

1. 120hz monitor allows your monitor to display up to 120hz images per second. That means smoother game play and in the case of 3D gaming, it allows 60hz per eye.

2. AMD's HD3D requires either HDMI 1.4a and is limited to 720p at 60hz per eye, or 24hz per eye at 1080p. Displayport allows up to 1080p up to 60hz per eye. AMD uses frame packing, a format that is not compatible with DL-DVI. (I saw a converter by Club that claims to work, but the majority will not).

3. You buy and download the software from their website unless it came bundled with your monitor.

If you want 3D capabilities, take a look at the Samsung 750 and 950 line. They offer Displayport and I believe come bundled with the Tridef software.

I bought my monitor under the same idea of not being interested in 3D, and just wanted the hurts. As it turns out, I liked 3D a lot more than I thought. 2D gaming just doesn't cut it anymore.

I wish I had that monitor, but the OP will not want it as it will not allow for 3D at 1080p with 60hz per eye with an AMD setup. That is one of the best for Nvidia setups, not for AMD.

bloodrue

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
bystander
1. 120hz monitor allows your monitor to display up to 120hz images per second. That means smoother game play and in the case of 3D gaming, it allows 60hz per eye.

2. AMD's HD3D requires either HDMI 1.4a and is limited to 720p at 60hz per eye, or 24hz per eye at 1080p. Displayport allows up to 1080p up to 60hz per eye. AMD uses frame packing, a format that is not compatible with DL-DVI. (I saw a converter by Club that claims to work, but the majority will not).

3. You buy and download the software from their website unless it came bundled with your monitor.

If you want 3D capabilities, take a look at the Samsung 750 and 950 line. They offer Displayport and I believe come bundled with the Tridef software.

I bought my monitor under the same idea of not being interested in 3D, and just wanted the hurts. As it turns out, I liked 3D a lot more than I thought. 2D gaming just doesn't cut it anymore.

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

spookyx

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

I need help with the ASUS VG278H if someone can help. This model, unlike the prior, is supposed to support PS3 and Xbox 360 but so far I have been unable to get it to work. The consoles recognize th monitor but when I enable any 3d game the emitter oes not seem to turn on and all the 3d menu options are grayed out. I am not getting an emittr error which there were some broken emitters. I have not yet tried my rig yet for various reasons but it seems that consoles should be the most simple out of the box test.

The only thing a ASUS representative said so far is that perhaps I need an HDMI 1.4 cable which in that case would be a 1.4b if I am correct but they did not provide one and I do not believe current consoles even support 1.4 HDMI much less 1.4b. Has anyone a answer or suggestion?