Customising the Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar

September 21, 2004 6:26:45 AM

I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
(activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.

I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!
September 22, 2004 7:22:26 PM

Hi David,

Place it in a folder.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"David Bower" <reddogdave2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D fedd421.0409210126.427ab702@posting.google.com...
>I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
> (activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
> tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
> have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.
>
> I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
> placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
> Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
> item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
> window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
> using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
> shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
> no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.
>
> Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 10:32:26 AM

Kelly,

Thanks for your suggestion. Putting items in a subfolder of the
Desktop folder works fine for shortcuts to regular files, but if I put
a short cut My Recent Documents in there then is still doesn't show
with a right facing arrow and items on the menu.

It appears as though a distinction is being made between a shortcut to
a file and a shortcut to a folder. I guess what I need to happen (but
how?!) is the shortcut to a folder (shortcut to My Recent Documents in
this instance) to be treated as an original folder so that it will
display with the right facing arrow and files list in the Desktop
Toolbar. Is this just an anomaly with how shortcuts are handled?

Should the only way be a new folder with handcrafted recent documents
be the only way forwarded (as suggested) then that folder still shows
on the desktop itself. Is there a way of hiding it like the My
Documents, My Computer, etc. items?

Thanks,
David.

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#6$caHOoEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Hi David,
>
> Place it in a folder.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "David Bower" <reddogdave2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D fedd421.0409210126.427ab702@posting.google.com...
> >I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
> > (activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
> > tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
> > have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.
> >
> > I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
> > placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
> > Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
> > item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
> > window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
> > using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
> > shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
> > no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.
> >
> > Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!
September 24, 2004 5:15:49 AM

Most welcome, David.

The arrow appears when you copy the Recent Document folder to the desktop,
not send shortcut to the desktop then placing it in a folder. However, with
the Recent Folder being more than a special folder, thus unique in its own
way.....will have to check more into this for you to get exactly points a
and b for you.
--

news:D fedd421.0409230532.5a5f9d3b@posting.google.com...

!