Customising the Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar

I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
(activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.

I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about customising desktop toolbar taskbar

    Hi David,

    Place it in a folder.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "David Bower" <reddogdave2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
    > (activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
    > tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
    > have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.
    >
    > I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
    > placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
    > Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
    > item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
    > window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
    > using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
    > shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
    > no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.
    >
    > Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

    Kelly,

    Thanks for your suggestion. Putting items in a subfolder of the
    Desktop folder works fine for shortcuts to regular files, but if I put
    a short cut My Recent Documents in there then is still doesn't show
    with a right facing arrow and items on the menu.

    It appears as though a distinction is being made between a shortcut to
    a file and a shortcut to a folder. I guess what I need to happen (but
    how?!) is the shortcut to a folder (shortcut to My Recent Documents in
    this instance) to be treated as an original folder so that it will
    display with the right facing arrow and files list in the Desktop
    Toolbar. Is this just an anomaly with how shortcuts are handled?

    Should the only way be a new folder with handcrafted recent documents
    be the only way forwarded (as suggested) then that folder still shows
    on the desktop itself. Is there a way of hiding it like the My
    Documents, My Computer, etc. items?

    Thanks,
    David.

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#6$caHOoEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi David,
    >
    > Place it in a folder.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "David Bower" <reddogdave2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
    > > (activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
    > > tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
    > > have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.
    > >
    > > I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
    > > placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
    > > Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
    > > item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
    > > window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
    > > using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
    > > shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
    > > no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.
    > >
    > > Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

    Most welcome, David.

    The arrow appears when you copy the Recent Document folder to the desktop,
    not send shortcut to the desktop then placing it in a folder. However, with
    the Recent Folder being more than a special folder, thus unique in its own
    way.....will have to check more into this for you to get exactly points a
    and b for you.
    --

    > Kelly,
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. Putting items in a subfolder of the
    > Desktop folder works fine for shortcuts to regular files, but if I put
    > a short cut My Recent Documents in there then is still doesn't show
    > with a right facing arrow and items on the menu.
    >
    > It appears as though a distinction is being made between a shortcut to
    > a file and a shortcut to a folder. I guess what I need to happen (but
    > how?!) is the shortcut to a folder (shortcut to My Recent Documents in
    > this instance) to be treated as an original folder so that it will
    > display with the right facing arrow and files list in the Desktop
    > Toolbar. Is this just an anomaly with how shortcuts are handled?
    >
    > Should the only way be a new folder with handcrafted recent documents
    > be the only way forwarded (as suggested) then that folder still shows
    > on the desktop itself. Is there a way of hiding it like the My
    > Documents, My Computer, etc. items?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David.

    >> Hi David,
    >>
    >> Place it in a folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "David Bower" <reddogdave2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to customise the standard Desktop Toolbar of the Taskbar
    >> > (activated by right-clicking on the Taskbar and ensuring there is a
    >> > tick against the Desktop item of the Toolbar menu). My goal is to
    >> > have My Recent Documents listed in a similar manner to My Documents.
    >> >
    >> > I've managed to get My Recent Documents to display in the list by
    >> > placing a shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\User
    >> > Name\Desktop" folder but the list item lacks the trailing right facing
    >> > item. Clicking the list item displays the recent documents in a
    >> > window, but what is wanted is a pop-up menu style list. Additionally,
    >> > using this method of customising the Desktop Toolbar means that the
    >> > shortcut to My Recent Documents also appears on the desktop. This is
    >> > no biggie but ideally it would only feature on the toolbar's menu.
    >> >
    >> > Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Configuration Taskbar Desktops Customization Windows XP