Sign in with
Your question

Will This Make For A Decent Gaming PC?

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2012 11:01:13 PM

so im trying to put together a system to run games like star wars the old republic, skyrim, guild wars 2 and so on, this is what i have put together so far and i am wondering if it will work out??

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad Core 6000K
Intel Socket 1156/1155 CPU fan
ASUS P8H67-M PRO,H67 (Rev 3.0) Onboard Video, DVI & HDMI,X-Fire, SATA3, USB3.0
8GB (2x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head, HDMI
500.0 GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s 16m cache
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Black & Green front USB, eSATA, LCD temp. display
Logisys 550W ATX Power, Supply SLI & X-fire ready
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

thanks in advance for help

More about : make decent gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2012 9:20:00 AM

Here is a handy tool to see what that video card will do in various games. Basically it will be middle of the road. http://www.geforce.com/Optimize

I would opt for a ASUS z68 motherboard. Does not matter which model as long as it has the features you want. The p67 is getting a little long in the tooth. Brand of memory that work well are Corsair, Kingston, and GSkill.

And never, ever, cheap out on the power supply for a gaming rig. Even a moderately powered on such as yours. For that single video card you need at least a 80 plus certified PSU from trusted makers such as Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, and XFX. In this case you can add OCZ as well. In short, Logisys is crap for a PSU, although some of their cases are not so bad. Apevia power supplies are in the crap category as well.

If you could stretch the budget just a wee bit more, you might bump up to an AMD 6870 card.
m
l
February 7, 2012 12:48:00 PM

seems pretty decent but if theres room in your budget go for the i5 2500k which can be overclocked in the future to give your build a little more longevity; asus z68 which is great for overclocking, and possibly step up to the 560 ti and go for maybe a 650-750w psu if you ever want to sli your video card

all these will add extra life to your build so you wont have to upgrade as soon
m
l
!