Will This Make For A Decent Gaming PC?

so im trying to put together a system to run games like star wars the old republic, skyrim, guild wars 2 and so on, this is what i have put together so far and i am wondering if it will work out??

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad Core 6000K
Intel Socket 1156/1155 CPU fan
ASUS P8H67-M PRO,H67 (Rev 3.0) Onboard Video, DVI & HDMI,X-Fire, SATA3, USB3.0
8GB (2x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head, HDMI
500.0 GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s 16m cache
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Black & Green front USB, eSATA, LCD temp. display
Logisys 550W ATX Power, Supply SLI & X-fire ready
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

thanks in advance for help
2 answers Last reply
More about will make decent gaming
  1. Here is a handy tool to see what that video card will do in various games. Basically it will be middle of the road. http://www.geforce.com/Optimize

I would opt for a ASUS z68 motherboard. Does not matter which model as long as it has the features you want. The p67 is getting a little long in the tooth. Brand of memory that work well are Corsair, Kingston, and GSkill.

And never, ever, cheap out on the power supply for a gaming rig. Even a moderately powered on such as yours. For that single video card you need at least a 80 plus certified PSU from trusted makers such as Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, and XFX. In this case you can add OCZ as well. In short, Logisys is crap for a PSU, although some of their cases are not so bad. Apevia power supplies are in the crap category as well.

If you could stretch the budget just a wee bit more, you might bump up to an AMD 6870 card.
  2. seems pretty decent but if theres room in your budget go for the i5 2500k which can be overclocked in the future to give your build a little more longevity; asus z68 which is great for overclocking, and possibly step up to the 560 ti and go for maybe a 650-750w psu if you ever want to sli your video card

all these will add extra life to your build so you wont have to upgrade as soon
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems