Do the new "Ivy Bridge" processors work together with your vid. card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicohawthorne

Honorable
May 23, 2012
If i were to purchase, for examples sake, a 3570k from intel...

-would it work together with my discrete GPU like the amd A-series?
-would the area of the processor that dedicates itself towards graphics be in complete hibernation if paired with a discrete gpu--A card no doubt superior such as the AMD 6950 or 7850
... to the point. what is the point of "upgrading" a gaming computer to this new architecture with what seems like a completely useless section of the CPU? Why not just by a non-APU and a discrete card? Benefits? Do they work together? Thanks! I've tried looking this up elsewhere with no definitive answers. :hello:

Solution
Intel HD Graphics works by itself. There is no "hybrid" Crossfire or SLI mode. When you use a discrete graphics card the HD Graphics core is disabled unless you install some 3rd party software (whatever it's called) used to run a 2nd monitor.

While Intel would love every to upgrade their Intel CPUs every time Intel releases a new CPU (more money for them), that's not the point of Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge is simply a small step to refine their CPUs and also to "field test" the 3D tri gate transistors so that Intel can tweak them if necessary for their next new CPU series; Haswell.

Reduced power consumption and a more powerful Intel HD 4000 graphic core makes Ivy Bridge more competitive in the laptop market which means longer battery life...

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
If you have a discrete gpu, you should be buying a CPU because its a good CPU, not a good GPU. For the most part, the integrated graphics will never be used if there is a card in the system.

*Exception: If you are using Lucid Virtu/Lucid Virtu MVP.

Intel HD Graphics works by itself. There is no "hybrid" Crossfire or SLI mode. When you use a discrete graphics card the HD Graphics core is disabled unless you install some 3rd party software (whatever it's called) used to run a 2nd monitor.

While Intel would love every to upgrade their Intel CPUs every time Intel releases a new CPU (more money for them), that's not the point of Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge is simply a small step to refine their CPUs and also to "field test" the 3D tri gate transistors so that Intel can tweak them if necessary for their next new CPU series; Haswell.

Reduced power consumption and a more powerful Intel HD 4000 graphic core makes Ivy Bridge more competitive in the laptop market which means longer battery life and a "better entry level laptop to play games."

If you already have a Sandy Bridge desktop CPU, then there isn't much incentive to upgrade to Ivy Bridge. If you're looking to upgrade then just wait for Haswell.

Solution

silvermink

Honorable
May 28, 2012
This is something that has puzzled me too. I know that I won't get advantages towards the video picture. But HD4000 is more than just a video card. It has video coding and decoding systems as well as raw processing power. Are these completely lost with a discrete video card? Can the integrated video do physics or other processes (folding?) while leaving the CPU and discrete cards to do their own work?

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
The integrated graphics are a relatively new thing for Intel, so everyone is still trying to figure out how to make best use of them. Lucid MVP is a new software solution only available on the new Z77 chipset that does exactly what you are asking: it has the ability to either use the integrated GPU for most things and kick the discrete GPU on when the computer needs it, or to run off the discrete GPU while using the iGPU to boost framerate, v-sync, and image quality.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-mvp.html

Status
Not open for further replies.