tooter

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi I've just completed my htpc. I used a ps3 case to put it in due to hight issues I used a single fan to cool it all. I used a fan from the ps3 this is a great fan that shifts a lot of air my only prob is the sound. My question is is ther a way to slow it down a bit so it's not as loud?. I know it's a pwm fan that uses a 3rd wire to adjust the speed. I Tryed hooking it up to a pc psu and sueing the 5v line to adjust the speed but it still spins at the same speed.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Have a look on Noctua website for their ULNA and LNA (Ultra Low Noise Adapter / Low Noise Adapter)...they can be made very easily if you're good ad soldering. Alternatively, you can get cheap in-line resistors such as the Zalman Fanmate (IIRC). Basically it puts a resistor in the fan power line and reduces the voltage to the DC motor.

However, if the PS3 fan is going that fast, it indicates your HTPC is relatively hot...how have you connected it, to the PC motherboard? Another option would be to drop the fan speeds in the BIOS, and just accept a relatively high-temp PC.

Good effort on the mod, though.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Three pin fans do not have fan speed control. The third pin is the sensor pin, so that the device knows that there is a fan connected. Only four pin fans have fan speed control.
You would probably use something like these:
(the ps3 case doesnt have any bays for this one..)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217
This one can be mounted externaly so it's probably more practical, it also allows for a second fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998129

tooter

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi thanks for the speedy replies. I'm currently running it direct from the psu as im Not shure if the mobo can take a fan of this amps it's a 12v 2amp fan CPU is running cool though with fan on full.

tooter

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi thanks for the speedy replies. I'm currently running it direct from the psu as im Not shure if the mobo can take a fan of this amps it's a 12v 2amp fan CPU is running cool though with fan on full.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
If it's connected to the PSU, that'll be why it's noisy...it's going flat out. The 3rd wire is for sending RPM data to the PC, and Sony may well use that info to modulate the voltage sent to the PS3 fan on their consoles. Not sure about that, just speculation as to why it would be noisier on your mod.

An alternative is to by a large PC fan. You can get fans in excess of 200mm, which would be a good substitute and designed to work with PCs. Alternatively, my previous answer still stands.

tooter

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi do u know where I can get the info needed to make my own can only find info on making one for use in the ps3 and they look a bit beond my skills thanks.
P.s I did google first thanks.

tooter

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi problem now solved thanks to all who replied. What I ended up doing was to conect the + and - to the psu for the power and used the pwm header on the mobo to control the speed works a treat thanks.