Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[First Build]i3 Budget Gaming Rig Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 7, 2012 12:00:58 AM

.Approximate Purchase Date: 1 -2 weeks

Budget Range:$600-750

Usage: Gaming and Some music production

Parts Not Required: Moniter, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:newegg.com

Country: AMERICA

Parts Preferences:

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Using 720p 32" HDTV


Current build:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 




CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000




GPU: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity




CASE: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case




HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 




Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard




Optic: LG ELECTRONICS GH22NS90B




PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
February 7, 2012 12:07:41 AM

On a build like this I would actually drop the cooler as you don't really need it. The i3-2120 isn't a CPU that can be overclocked. I personally like the aftermarket coolers as they help improve air flow, but I'd drop it for now and invest the difference in getting a better video card - like the Sapphire 6850.

And then I would actually suggest not getting the SSD - go with a 500GB mechanical drive instead. The SSDs I only recommend in really high end builds and on a $600 build you want the most bang-for-your buck that you can get. If you drop the SSD to a mechanical drive you'll save $120, with that and the cooler you could actually invest the difference in getting a really nice GPU like the 560TI or the 6950.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:13:11 AM

I'm really sold on the SSD. All the videos I've seen of people booting from button-home screen and ingame loading makes them seem significantly faster and worth the extra cash.

I was told that a 6770 graphics card is enough for me to run a good frame-rate @ 720p, but if the cooler isn't necessary and I drop that will it give me enough for a decent 6850?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 12:16:18 AM

Will a nice 6.0/gbs Hard drive run at a similar speed?
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:21:55 AM

technologic said:
I'm really sold on the SSD. All the videos I've seen of people booting from button-home screen and ingame loading makes them seem significantly faster and worth the extra cash.

I was told that a 6770 graphics card is enough for me to run a good frame-rate @ 720p, but if the cooler isn't necessary and I drop that will it give me enough for a decent 6850?


Well the way I look at SSDs is it really makes no sense to have one without a secondary storage option - whether it's a 1 or 2TB hard drive. I always like to have OS separate from your data in case you need to reformat and do a clean install of Windows. But on an SSD you never want to load it beyond 80% capacity or do anything that will drastically distort the drives' read-write times. Doing so can really decrease the long-term lifespan of your drive. SSDs aren't like mechanical HDs in that their lifespan is far more limited and the R-W times will actually decrease over a certain period of time. To me a mechanical HD is slower, but you'll encounter fewer problems. And on a budget like yours you want the best hardware you can get bang-for-buck you can get - an SSD doesn't necessarily provide that option but having a better video card or a quad-core CPU like the i5-2400 will.

If you drop the cooler it will give you about the $30 difference needed to get the 6850 - the 6770 is a good GPU in its' own right but it's the exact same as the 5770. If you can track down a 6790 that might be a good middle-of-the-road option.

Quote:
Will a nice 6.0/gbs Hard drive run at a similar speed?


It won't give you the same performance as an SSD will, but you may notice somewhat faster read-write times than what a 3.0gb/s drive will.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:28:28 AM

I suppose you are right...long-term performance vastly outweighs the quickness.
HDD it is then. In about a month I'll buy an SDD and load my OS to it, but keep the HDD for other files.

I'll drop the cooler for the 6850. Thanks for your help!
Any other suggestions for a first time builder? Or things I need?

m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:39:38 AM

Heres the current build:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseCOOLER MASTER HAF 912

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Optic: LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS90B - OEM(bundled with CPU)

PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX


Thanks again man you really help cut a lot off my budget.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:39:58 AM

technologic said:
I suppose you are right...long-term performance vastly outweighs the quickness.
HDD it is then. In about a month I'll buy an SDD and load my OS to it, but keep the HDD for other files.

I'll drop the cooler for the 6850. Thanks for your help!
Any other suggestions for a first time builder? Or things I need?


With the difference you'll be saving on the SSD - that will be around $120. Invest that difference in getting the i5-2400 ($50 difference between that and i3-2120) and then you'll also need a way better PSU.

I didn't notice that at first but a 380W will be vastly underpowered for a 6850. You need minimum 500W. Maybe try something like a Corsair CX500 or CX600.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:43:24 AM

The reason I'm buying the i3 is to wait for the IB i5's. No sense spending all that money now, when in april they will be out IMO.

Ok I'll spend the extra cash on some extra juice.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:47:32 AM

Swapped the 380 with a SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:51:24 AM

Hmm seems like I still have some breathing room...I kinda wanna drop the HAF and go for something a little more flashy with the case. Maybe some pretty LEDs. Is their any decent airflow cases with side-windows I should look at? $100 max.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 12:56:27 AM

technologic said:
Hmm seems like I still have some breathing room...I kinda wanna drop the HAF and go for something a little more flashy with the case. Maybe some pretty LEDs. Is their any decent airflow cases with side-windows I should look at? $100 max.


I'd suggest the Fractal Design Arc MIDI but it doesn't have a side window. Maybe try something like the NZXT Phantom 410: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
The reason I'm buying the i3 is to wait for the IB i5's. No sense spending all that money now, when in april they will be out IMO.


You'll hear differing opinions on whether or not to wait for Ivy but IMO I don't think it's going to be much of an improvement. If you build a system with an upgrade path already in mind it's kind of pointless. You should really concentrate on getting the best hardware you can get for the money now and then you avoid the upgrade headaches and hassles later on. CPUs have pretty much bottomed out lately and having +-.2GHz and a couple extra cores isn't going to make that much of a difference.

m
0
l
February 7, 2012 1:25:41 AM

You sir are very convincing.
Swapped i3-2100 for i5-2500k.

Swapped HAF for the more blinged out NZXT Apollo Black. I love bling(less practical than the HAF for the same price I know, but just so pretty)
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 1:30:11 AM

Current build:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

CASE: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Optic: LG ELECTRONICS GH22NS90B

PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 1:34:50 AM

Switch your RAM. Corsair Vengence is better IMO. You said it early, just save yourself money and get an IB once it comes out. Get the Fractal 3000 for your case. The inside of the NZXT is ugly and makes no sense in the window. Get something sleek like Fractal. Also, a SSD is not a bad bet since Tiger Direct has a Corsair Force GT 120Gb for $150. You should wait till HDD price to drop down to get one later.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 1:42:46 AM

How about the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case?
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 2:09:19 AM

technologic said:
You sir are very convincing.
Swapped i3-2100 for i5-2500k.

Swapped HAF for the more blinged out NZXT Apollo Black. I love bling(less practical than the HAF for the same price I know, but just so pretty)


:lol: 

I don't mind flashy cases but I personally would rather have practical. My HAF 912 has been great, I badly want an Arc MIDI though - I love the minimalist design of it.

Quote:
How about the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case?


I had one of those and they're OK. There's no cable management whatsoever and the air flow is pretty decent. There's the 900 V2 which does have cable management but that will run you a bit more (I think it's $119).

Quote:
Switch your RAM. Corsair Vengence is better IMO. You said it early, just save yourself money and get an IB once it comes out. Get the Fractal 3000 for your case. The inside of the NZXT is ugly and makes no sense in the window. Get something sleek like Fractal. Also, a SSD is not a bad bet since Tiger Direct has a Corsair Force GT 120Gb for $150. You should wait till HDD price to drop down to get one later.


If you get the Vengeance watch for the tall heat sinks. However you're not going to save money by buying a system and then having an upgrade path already in mind. You'll spend twice as much for the same parts that way.

The SSD is not a bad idea if you take into account what I already said. You want a secondary storage option with them and you don't want to do anything that will decrease the drive's read - write times drastically.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 2:34:24 AM

I'm not gonna go with different memory, the kind I have will work just fine.

Hmmm $20 for better cable management seems fair, but I'll check around at the $120 price.

As for the SSD, I will buy one down the road.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 2:57:47 AM

technologic said:
I'm not gonna go with different memory, the kind I have will work just fine.

Hmmm $20 for better cable management seems fair, but I'll check around at the $120 price.

As for the SSD, I will buy one down the road.


RAM is RAM - some are slightly better than others but in the end they all pretty much come off the same assembly line in Taiwan. My boss used to work for Acer and he told me that.

If you want a case with better cable management try the Corsair Carbide or the Fractal Design one I mentioned. Alternately you could check out the NZXT Phantom.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 3:07:28 AM

Right why spend more money for .2% more efficiency on ram.(completely made up percentage)

I am a fan of subtle yet effective cases as well, but I have a bachelor pad to uphold...and I think my guests will enjoy the LED display haha

found this on sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks again G-Unit, you've been so helpful. +1000 rep
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 3:32:25 AM

technologic said:
Right why spend more money for .2% more efficiency on ram.(completely made up percentage)

I am a fan of subtle yet effective cases as well, but I have a bachelor pad to uphold...and I think my guests will enjoy the LED display haha

found this on sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks again G-Unit, you've been so helpful. +1000 rep


No problem!

That case isn't bad - you should definitely check out the Carbide or the Phantom that I linked to. There's a huge 140mm side fan and 200mm front fan with LEDs that will satisfy that. :lol: 
m
0
l
!