Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 3 frames per second question...(6950)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2011 8:08:45 AM

Hi, I've been playing bf3 with one 6950, which I could run bf3 on high with average fps with around 55~60.
Few days ago, I upgraded my graphics card by adding in another 6950(both 1Gb model), and now, i get average fps of around 40 on medium, high. I haven;t changed any other hardware.

The weird thing is, when i run 3Dmark vantage, i get around 36000 gpu score, which is about same as 6990's score,
and when I run Heaven 2.5 with max AA, tessellation, AF on 1080p, i get average 44fps. Which is just below 6990's average fps.

But the performance on BF3 seems to be quite poor, and I have no idea why this is happening...

Does anyone know fix or reason for my computer acting up? >.<

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Related resources
a c 1323 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 11:19:08 AM

You are removing the old drivers before installing the new. That is you removed the drivers before you installed the second card and then installed the drivers again with both cards in.
December 8, 2011 11:40:15 AM

rolli59 said:
You are removing the old drivers before installing the new. That is you removed the drivers before you installed the second card and then installed the drivers again with both cards in.

yes i have, I deleted and even reformatted once before reinstalling the game and drivers. :S
a c 1323 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 11:45:58 AM

I am lost you have tried everything I know about!
December 8, 2011 11:49:07 AM

rolli59 said:
I am lost you have tried everything I know about!

haha thank you for the ideas though >.<

Yeah, I tried everything i could and know, but nothing seemed to work... Even EA support doesn't know what to do rofl...

I highly doubt there are any problems on either graphics card, since the benchmark showed near equivalent performance to 6990,

but I'm now going to run on single card, and see what it does...

Thank you for helping out rolli59 =] Appreciate it xD
December 8, 2011 11:50:20 AM

Humm...Probably a long shot, but does BF3 have some sort of problem with your CPU? I doubt it, but it couldn't hurt to launch Task manager, run BF3 for a while, then look at the performance tab.

Sounds like the game just doesn't like your particular Compy-parts.
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 11:58:58 AM

Wow that it maybe because you aren't lucky. If you tried to do everything rolli59 said and still the same, maybe this is just because you are unlucky. Maybe BF3 is not optimized for your Crossfire system.

For best result: Just play BF3 (or other games if other games have problem too) In single GPU setup, and Use the crossfire setup when doing benchmark and other stuff to show your GPU.
December 8, 2011 12:58:48 PM

MajinCry - I have checked it about half an hour ago, all my threads were working properly =(

refillable - Well... Unlucky doesn't explain the technical failure tho >.<

I have rebooted with single graphics card, and now im getting proper FPS. Not sure whats wrong with my system. I shall try with different cf bridge...

Thanks alot everyone =]
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:11:30 PM

roadwarrior7 said:
MajinCry - I have checked it about half an hour ago, all my threads were working properly =(

refillable - Well... Unlucky doesn't explain the technical failure tho >.<

I have rebooted with single graphics card, and now im getting proper FPS. Not sure whats wrong with my system. I shall try with different cf bridge...

Thanks alot everyone =]

No, I think nothing is wrong with your bridge. Considering that you got a nice score on benchmarks.
December 8, 2011 1:19:08 PM

refillable said:
No, I think nothing is wrong with your bridge. Considering that you got a nice score on benchmarks.

yeah, nothing really makes sense to me lol
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:27:27 PM

roadwarrior7 said:
yeah, nothing really makes sense to me lol

What's your next try to solve this problem? Or you just give up? ... -_-
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:33:58 PM

I believe the issue is driver related or game related. I don't think older drivers would work but it may be worth a try?
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:44:25 PM

Warmacblu said:
I believe the issue is driver related or game related. I don't think older drivers would work but it may be worth a try?

He said he already tried that before...
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:47:47 PM

refillable said:
He said he already tried that before...

I'm suggesting older than what he tried. I do not have much experience with CrossfireX but I have read that drivers can be an issue.
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 1:59:14 PM

Warmacblu said:
I'm suggesting older than what he tried. I do not have much experience with CrossfireX but I have read that drivers can be an issue.

Oh way to go then :) 
December 8, 2011 2:17:02 PM

refillable&warmacblu

Well i spent few hundred bux on this second card, so im not going to give up yet...
pre 11.10preview3 has terrible cf scaling on bf3, so im not going to do that, but I may try some other stuff... I'll swap around the graphics card placement, and see if there is any difference... and new cf bridge and maybe ram test and other stuff as well...

Might just use this opportunity to test out my whole rig again haha
December 8, 2011 2:28:08 PM

Silly question, but have you checked that crossfire is actually enabled in VISION Engine Control Centre?
December 8, 2011 2:30:08 PM

Onlyusemeisaac said:
Silly question, but have you checked that crossfire is actually enabled in VISION Engine Control Centre?

I'm not sure what Vision Engine Control Centre is, but yes I have confirmed that CF was enabled on both GPU-Z and the Catalyst Control Centre. >.>
December 8, 2011 2:38:35 PM

VISION Engine Control Centre is the new name for CCC, as of 11.10 I believe.
December 8, 2011 2:41:30 PM

Onlyusemeisaac said:
VISION Engine Control Centre is the new name for CCC, as of 11.10 I believe.

Oh is it? lol I haven't really cared about the name of the controller >.<

Rightclick on the background then click the top one, and i get what i want xD
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 2:42:51 PM

Maybe using the second PCIe slot knocks you down to 4x each from 16x on a single card - check your mobo specs.
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 2:44:41 PM

roadwarrior7 said:
refillable&warmacblu

Well i spent few hundred bux on this second card, so im not going to give up yet...
pre 11.10preview3 has terrible cf scaling on bf3, so im not going to do that, but I may try some other stuff... I'll swap around the graphics card placement, and see if there is any difference... and new cf bridge and maybe ram test and other stuff as well...

Might just use this opportunity to test out my whole rig again haha

Have a try and Good Luck :) 
December 8, 2011 2:57:53 PM

refillable said:
Have a try and Good Luck :) 

thanks mate =]
December 8, 2011 3:04:37 PM

You do know that bf3 is more cpu intensive then gpu, and toms has even stated that a second video card doesnt do much...?
December 8, 2011 3:20:47 PM

blacksci said:
You do know that bf3 is more cpu intensive then gpu, and toms has even stated that a second video card doesnt do much...?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

I have i7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz, and second card doesn't do much?

61.4FPS to 118.2FPS sounds LOTS of performance increase to me =]
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 3:25:46 PM

have you tried other games to confirm the CF scaling ?
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 3:26:41 PM

@blacksci
Wrong, BF3 is GPU intensive not CPU.
December 8, 2011 3:43:10 PM

ilysaml said:
have you tried other games to confirm the CF scaling ?

All the other games i play aren't very GPU intensive... (LoL and SC2) so I could only use synthetic benchmarks to see if my both graphics cards were working in CF..
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 3:51:33 PM

Ok, do you have the latest CAP ? BF3 had issues with both nVidia and AMD SLI/CF setups at the beginning, along with driver updates and CAP it's fixed.

Also, you must try other DX11 games @ ultra settings.
!