Sign in with
Your question

In dire need of help.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2012 12:09:21 AM

Hey guys i'm attempting to do my first build and am having some major issues.

These are the components of the build
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Comp will not post. Monitor shows no signal.
VGA, CPU, and DRAM lights all blink continuously. I have pressed the memok button and it ran through some tests rebooting a few times but eventually stops rebooting and lights continue to blink.
I reseated the ram once and the VGA and CPU lights went off and the DRAM light was on but no blinking. Hit memok button and it ran through tests and then hard drive light came on.

After checking the hardware connections and rebooting the three lights came back on and continue to blink.

I'm really at a loss as to troubleshoot what the problem is.

Please help

Thank you.

More about : dire

February 7, 2012 12:14:54 AM

Check your case headers - especially the positioning of the +- voltage connector. I always have the most trouble with those when I get a build setup but after that it should be fine.
m
l
February 7, 2012 12:23:29 AM

The first thing I would do is take everything back out of the case and put the stuff on a wooden table. Then I would connect the PSU twice to the motherboard, leave the CPU and 1 stick of RAM in (make sure it is pushed in hard), take everything else out, and try to turn it on and see what happens.

- Edit - If you do this, you can turn it on by putting a flat piece of metal across the two pins on the motherboard labeled PWR_BTN.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 7, 2012 12:41:46 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Check your case headers - especially the positioning of the +- voltage connector. I always have the most trouble with those when I get a build setup but after that it should be fine.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the case headers, and checking the +- voltage on them.
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:17:41 AM

Tryam said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the case headers, and checking the +- voltage on them.

The tiny pins where you plug your case into the motherboard are called the case headers. There should be single pins for voltage - one for positive, one for negative. The instruction manual for your motherboard will tell you the proper placement of these.
m
l
February 7, 2012 4:32:09 AM

g-unit1111 said:
The tiny pins where you plug your case into the motherboard are called the case headers. There should be single pins for voltage - one for positive, one for negative. The instruction manual for your motherboard will tell you the proper placement of these.

OK thank you for the explanation. I checked those and the positive/negative voltage seems to be correct on them.

I will try taking everything out tomorrow and seeing what that does.
m
l
!