Intel Upgrade or Stay with the FX-4100

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hey Guys, Samo here.

I'm looking at Upgrading my PC, Since I am now playing Starcraft II. I have other great parts but I think I should join the Intel Fanboys and leave the AMD camp. I have been looking at getting the i5 2500 and either an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 or a one of the ASUS IV/V Series boards? Should I join Intel? I'm open to suggestions! :D

-Samo

Solution
At least try to drag out this chip's life a bit before investing in a new one. It does everything you need right now, doesn't it?

Let me tell you about my side of the fence. I built a rig with an i7 2600 almost a year ago. I rendered one video in Blender and, outside of that, have painfully abused this processor by under-utilising it. I seriously never bring it to it's full potential and actually feel quite bad about it.
This winter I plan to repurpose it into a Minecraft server where it can really shine and move my own rig to a Piledriver platform.

But good luck with whichever you choose!

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
being as SC2 was highly optimized for Intel, it will run better. AMD will never catch Intel on SC2. Unless you just need to upgrade now, wait till this winter and see how the new AMD cpus are, by then maybe some haswell news may be around.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Ask yourself 1st does the FX do everything you need at an acceptable level? If it does maybe weather it out a little longer. Upgrading CPU and mobo for the sake of 1 game is an expensive move. The FX CPU's are not great by a VERY long shot however neither are they complete scrap if you haven't had it long shelling out to change platform may be a frivolous move. Like Noob2222 said wait out a little bit see if Piledriver offers anything decent that will drop in your current AM3+ board. If not then jump ship to Intel (I think a number of us have similar plans).

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Yea. Maybe it's just better if I focus on getting as SSD first, I really want those fast loading times :) (If you guys have any SSD suggestions, please, tell me)

I would be looking at getting either a 120gb or 60gb, so that I could use it as a boot drive and put a few games on there too! :D

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I say for you to overclock as a i5 2500(k) would be unresenable to bother to buy. The FX 4100 is great but does it meet
your needs? That is your choice but if there is no need why throw out a $100+ chip?

-Please Best Answer!!!!!!!!

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
At least try to drag out this chip's life a bit before investing in a new one. It does everything you need right now, doesn't it?

Let me tell you about my side of the fence. I built a rig with an i7 2600 almost a year ago. I rendered one video in Blender and, outside of that, have painfully abused this processor by under-utilising it. I seriously never bring it to it's full potential and actually feel quite bad about it.
This winter I plan to repurpose it into a Minecraft server where it can really shine and move my own rig to a Piledriver platform.

But good luck with whichever you choose!

Solution

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

This is a funny coincedence. I'm buying hosting ATM for a Minecraft Server, with slots and ect. Maybe we could do a deal? Y'know I would love a huge-slot server! :) BTW Thankyou all for your help. My FX-4100 is really great now that I think about it! I'll just save that extra cash for Guild Wars 2 and Halo 4! :D