PSU's "compatibility"

novao00

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of building a new pc but I got stuck with the PSU. I'm not that prepared with those, at all. I actually bought a BOXD525MW motherboard (+CPU), a wd2500bpvt 2,5'' HDD and a corsair cx430v2 (EU) PSU, I would like to know in the first place if the PSU will "play nice" with the mobo or not (I don't want to fry it as soon as I plug it in); in the second place, since the PSU has only a 8pin plug for the CPU if I could buy an adapter (ESP to ATX/P4) or just find a way to "cut" it without any risk (by cutting i mean just separating the P4 from ESP which seems possible, but again I ask you), last but not least, the HDD is 2,5'', the PSU is said to have a 3,5'' connection but the HDD actually 'connects' to the PSU, will there be any troubles? Here is a link for the motherboard's documentation http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d525mw/sb/CS-031615.htm , for the PSU i'll have to paste them here as corsair's site seems to give me some pains with my browser, they are as follows : AC INPUT= 90-264VAC ; INPUT CURRENT = 6-10A; Frequency = 47-63hz; DC OUTPUTS (MAX/MIN) : +3.3V and +5V 20A/120W; +12V 28A/336W ; -12V 0.8A/9.6W; +5VSB 3A/15W link to the product http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx430-v2-80plus-certified-power-supply.html. Many thanks to everyone who could help me out and sorry everyone for the lengthy post and rather silly question. On a side note the PSU is an EU model, if that matters

The CX430 V2 is a good budget PSU. To answer your questions:
1. Yes the PSU will play nice with your mobo.
2. I've built PCs with this PSU and it is compatible with both EPS12V and ATX 12V. The 8 pin actually splits into two 4pin connectors; either of these can be used to plug in to the mobo but use the one with the retainer clip to keep the plug secured onto the mobo. Link to the PSU manual: http://www.corsair.com/media/cms/manual/49-000036_rev_AA_CXv2Manual.pdf
3. 2.5" and 3.5" are HDD sizes and have nothing to do with the connections for the mobo or the PSU. Your wd2500bpvt HDD uses SATA interface/power connectors. You have a total of four SATA power connectors on your CX430V2 so you are good to go.

Quick answers here...
Yes, it will play nice with the mobo (they're secret friends).
The 8 pin connector should be able to overhang the extra 4 pins (cutting is not suggested as it will void any warranty).
The HDD should use a SATA power connection, this link tells all about the various power supply connections.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
Keep asking those "silly" questions, better those than the ones about extinguishing PSU fires...
Hope it helps

novao00

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Many thanks to both of you for your quick reply, that saved me a headache. I really appreciate it!

The CX430 V2 is a good budget PSU. To answer your questions:

Would it be good to run that pc (nothing to add, really, besides ram that is) at least 16/7? I read some mixed reports about that unit, even ones of it catching fire :|

Yes, it will play nice with the mobo (they're secret friends).

They could've told me while I was posting this....gah for what I paid they should've assembled on their own! Didn't know that a motherboard and a PSU could befriend, shows how old my mentality is.

It's a budget PSU put out by a reputable company. There is no such thing as a perfection production line/mfr process so there will be some bad units. You will have less of those type issues in higher-end PSUs, but you pay more for that. Bottom line is that if it works out of the box, then I would have no issue running it 24/7.

novao00

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Many thanks for your opinion, hopefully it won't die when I need it the most lol.

One last question to everyone, I've tried to locate the PSU inside the case but it seems to be a bit "compressed" inside it, in fact the serial number label which is located above the PSU got scratched while putting it inside (actually just the "S/N" bit, pheeew). I can remove it and move it a little but it looks pressed especially on a side of the case (I can provide photos if I'm not being clear on this); now this never happened to me but I also never used such big PSU's, would that be a normal behavior or there's any risk? The fan's airflow is not blocked anyways. The case is an ASUS Vento TA-881.

PS: bear with my English, it's not my first language.

Don't get me wrong, the CX430 is better than any generic PSu that you'd get in a case/psu combo...it's just not on the same level as a Seasonic S12II.
You're good to go as long as it fits and there are no cables/wires being pinched.