Overclocking intel core i7 2700k

Jer1729

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hi! I want to overclock my intel core i7 2700k from 3.5ghz to 4.0ghz. Is this. And ive never overclocke before cna anyone tell me how.

My motherboard is a gigabyte z68.
I have a cooler master hyper 212+ cpu cooler.

Is is safe for me to overclock. And if not what is a safe speed for me to overclock it at.

Solution
You're good to Overclock, to reach 4.0Ghz I don't really think you need any voltage adjustment. Just try to give this a shot:

1. CPU Ratio (CPU multiplier) set it to manual. Since you want 4.0 GHz as the clock speed and the base clock is 100 MHz, We can put it 40x (The multiplier).
2. Base Clock Put it default to 100 MHz, for an i5/i7 Just change the Multiplier and that's all (Although in other processor such as Phenom II I would change the base clock)
3. Voltage settings should be left at default, unless you see some system instability, increase the Voltage by a bit
4. Power Saving Mode should be disabled
5. Boot up to windows
6. Run CPU stability such as Prime95 and check the temperatures. If it goes up to 80C, feed more Voltage...
You're good to Overclock, to reach 4.0Ghz I don't really think you need any voltage adjustment. Just try to give this a shot:

1. CPU Ratio (CPU multiplier) set it to manual. Since you want 4.0 GHz as the clock speed and the base clock is 100 MHz, We can put it 40x (The multiplier).
2. Base Clock Put it default to 100 MHz, for an i5/i7 Just change the Multiplier and that's all (Although in other processor such as Phenom II I would change the base clock)
3. Voltage settings should be left at default, unless you see some system instability, increase the Voltage by a bit
4. Power Saving Mode should be disabled
5. Boot up to windows
6. Run CPU stability such as Prime95 and check the temperatures. If it goes up to 80C, feed more Voltage (small only) or put the clocks down, although this shouldn't happen.

Good luck.

Solution

Jer1729

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

How long should i run it?

Jer1729

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Well if thats the case, i play video games all the time, like 24/7, so should i just leave it at default clock speed because constantly changing it back in forth is quite a hassle. I thought 4.0ghz was so stable i wouldnt need to worry about life span or temperature. Should i just leave it at default 3.5ghz permanently?

Instead of undoing the OC after every every gaming session, why not just keep SpeedStep, etc. enabled and just use the High Performance power plan in Windows when you're gaming, and then setting it back to Balanced afterwards? Takes literally seconds.

That's EXACTLY what I do and have never had a problem yet. Stability won't be a problem (not because of SpeedStep and C states, at least), since High Performance won't let it clock down, anyway.

TRENDING THREADS