CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0) grounding issues?

ajaythomas123

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
There are many reports of the system freezing or restarting while using the front usb and audio ports on the CM 690 II Advanced (RC-692-KKN2). Does the USB 3.0 version (RC-692A-KKN5) have this problem?

G

Yea i think all of them do. My first build was with a cooler master 692 advanced about 3 years ago. It has a known issue with bad grounding on the circuit board for the front panel. Mine was only usb 2.0 but it fried 2 of my flash drives. I have since switched over to the haf 912 and no problems. touch the case first to ground yourself before plugging it in, that might help. You would think they would have fixed this by now. I saw a picture somewhere, where a guy soldered a wire to the ground on the circuit board and attached the other end to the case. I suppose that solved it.

Gambit2K

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
I can confirm that Cooler Master still has an issue an issue with grounding on the CM 690 III.

I mounted my SSD's in the dedicated mounting holes at the bottom (infront of the PSU) and on the backside of the motherboard tray (where cables could can be hidden), and 2 of my 240 GB Sandisk Extreme II SSD's got blown.

My PC randomly froze and restarted for weeks and I couldn't find the reason why. Until I installed a friends SSD and it destroyed that too...