Dec 8, 2011
Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 630i.
I believe these are the specifications.

Intel Core 2 quad at 2.66 GHz
4 GB RAM, 32-bit,
Chip Set: NVIDIA® nForce 650i SLI
I don't know what else would be of use.
There's a PhysX card, but it's disabled/not installed.

I installed a new ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card when my old one, an nvidia 8800? failed for some reason, and I couldn't install the ATI without replacing windows xp with vista.

first though, I ran linux for a while, and it worked great. I had set aside a partition for vista, installed it, and had trouble getting a dual boot to work, so I just did a fresh install of Vista on the partition I set aside for it and it just boots directly into windows.

From the disk, I installed Vista SP 1, and then did all of the Vista updates, then used the disk that came with the graphics card to install it's driver and fully updated it.

Now, sometimes the screen freezes and a checkerboard pattern appears on top. Then it recovers, or rarely, the system crashes. When it recovers, an alert states that the graphics card stopped responding but recovered. This can happen any time.

Additionally, whenever vista wakes up from sleep mode, the keyboard and mouse don't turn on and I have to restart.

I am unsure how to proceed. I am more concerned with the former problem rather than the latter.