Computer shuts off after 15 secs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hello, After I pieced my computer together I was ready to set up the BIOS. The computer powered on, showed me the options in the BIOS menu, but then shut off. It continues to power off after 7-15 seconds of being on. Below are the parts that I used. I used an old low profile video card to try to rule out that the PSU wasn't powerful enough, but got the same results. Any help or opinions would be great, thanks for reading.

- AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz
- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
- GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
- CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM

Again any insight as to why my system keeps shutting down would be very appreciated.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
When you put in the processor did you remember to put some thermal on the processor between it and the heat sink (stupid question i know but some do forget to) Also do you see the temps before it shuts down? (i want to remove system over heating as a possible cause)

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
The PC doesn't stay on long enough at most times to be able to see which BIOS version it's on. My best bet is that it's the f4 version.

The fx 8120 heatsink came with pre-appplied thermal paste on it. I am unable to get any temp readings from the BIOS because it usually shuts down too fast. I get no sounds from any part of the computer, it just shuts down after 7-15 secs.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I never generally trust things that come with something pre anything to be honest. Most of that stuff is mass manufactured and as such some slip through the cracks without the proper amount. I would wager to guess its not enough hence why it will not stay on very long (as soon as it over heats it shuts itself down).

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I'll be sure to test your theory ASAP. I'll try out some Arctic Silver 5 from Newegg when it gets here and see if that's the cause of my problems.

I thought that it might just be a bad PSU since it still shut down with the low profile video card within the same time frame.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Have you tried the on board video on the mother board? Just to ensure that maybe its not the pci express shorting out? (never heard of it but guess its theoretically possible) But like i said i rarely trust mass production (and almost every thing comes that way any more) If it been me i'd removed it and put in my own (that way i know whats in it) this is why i like to build my own pc's as then i know whats in it what it can or can not do and what my full upgrade and update options are.

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
The mother board doesn't come with any on board graphics, but it does come with 2 PCI-E 2.0 lanes. I've tested both cards on each lane and got the same results.

I talked to a few people today about my computer issue, and the general consensuses seemed to be that it might be a bad CPU, bad mother board, or over heating. I brought the over heating idea up, because I know that the CPU will typically shut off everything to save its self when overheating.

tlmck

Distinguished
You guys can rest the temp issue as the machine is not even on long enough to get to stock temp.

If you only have F4 BIOS, it will never boot. I think you have what I call the FX bug. This is where the motherboard may indeed support the FX processor, but only with the proper BIOS revision. In this case you need at least the F6 BIOS to boot.

Unfortunately this has been happening a lot lately. There are only two fixes. Either return the motherboard and see if a newer revision is available, or buy, beg, borrow, or steal an older CPU in order to boot the motherboard and update the BIOS. In the case of buy, the lowly Sempron 145 for about $35 would suffice. In the other cases, any AM2+ or AM3 processor would do.

In the old days you could boot a system and worst case it would misidentify the CPU, but still run well enough to update the BIOS. With the FX there is no such luck.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Couldn't they just flash the bios from a disc or a flash drive? (sorry if i'm wrong i'm still relearning these new pc components lol)

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

It still shows that it has the same on board chip set i metioned before.

And it sucks to not be able to flash the drive :pfff: If under warranty i'd be chewing some ones ear off lol

tlmck

Distinguished

This affects all AMD based motherboards regardless of maker as far as I know.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

You would think this would call for a recall until it is fixed :pfff: I mean what can you use it for without the update besides an expensive paper weight? :eek:

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I agree with you so much, it's sad that I have an expensive paper weight. I should have gone with the i5 2500k when I had the chance :[

The only reason I went with this board was because there were a good amount of posts that claimed it took the FX series chips without any issues.

tlmck

Distinguished

You should have been around in 1988, Stuff rarely worked when you plugged it together. :lol:

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Lol, sounds like it must have been a huge headache, even more so without the internet.

I really appreciate your inputs, and I hope I can resolve this quickly. It's pretty depressing to have a killer system just sitting around collecting dust.

tlmck

Distinguished

Assuming you cannot return it, you might try the local Geek Squad or equivalent. A mom and pop shop may have an old CPU laying around for cheap, or maybe even let you borrow one.

I will say the problem seems less with the higher end 990FX motherboards. Maybe you could do an exchange?

The i5-2500k is about the best around right now and AMD has nothing to match it. For gaming, even my lowly i3-2100 is as fast at stock speed as anything AMD makes.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I'm afraid that it boils down to profit over customers this is sad and what often gives certain brands a bad name as well as stores. I'd contact the stores and tell them about this and tell them they should not sell these motherboard chip sets until it is resolved and ask for a replacement with the bios fixed and failing that i'd be contacting the manufacturer (i'd do this regardless of what the store said about a replacement or refund) and give them an ear full about how its unethical to sell a product that your customer can not use.

Its a shame when the bottom line is put over your customers. But that is business for you. Profit over customer. It is best generally to put the customer in mind first develop a good name to get repeat customers. I doubt many of these manufacturers will receive a lot of repeat customers with business practices such as this. Sorry i got long winded and off topic but these kinds of things tick me off. >_<

Creat230

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I just remembered that my wife might have an AMD core in her computer in the garage, I'll have to check to see if it's an AM2 or AM3

I can't exchange because it was part of a deal. I buy the FX 8120 and I get a free mother board. It's pretty much what made the deciding factor.

I won't argue with you there, and in retrospect I should have picked it instead, but I have this issue to deal with for now. I'll think about upgrades later :p

tlmck

Distinguished

To be fair, there are scenarios where this does work. Say someone has an older system and wants to update to an FX processor, they would be all set up to update their BIOS and be on their merry way.

Also, since motherboard companies have no idea what processor you are going to choose, they are somewhat off the hook. The better ones like ASUS and Gigabyte do publish the BIOS update info on their website along with CPU and ram compatibility lists.

And AMD gets a partial pass as they have no idea what motherboard you are going to use.

Bottom line is, if you choose to build yourself, it is best to do your homework. I have been building 24 years and even I have to stay up to date somewhat. The basics are the same, but component matching is constantly evolving.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Aye i built my first pc in 2005 and had it less then a year Order Date: 08/01/2005

intel Celeron D 340 2.93Ghz
mach Speed Matrix PM9MS VIA Socket 478 Micro ATX Motherboard

The clip (it was plastic and i didn't know better :cry: ) that held my cpu down burned up when i went to sleep one night and let it download a game (everquest also known as evercrack :D ) while i slept. When i woke up i had a crispy pc as the motherboard and cpu both went up (and its why i'm still leery of intel pc's to this day)

11/12/2006 I ordered my

AMD Athlon 64 4400+ (Toledo Core) BOX CPU
Biostar TForce6100-939 NVIDIA Socket 939 MicroATX Motherboard

And almost 6 years later its still going its been running since i first put it together about 6 years ago (its never really turned off i know its not wise but still never really had any major problems). I just hope when i build my new pc in a few months that it can duplicate this one in lasting as well as performance (i've yet to find a game my cpu will not play but that is changing lol and why i need to do a rebuild)

I really hope you can get this sorted out. Its a shame that it was not caught before you got it :pfff:

Status
Not open for further replies.