Sign in with
Your question

[FIRST BUILD] Purely gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2012 7:09:38 AM

:hello:  Hello everyone, how are you doing? I hope you can help me help you so that you can help me. First time builder I am, so expect random potentially dumb questions. I would say my knowledge on computers is above average, however there are still holes needed to be filled. With that being said, let's begin.

Spoiler is me filling out the "form".

Spoiler
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month, possibly more. What I plan on doing is buying one part at a time.

Budget Range: Roughly $1000, but it may go over as I'm buying things one at a time.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Purely gaming. I want really high FPS while playing on the highest possible settings.

Parts Not Required: Everything is required. This is a build from scratch. Although moniter/mouse can wait, BUT IF YOU SEE A NICE DEAL ON ONE HIT ME UP

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca / Directcanada.ca [free shipping] / Ncix.ca

Parts Preferences: I have my eyes set on Intel and Nvidea, from what I've heard they overall beat AMD / ATI. I could be wrong. If I am tell me.

Overclocking: Probably not, since I'm new to how it works and don't feel comfortable doing it.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, later on.

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768, since it would be the cheapest. I'm also used to small monitors.

Additional Comments:

-I would like a quiet PC, apparently HAF tower's are designed for just that. [T/ F?]
-Performance is key, remember this is purely gaming so I want the best possible experience for my budget.
-I cannot stress how important it is for you to udnerstand I have been waiting to get a new PC for years. If I run it, and it's faulty hardware and have to wait months to get it back, I'm going to be extremelly frusterated. If I end up losing the money because of poor customer service, I will be even more frusterated because I'm poor. If I can pay an extra xyz amount for a warranty or coverage, I will do it. Please only recommend highly reliable brands, with good warranties and customer service if problems are to occur, thanks.
-IF YOU KNOW OF UPCOMING DEALS OR SALES PLEASE TELL ME!

Here is what I'm looking at in terms of parts:

TOWER:

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MOBO:

1155 Intel Z68 type mobo, been looking at this:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I see mobos that are Z68 1155 USB 3.0 running for $100 and $300, so I'm really lost on what specific mobo I should go for.

RAM:

4GB or 8GB, probably will go for 1 stick of 4GB at $20~ for now, and upgrade later. Looking at G.Skill and Kingston and Corsair as they seem to be the top rated RAM providors.

PSU:

It all depends on the wattage, I would like a 80plus bronze certified, but I intend on doing SLI so I'm looking at around 700watts. Once I figure out exactly what I'm buying we can calculate the wattage and go from there.

GPU:

I have my eyes set on a GeForce GTX 570, an amazing card that run Skyrim and most new games on Ultra/High settings. I am leaning towards EVGA brand since it has lifetime warranty, however GIGABYTE offers the highest end GTX 570 cards, which are huge and have 3 fans on them. The thing is they get bad reviews. [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ]

H-Drive:

Now, apparently they have new flash memory, which is way faster, but way more expensive. My friend told me his friend bought flash memory, put all his startup files on it, making him boot up his pc in literally seconds. Can you actually do that? Otherwise I'm looking at 500 - 1TB of 7200RPM space, or that PLUS the new flash memory, if you can put both in at once (can you?).

DVD:

Ok, so the DVD is what reads discs so that you can put in your OS disc or game discs to play games/movies, correct? So what one do I get? There is DVD drives, blu-ray, burners, I don't know which one to get or if there is a difference.

CPU:

I'm looking at a Intel 2500k 3000 graphics, it looks like a great processor that can allow me to run games very high settings without the need of overclocking.

Monitor:

Looking at 1024x768, I hope that works with the GPU I'm going for. I prefer small monitors, but if I got a bigger monitor would that be better for my card? Would I not need a high-end card if I have a small reso? Because a guy told me the monitor and gpu are very related and dependant on another.

Mouse/ Keyboard:

A gaming one would be nice. If you find any deals on any, specifically on newegg or directcanada, please notify me.

It looks like the only one available is Windows 7. When will windows 8 be released and is it even worth it since windows 7 seems good enough and wasn't released too long ago?

More about : build purely gaming

February 7, 2012 11:24:34 PM

Ah why haven't I got any replies in the past 12 hours... Is it because my thread is way too long and I ask to many questions? I hope someone can help me out.
m
l
February 7, 2012 11:33:59 PM

a GTX 570 would melt most monitors of that resolution so perhaps no one took you serious
ly
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 11:48:51 PM

Outlander_04 said:
a GTX 570 would melt most monitors of that resolution so perhaps no one took you serious
ly

Gah I'm sorry I didn't know. So I would need a higher resolution then. What do you recommend?

Monitor:

Looking at 1024x768, I hope that works with the GPU I'm going for. I prefer small monitors, but if I got a bigger monitor would that be better for my card? Would I not need a high-end card if I have a small reso? Because a guy told me the monitor and gpu are very related and dependant on another.

Also, this is probably a dumb question but does that mean if I was looking at 1024x768 reso then I should get a less powerful GPU? What exactly is the point of GPU does it increase your performance or does it do nothing but you need to get one that matches a certain resolution? Also why would the card burn up a monitor with low reso?

Thanks.
m
l
February 7, 2012 11:57:26 PM

if you stick with your current resolution you can spend half as much on the computer and max out any game

But just buy a nice 24 inch 1080p LCD instead .
m
l
February 8, 2012 2:27:04 AM

Bump... I forgot to mention I made a thread many months ago about what I should go for, and roaringdragon I believe helped me out a lot (along with many others) and I came up with the specs I am going for above thanks to them. Now that I've figured out generally what I'm getting, and am actually going to start buying parts, I need your guy's help on getting me good reliable brands, good parts get me what I need and work well with everything and are possibly future proof. Plus if you can answer all my questions mentioned that would be great. Also, if you can inform me on warranties or things I can buy to secure my purchase if I need it. Thanks and I need more people replying to this thread!!!
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:43:55 PM

2 Days and very little reply... If 3 days pass and nobody else bothers to help me out I'll re-make the thread more simpler and straight forward and go look in other forums... even though I really don't want to do that :( 

The thing is, I
m going to be waiting for the 600 series which may need completely different parts. So I might just buy my case, fans, install them, buy my DVD drive burner, install it, buy windows 7, and wait patiently for the 600 series. Does that sound like a good plan?
m
l
!