Motorola V360: new top dog?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Arguably the current best phone for those of us that want a solid data-capable
multi-band clamshell GSM phone is the Motorola V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 /
V557 <http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,72,00.html>.

The recently-announced (expected availability in 4Q) Motorola V360
<http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,92,00.html> looks to be a
promising and worthy successor (based on available information):

Improvements (as compared to the V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 / V557):

* Lighter
* Internal antenna
* Double the talk time
* Improved internal color display
* Larger external display
* TransFlash / microSD memory expansion [up tp 256 MB]
* EGPRS (EDGE) Class 10 [faster]
* Push To Talk
* MP3 player
* Extended voice dictation

Drawbacks (as compared to the V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 / V557):

* Tri-band (850/1800/1900 or 900/1800/1900) rather than quad-band

Another worthy challenger is the new and currently available Motorola V635
<http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,80,00.html>, which (as
compared to the V360) has a somewhat better camera, external color display,
quad band, and interchangeable housings, but lacks faster Class 10 EGPRS
(EDGE), Push To Talk, internal antenna, and is much heavier.

The recently-announced (expected availability in 3Q) Sony Ericsson Z520
<http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=pc3_1_1&zone=pc&lm=pc3_1&prid=3472>
improves upon the Z500 by adding Bluetooth, quad band, 16 MB memory, and (hold
your breath) flashing blue lights, but disappoints by dropping EGPRS (EDGE).
[sigh] It also falls short of the Motorola offerings in some other areas
(e.g., no memory card).

More about motorola v360
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    In article <C0Aze.3557$p%3.21581@typhoon.sonic.net>,

    blah, blah, blah, blah

    So what are you now, John, employed by Motorola?

    Because that looked like newsgroup spam to me.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
    * Newsgroup: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws
    * Reply to: All; "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com>
    * Date:Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:21:27 -0500
    * Subj: Motorola V360: new top dog?

    JN>Arguably the current best phone for those of us that want a
    JN>solid data-capable multi-band clamshell GSM phone is the
    JN>Motorola V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 /
    JN>V557
    JN><http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,72,00.html>.

    JN>The recently-announced (expected availability in 4Q) Motorola
    JN>V360
    JN><http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,92,00.html>
    JN>looks to be a promising and worthy successor (based on available
    JN>information):

    JN>Improvements (as compared to the V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 /
    JN>V557):

    JN>* Lighter * Internal antenna * Double the talk time * Improved
    JN>internal color display * Larger external display * TransFlash /
    JN>microSD memory expansion [up tp 256 MB]
    JN>* EGPRS (EDGE) Class 10 [faster]
    JN>* Push To Talk * MP3 player * Extended voice dictation

    JN>Drawbacks (as compared to the V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 / V557):

    JN>* Tri-band (850/1800/1900 or 900/1800/1900) rather than
    JN>quad-band

    JN>Another worthy challenger is the new and currently available
    JN>Motorola V635
    JN><http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,80,00.html>,
    JN>which (as compared to the V360) has a somewhat better camera,
    JN>external color display, quad band, and interchangeable housings,
    JN>but lacks faster Class 10 EGPRS (EDGE), Push To Talk, internal
    JN>antenna, and is much heavier.

    JN>The recently-announced (expected availability in 3Q) Sony
    JN>Ericsson Z520
    JN><http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&
    JN>template=pc3_1_1&zone=pc&lm=pc3_1&prid=3472>
    JN>improves upon the Z500 by adding Bluetooth, quad band, 16 MB
    JN>memory, and (hold your breath) flashing blue lights, but
    JN>disappoints by dropping EGPRS (EDGE).
    JN>[sigh] It also falls short of the Motorola offerings in some
    JN>other areas (e.g., no memory card).

    Welcome home John,

    It's good to see you posting here again. Your participation has been missed. That said, Can I pick your brain a bit? My daughter's Moto T720 fell apart (literally) while mine is still like new. And to replace it quickly I opted for the buy one get one free deal CW offered on the SE Z500a as we were due for an upgrade anyway. She's happy with the Z500a, but I absolutely hate it. What is your opinion on the SE as compared to the MotoT720 and is there any way you are aware of to increase the SE functionality to mimic the 720 ease of use? Any pointers/advice would be appreciated. TIA.
    --
    Jack
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    That v360 looks interesting, i could see alot of people upgrading from the
    v300 etc to it, but not the V551, unless the v360 is very well priced that
    is.
    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
    > In article <C0Aze.3557$p%3.21581@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    > blah, blah, blah, blah
    >
    > So what are you now, John, employed by Motorola?
    >
    > Because that looked like newsgroup spam to me.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <42cf04c7$0$5679$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net> on Fri, 8 Jul 2005
    17:57:09 -0500, "Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackrussellsr@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Welcome home John,
    >
    >It's good to see you posting here again. Your participation has been
    >missed. That said, Can I pick your brain a bit? My daughter's Moto
    >T720 fell apart (literally) while mine is still like new. And to
    >replace it quickly I opted for the buy one get one free deal CW
    >offered on the SE Z500a as we were due for an upgrade anyway. She's
    >happy with the Z500a, but I absolutely hate it. What is your opinion
    >on the SE as compared to the MotoT720 and is there any way you are
    >aware of to increase the SE functionality to mimic the 720 ease of
    >use? Any pointers/advice would be appreciated. TIA.

    Thanks for the kind words, but I'm afraid I can't be much help -- I likewise
    find the SE Z500a to be a big disappointment. I've been sticking with my SE
    Z600 until I find something good enough to warrant an upgrade. I toyed with
    the Moto V551, and although I prefer it to the SE Z500a, the poor EDGE support
    and tiny characters finally made me return it. I was shocked by the lack of
    Bluetooth in the SE Z500a, and I'm equally shocked by the lack of EDGE in the
    SE Z520, so I'm hoping the Moto V360 will finally give me a good upgrade path
    from my SE Z600.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <UOmdnav9FLxyfVPfRVn-uw@rogers.com> on Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:24:30 -0400,
    "CJD" <newsgroupmail@rogers.com> wrote:

    >That v360 looks interesting, i could see alot of people upgrading from the
    >v300 etc to it, but not the V551, unless the v360 is very well priced that
    >is.

    Not the V551? Why not? The V360 boasts numerous improvements over the V551,
    the only downside being tri-band rather than quad-band, but I personally find
    the internal antenna to be worth the tradeoff.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <UOmdnav9FLxyfVPfRVn-uw@rogers.com> on Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:24:30 -0400,
    > "CJD" <newsgroupmail@rogers.com> wrote:
    >
    >>That v360 looks interesting, i could see alot of people upgrading from the
    >>v300 etc to it, but not the V551, unless the v360 is very well priced that
    >>is.
    >
    > Not the V551? Why not? The V360 boasts numerous improvements over the
    > V551,
    > the only downside being tri-band rather than quad-band, but I personally
    > find
    > the internal antenna to be worth the tradeoff.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    It has improvements like the mp3, transflash support etc. But to be honest,
    I just don't see v551 to v360. Now V551 to a V635 seems like a more likely
    path to me, and is actually one that I took. ;-)
    I may have looked to the v360 for the internal antenna ya, and quad vs tri
    band means very little to me, so that wouldn't factor, but the feel and look
    of the v635 would have been the winner for me, even if the V360 was
    available at the time.
    I have to wonder if the V360 is even going to be available in Canada on the
    gsm networks as well, as far as I know, none of them utilize PTT, which
    kinda sux
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > It has improvements like the mp3, transflash support etc. But to be honest,
    > I just don't see v551 to v360. Now V551 to a V635 seems like a more likely
    > path to me, and is actually one that I took. ;-)
    > I may have looked to the v360 for the internal antenna ya, and quad vs tri
    > band means very little to me, so that wouldn't factor, but the feel and look
    > of the v635 would have been the winner for me, even if the V360 was
    > available at the time.
    > I have to wonder if the V360 is even going to be available in Canada on the
    > gsm networks as well, as far as I know, none of them utilize PTT, which
    > kinda sux

    In Canada, it'll all be up to Rogers, as Rogers has control of all GSM
    infrastructure. Is there any way to currently utilize PTT on any GSM carrier in
    the U.S.?

    TH
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Tropical Haven" <email@example.net> wrote in message
    >> It has improvements like the mp3, transflash support etc. But to be
    >> honest,
    >> I just don't see v551 to v360. Now V551 to a V635 seems like a more
    >> likely
    >> path to me, and is actually one that I took. ;-)
    >> I may have looked to the v360 for the internal antenna ya, and quad vs
    >> tri
    >> band means very little to me, so that wouldn't factor, but the feel and
    >> look
    >> of the v635 would have been the winner for me, even if the V360 was
    >> available at the time.
    >> I have to wonder if the V360 is even going to be available in Canada on
    >> the
    >> gsm networks as well, as far as I know, none of them utilize PTT, which
    >> kinda sux
    >
    > In Canada, it'll all be up to Rogers, as Rogers has control of all GSM
    > infrastructure. Is there any way to currently utilize PTT on any GSM
    > carrier in
    > the U.S.?
    >
    > TH

    True that, but I can see Rogers inplementing it sooner or later, especially
    with Bells recent 10-4 program.
    I'm still waiting for MobileTV to get started for the general public.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > Arguably the current best phone for those of us that want a solid
    > data-capable
    > multi-band clamshell GSM phone is the Motorola V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 /
    > V557 <http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,72,00.html>.
    >
    > The recently-announced (expected availability in 4Q) Motorola V360
    > <http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,92,00.html> looks to
    > be a
    > promising and worthy successor (based on available information):

    Those clowns at Motorola should be fixing firmware instead of releasing yet
    another Vxxx... I still cannot receive vCard sent from Nokia (disappears
    mysteriously), and phonebook support is a joke - why can't they add critical
    fields like Company and mailing address????

    Peter (owner of V3)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, at 09:30:45 [GMT +0300] (16:30:45 Sunday, 10 July 2005
    where I live) "Peter" wrote:

    > Those clowns at Motorola should be fixing firmware instead of releasing yet
    > another Vxxx... I still cannot receive vCard sent from Nokia (disappears
    > mysteriously), and phonebook support is a joke - why can't they add critical
    > fields like Company and mailing address????

    http://www.motox.us/index.htm

    Flash upgrades.

    --
    If you see a man approaching you with the obvious intent of doing you good, you should run for your life.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    >> Those clowns at Motorola should be fixing firmware instead of releasing
    >> yet
    >> another Vxxx... I still cannot receive vCard sent from Nokia (disappears
    >> mysteriously), and phonebook support is a joke - why can't they add
    >> critical
    >> fields like Company and mailing address????
    >

    > http://www.motox.us/index.htm
    >
    > Flash upgrades.

    I'm running the latest MotoX flash & flex - still no joy...
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <dara8o$q37$1@news1.greatnowhere.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:38:43 +0300,
    "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

    >>> Those clowns at Motorola should be fixing firmware instead of releasing
    >>> yet
    >>> another Vxxx... I still cannot receive vCard sent from Nokia (disappears
    >>> mysteriously), and phonebook support is a joke - why can't they add
    >>> critical
    >>> fields like Company and mailing address????
    >>
    >> http://www.motox.us/index.htm
    >>
    >> Flash upgrades.
    >
    >I'm running the latest MotoX flash & flex - still no joy...

    Then get a different phone -- no one phone is perfect for all people.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:57:38 GMT, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >Arguably the current best phone for those of us that want a solid
    data-capable
    >multi-band clamshell GSM phone is the Motorola V551 / V330 / V547 /
    V555 /
    >V557
    <http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,72,00.html>.

    >The recently-announced (expected availability in 4Q) Motorola V360
    ><http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,92,00.html>
    looks to be a
    >promising and worthy successor (based on available information):
    >
    >Improvements (as compared to the V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 / V557):
    >
    >* Lighter
    >* Internal antenna
    >* Double the talk time
    >* Improved internal color display
    >* Larger external display
    >* TransFlash / microSD memory expansion [up tp 256 MB]
    >* EGPRS (EDGE) Class 10 [faster]
    >* Push To Talk
    >* MP3 player
    >* Extended voice dictation
    >
    >Drawbacks (as compared to the V551 / V330 / V547 / V555 / V557):
    >
    >* Tri-band (850/1800/1900 or 900/1800/1900) rather than quad-band

    That V360 looks nice. The Razr V6 looks interesting as well.
    --
    Scorp
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    >That V360 looks nice. The Razr V6 looks interesting as well.

    PEBL V6? <http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/PEBLV6/>
    Review: <http://mobile-review.com/review/motorola-v6-en.shtml>

Cingular Motorola GSM Internet Service Providers