Needing Buying Tip!!

Isamu966

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
I currently have the Linksys SpeedBooster 802.11g Wireless Broadband Router WRT54GS. I was wondering if I should get the PCI or USB version with Speedboost of the desktop wireless adapter. I've read that the PCI version has problems. Does anyone know if the USB adapter has a good range, or any eperiences and tips would be nice. Is there a way to boost the signal of the USB version like the PCI with antenna?

Thnx for any help.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What is the estimated distance from the ap to the client? And about how many walls are between them?

I've gotten pretty good range out of the usb adaptors. My neighbor has a few in his house (non speedbooster) that are about 60ft away from the ap and are going through 4 walls. I do not believe the usb ones have a detachable antenna but I could be wrong. Either way it would be much easier to attach a larger antenna to the pci card adaptor.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Isamu966

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
My computer will be about 40-45' away and there's a computer, a wall, and a bar, so pipes and wine, will be in the way.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Liquid and any metal are signal killers. You'll need to elevate the AP and the client. Elevating the client is going to be MUCH easier with the USB adapter. You won't be able to add aftermarket antenna for the USB adapter but being able to adjust/move the radiator is a huge advantage over the PCI solution when range is part of the equation. USB is almost always a better solution on a wireless desktop. Certainly since they started making them USB 2.0 compatible and bandwidth ended as a concern.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I agree, the USB adaptor will probably be the way to go. Just set that router up on something high or mount it up on a wall and you should be fine.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

G

On a side note,I have a WRT54gs router and the corresponding PCMCIA card. I also have a builting Atheros Wifi card. I found the range to be quite good but about the same as the Atheros Card. I can use my laptop in the basement and the AP is on the top floor. So there is 3 floor between me and the AP. I must add that the house is pretty good for wifi because it had really thick stone walls that keeps the signal in the house...

Anyway, I think both will do fine but the USB will give you the possibility to use a USB extansion and to move it higher as mentioned by others.

Finally the 108+ MBPS doesnt make big difference. Only when moving a few gigs from computer to computers, I always prefer to have a hardwire when doing so anyway...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0