Happy Birthday PS One!

9-9-95

Ten years ago today the PlayStation was launched in the U.S. Remember
the polygon man? The whole "URNOT(E)" nonsense? The "black ice"
developer demo disk with the T-rex? The demo disk that came with the
system with Tekken, Wipeout, ESPN Extreme, Ridge Racer, and Air Combat?
No one had even heard of Lara Croft or Resident Evil or Grand Theft
Auto.

Seems like ages ago...

(And let's not forget Dreamcast, 9-9-99, which was abandoned far too
early...)

furious gibbon <furious@gibbons.com> wrote:

> i have a magazine from 1995 that has a side-article about the ' the SONY
> PSX', the article mentioned the aquisition of 'small time company
> psygnosis, whos only claim to fame is lemmings', and how sony would have
> a hell of a time competing with sega who had 'sonic, daytona and virtua
> fighter' going for it.. what a load of dog they were!

Psynogsis was better known on the Amiga where they made some
amazing-looking games. The Commodore folks should have just wisened up
and created an Amiga-based console... Some of the stuff Psygnosis was
pulling off in '89 and '90 wouldn't be matched until the Dreamcast.

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> furious gibbon <furious@gibbons.com> wrote:
>
>> i have a magazine from 1995 that has a side-article about the ' the SONY
>> PSX', the article mentioned the aquisition of 'small time company
>> psygnosis, whos only claim to fame is lemmings', and how sony would have
>> a hell of a time competing with sega who had 'sonic, daytona and virtua
>> fighter' going for it.. what a load of dog they were!
>
> Psynogsis was better known on the Amiga where they made some
> amazing-looking games. The Commodore folks should have just wisened up
> and created an Amiga-based console...

Amiga CD32, idiot.

Scott

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:46:32 -0000, Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com>
wrote:

>furious gibbon <furious@gibbons.com> wrote:
>
>> i have a magazine from 1995 that has a side-article about the ' the SONY
>> PSX', the article mentioned the aquisition of 'small time company
>> psygnosis, whos only claim to fame is lemmings', and how sony would have
>> a hell of a time competing with sega who had 'sonic, daytona and virtua
>> fighter' going for it.. what a load of dog they were!
>
>Psynogsis was better known on the Amiga where they made some
>amazing-looking games. The Commodore folks should have just wisened up
>and created an Amiga-based console... Some of the stuff Psygnosis was
>pulling off in '89 and '90 wouldn't be matched until the Dreamcast.

Did they miss the entire Shadow of the Beast series?!

--
Scott

Scott <scottm9000@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Psynogsis was better known on the Amiga where they made some
> >amazing-looking games. The Commodore folks should have just wisened up
> >and created an Amiga-based console... Some of the stuff Psygnosis was
> >pulling off in '89 and '90 wouldn't be matched until the Dreamcast.
> >
> Did they miss the entire Shadow of the Beast series?!

SoB looked great. But was really difficult. A friend of mine in college
had an Amiga and that game, and even after a semester of hardwork, he
hadn't come close to finishing the game.

Either that, or he was just really bad at video games.

Awesome looking game, nonetheless.

Scott

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:21:46 -0000, Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com>
wrote:

>Scott <scottm9000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >Psynogsis was better known on the Amiga where they made some
>> >amazing-looking games. The Commodore folks should have just wisened up
>> >and created an Amiga-based console... Some of the stuff Psygnosis was
>> >pulling off in '89 and '90 wouldn't be matched until the Dreamcast.
>> >
>> Did they miss the entire Shadow of the Beast series?!
>
>SoB looked great. But was really difficult. A friend of mine in college
>had an Amiga and that game, and even after a semester of hardwork, he
>hadn't come close to finishing the game.

Oh believe me it was a tough game. I still remember my jaw hitting the
floor when I first loaded it up though. I eventually finished it though.
Took QUITE a while too!

>Either that, or he was just really bad at video games.

It was tough. Very tough.

>Awesome looking game, nonetheless.

All that parallax scrolling and such. A nice update to it would be a good
thing. Just as long as they balanced it out just a wee bit.

--
Scott