What do I mix a powdered heatsink compound with?

I bought a new heatsink and fan on Ebay and when it arrived , there was a tiny packet of heatsink compound powder ('Stars' brand ) that came with it, but it doesn't say what to mix with it. Any ideas??
MB
4 answers Last reply
More about what powdered heatsink compound with
  1. I have never heard of powdered thermal compound...it should come in a paste form. thermal paste helps with transferring heat between the cpu and your heatsink
  2. I've never heard of mixing your own thermal compound before. Sounds like paste of the lowest possible quality to me. Ditch it and buy a tube of the good stuff. Arctic Silver is a few dollars for a tube, and has great performance. You could pay a bit more and get nonconductive paste as well, which will save your board if you accidentally get some on it.
  3. willard said:
    I've never heard of mixing your own thermal compound before. Sounds like paste of the lowest possible quality to me. Ditch it and buy a tube of the good stuff. Arctic Silver is a few dollars for a tube, and has great performance. You could pay a bit more and get nonconductive paste as well, which will save your board if you accidentally get some on it.

+1 The powdered stuff can't be very high quality, unless it's diamond dust, which I VERY highly doubt.
  4. Get some TX2 or TX4, AS5 takes up to 100 hrs to cure.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan Ebay Components