Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will a server power supply work in a small form pc?

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2012 1:19:12 PM

I have recently bough a small form factor gateway pc (sx series) and to upgrade my good for nothing video card i need a new power supply and the only one that can remotely fit (atleast it looks like it) is a server power supply

also if a video card says it needs atleast a 300 watt power supply, does it literally mean just the video card alone needs 300? i know it sounds dumb but.. Im just making sure.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2012 2:12:46 PM

The 300 watt recommendation is for total power used by the whole system, not just the video card. The problem with using a server PSU is that it might not have the proper (or enough) power connections for your video card, should it require additional power.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2012 11:38:12 AM

allstarbenchwarmer said:
Oh good Thanks. i was hoping i wouldn't have to spend 100+ on a power supply. could u check if these ate compatible?'id appreciate it :)  i was looking at them but i just don't know what to look for in difference

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The PSU has the required power & amps available. The video card doesn't require any PCI/E power cables, it gets all the power it needs from the PCI/E slot on the motherboard.

The only concern I have about the PSU is : Does it have the correct cabling & fittings to work with a consumer grade desktop motherboard? I don't know if server motherboards require different power connectors from desktop motherboards. :sweat:  :??: 
February 9, 2012 3:22:15 AM

well thanks youve help'd a lot. im gonna have to gamble on this one. im getting tired of playing skyrim on low graphics.. hehe

have a good day sir :) 
Score
February 9, 2012 3:22:28 AM

Best answer selected by allstarbenchwarmer.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 9, 2012 6:32:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!