Sign in with
Your question

Best Graphics Card for a 300W PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2011 7:35:57 PM

Hi, hope everyone is well.

Basically my Graphics Card recently failed on me and I now need to get a new one. However, I want to slightly upgrade the one I had to a better one. (The one that I used to have was NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS).

So I would like to know what better graphics cards are available that I can purchase that would work with a 300W PSU. A friend recommended me the ATI HD 5670 but it states I need a minimum of 400W PSU, so I'm worried that going for a card like that might damage my PC. Here is the specs if it would help:

Motherboard: ASUS Intel Socket 775
Processor: Intel Core Duo 2 - 3.00MHZ
Hard Drive: 2x 250GB
Memory: 1GB RAM

I use the PC for moderate gaming as well if that also helps.

Man thanks in advance

More about : graphics card 300w psu

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 7:55:01 PM

We'll need the brand and, preferably, model number of the PSU. If it's a junk box, i wouldn't trust it to work with any card.
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 8:55:41 PM

Your friend is right a 5670 would probably be the way to go if your PSU is of decent quality, so kajabla is also right.

You can get a decent PSU for fair cheap these days after rebates, I see no point in skimping on one personally.
Related resources
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 1:37:23 AM

Listen to both of these guys and up grade your PSU. Even if your PSU is a good one you are looking at a GT 440 on the nvidia side and not much better on the AMD side.

With todays games you need a good PSU with a good card. All the online stores are having end of year sales and you could pick up a 450w real cheap and it being a good brand name. Good luck
a c 191 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 4:45:14 AM

DM186 said:
Listen to both of these guys and up grade your PSU. Even if your PSU is a good one you are looking at a GT 440 on the nvidia side and not much better on the AMD side.

With todays games you need a good PSU with a good card. All the online stores are having end of year sales and you could pick up a 450w real cheap and it being a good brand name. Good luck

Just throwing it out there, I believe the 5670 is much better than the GT440, but either way, getting a new PSU is the way to go.
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 5:39:13 AM

The Radeon HD 6670 uses slightly less power than the HD 5670 and it is also about 10% more powerful on average. The only caveat is that the HD 6670 is a PCI-e 2.1 card; it might not work in a motherboard with only a PCI-e 1.0/1.1 slot. These cases are kinda rare, but it is something to keep in mind.
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 5:42:00 AM

6670 to go. But I recommend you to upgrade your PSU and buy a more decent GPU.
December 9, 2011 5:51:07 AM

Thank you to everyone for the advice. I'm kind of new to this so all your help is greatly appreciated.

When I get back home I'll post up the model of the power supply. Regarding PSUs is there anything else I need to look at apart from wattage? Like maybe dimensions? Or I can I pick any one I like that's from a good company? Also how much are PSUs at around 400-450W?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to be really sure before I commit myself to anything.

Many thanks in advance
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 6:11:57 AM

You can get Corsair CX500 for $50 Like the one above says.

Or take a look at Seasonic 520W that has Bronze 80+ Certification.
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 6:16:40 AM

^^^

Yeah, I prefer PSUs manufactured by Seasonic, but at least the CX500 is built by CWT.
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 3:44:27 AM

Deemo13 said:
Just throwing it out there, I believe the 5670 is much better than the GT440, but either way, getting a new PSU is the way to go.

That goes to show you how much I know about ATI cards. I am still learning. Thanks
a c 191 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 5:18:44 AM

DM186 said:
That goes to show you how much I know about ATI cards. I am still learning. Thanks

Heh we're all learning. that's why I'm here, trying to get more knowledge to supplement my major.
December 10, 2011 3:55:28 PM

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Seems the power supply I have is a Octigen 8007CCOTG 300W.

Will look into the ones that has been suggested such as Corsair and Seasonic.
a c 191 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 8:57:07 PM

gybanson said:
Ok, thanks for the replies.

Seems the power supply I have is a Octigen 8007CCOTG 300W.

Will look into the ones that has been suggested such as Corsair and Seasonic.

With that the safest card I could possibly recommend is the Radeon 5670. Its cheap, powerful, and better than any low-end cards Nvidia has on the market right now. It also will run on most generic 300W power supplies because of its very low power draw.
December 11, 2011 11:06:48 AM

Ok thanks very much for your help. Will look into the Radeon's more and will probably get one in the near future if I dont buy a new PSU.

Also regarding the Radeon 5670, does it matter if regarding the size (i.e. 512mb or 1GB) or would my current PSU be able to handle either?
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 11:28:31 AM

gybanson said:
Ok thanks very much for your help. Will look into the Radeon's more and will probably get one in the near future if I dont buy a new PSU.

Also regarding the Radeon 5670, does it matter if regarding the size (i.e. 512mb or 1GB) or would my current PSU be able to handle either?

Should be able to I think. I think somewhere I see that the total Power system consumption is below $200.
December 16, 2011 10:40:35 PM

jaguarskx said:
The Radeon HD 6670 uses slightly less power than the HD 5670 and it is also about 10% more powerful on average. The only caveat is that the HD 6670 is a PCI-e 2.1 card; it might not work in a motherboard with only a PCI-e 1.0/1.1 slot. These cases are kinda rare, but it is something to keep in mind.

you do know that all gfx cards are backwards compatible with CPI-e slots?
December 16, 2011 10:41:13 PM

gybanson said:
Thank you to everyone for the advice. I'm kind of new to this so all your help is greatly appreciated.

When I get back home I'll post up the model of the power supply. Regarding PSUs is there anything else I need to look at apart from wattage? Like maybe dimensions? Or I can I pick any one I like that's from a good company? Also how much are PSUs at around 400-450W?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to be really sure before I commit myself to anything.

Many thanks in advance

Is your PC a slim line PC?
December 17, 2011 7:17:31 PM

yes it is
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 3:05:41 AM

aaawew said:
you do know that all gfx cards are backwards compatible with CPI-e slots?

PCI-e 2.1 cards are technically backwards compatible with PCi-e 1.x slots. However, there have been a few cases where there are compatibility issues.

On theory is that not all motherboard manufacturers implement PCI 1.x slots in their motherboards which is a possible cause of the rare, but very real, incompatibility issues.
December 18, 2011 3:08:34 AM

jaguarskx said:
PCI-e 2.1 cards are technically backwards compatible with PCi-e 1.x slots. However, there have been a few cases where there are compatibility issues.

On theory is that not all motherboard manufacturers implement PCI 1.x slots in their motherboards which is a possible cause of the rare, but very real, incompatibility issues.

I guess, ill take your word for it, but in his case im sure hes fine
!