Sign in with
Your question

First build, fan choice, setup

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2012 3:27:37 PM

This is going to be my first build. I think I've over analyzed a bit so I'm here for help. I have everything picked out for my build but I'm having trouble picking out case fans and their orientation (flow wise). Price is not an issue. Sound is a minor issue but willing to sacrifice for performance. I am a little nervous about building my first rig to be honest so any insight would be greatly appreciated. My build is as follows:

Corsair Obsidian 650d
i5 2500k
Asus Maximus IV Gene3 MAtx
Seasonic X Series 850W
G Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB)
Corsair H100 cpu cooler
MSI 560TX-TI

Right now, I want to replace the rear 120mm fan and replace the two 120mm fans for the H100 with three Noctua NF-S12B. I will set the rear 120mm fan as exhaust and the two H100 radiator fans on top as exhaust. The case has one 200mm intake fan. Is this setup bad as far as airflow? One 200mm intake, one 120mm exhaust, two 120mm radiator exhaust fans. Open to any suggestions and thank you in advance for reply.

-Nervous, noob pc builder

More about : build fan choice setup

February 7, 2012 4:03:10 PM

Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

You've done alright, but could be better. Here's what I have to say.
-First things first, could you please fill out this form? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... Tells us what we need to know about your build.

-First, I would not go with a watercooled/closed loop build. Many do it but I don't like it. If you're gonna watercool, do so correctly don't just throw a closed loop cooler on the CPU. It often doesn't cool as well as similar air cooling options and produces more noise. Check into some cases that are a little less restrictive. Maybe the Corsair 500R?

-I'd cool your CPU with an air cooler. At the very top is the Noctua DH-14 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... at $90, it's kinda impractical unless you are looking to do some extreme overclocking. If you don't want to overclock like a monster (5.0GHz+) then something cheaper would get the job done.

-Your motherboard is MicroATX. It's an excellent board and I highly recommend it, it'll just look small and things may be cramped.

-If it's a gaming rig, your GPU is on the light side. At this budget i'm looking for at least a GTX 570/6970, preferably 2-GTX 560 Ti's or 2-6950's. Fill out the form and we'll figure out what's best for you.

Well, that's really it! You did a good job, it's really hard to get it perfect on the first try.

Cheers!
m
l
February 7, 2012 6:25:03 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: 1700-2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Asus preferably

Overclocking: Yes, minor

SLI or Crossfire: In the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Thank you striker410 for your insight. I appreciate it! Sorry about not filling out the form. ;)  I picked the H100, to be honest, because it had decent reviews and I want a very clean build. I was searching for heat sinks that had the thermal compound pre-applied. I have never applied thermal paste and have heard horror stories about applying too much, not applying enough, to spread it, to not spread it. For someone like myself, a first time builder, all of this is intimidating. I actually have a brand new Hyper 212 Evo still packaged that was given to me but i don't want to mess up the processor.

As for the 650d case, I have read hundreds of reviews on different cases and this case seemed to fit my needs best. Cable management is a top priority. Specifically being able to route cables behind mobo through grommets. I have also read that the cooling in the 650d is insufficient to say the least but I planned on upgrading fans, which was my original question. I also really like a viewing window like the one it has.

I plan on running two of those 560 cards in SLI but I will have wait a month or so to buy the other card. Setting up the SLI will be another task of which I'm clueless on.

This is why most people waste money on computers by Dell, HP, etc because if you have never built one it's very intimidating. I want the best and I don't want to get ripped off so I'm diving in head first and doing it myself.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 7:22:56 PM

crewchief15 said:

Thank you striker410 for your insight. I appreciate it! Sorry about not filling out the form. ;)  I picked the H100, to be honest, because it had decent reviews and I want a very clean build. I was searching for heat sinks that had the thermal compound pre-applied. I have never applied thermal paste and have heard horror stories about applying too much, not applying enough, to spread it, to not spread it. For someone like myself, a first time builder, all of this is intimidating. I actually have a brand new Hyper 212 Evo still packaged that was given to me but i don't want to mess up the processor.
Oh pfft. Thermal paste is easy, really! It's no big deal.
Hmm. I'd honestly rather use that Hyper 212 EVO just because I look down on closed loop systems. Since you only plan on doing minor overclocking, you are pouring money down the drain with that H100. The Hyper 212 EVO is dead silent and amazingly good. You can take your CPU all the way to 4.5GHz and beyond if you want.
Really though, Don't let thermal paste scare you away. If you wanna stick with the H100, that's completely fine. It'll make for some good overclocking later on :D 
crewchief15 said:

As for the 650d case, I have read hundreds of reviews on different cases and this case seemed to fit my needs best. Cable management is a top priority. Specifically being able to route cables behind mobo through grommets. I have also read that the cooling in the 650d is insufficient to say the least but I planned on upgrading fans, which was my original question. I also really like a viewing window like the one it has.
Alright, that's fine. The Obsidian line of cases are preferred for water loops usually. Does that mean air won't work just as well? No! It'll look and function amazingly.
crewchief15 said:

I plan on running two of those 560 cards in SLI but I will have wait a month or so to buy the other card. Setting up the SLI will be another task of which I'm clueless on.
Simple. Pop the card in, attach the SLI bridge, tick a box in the setting and you're golden.
crewchief15 said:

This is why most people waste money on computers by Dell, HP, etc because if you have never built one it's very intimidating. I want the best and I don't want to get ripped off so I'm diving in head first and doing it myself.
Yup, you've done well. I'm impressed. If you have any questions let me know.
m
l
February 12, 2012 9:41:11 PM

Looks good crewchief15. When you're done post pics in the member picture thread.
m
l
!