Sign in with
Your question

Display problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2011 8:37:55 PM

So I got a GTX 460 for this new system (which had to have a motherboard and stick of ram replaced right after buying it >_>) and have been having an issue where after about 6 hours of the computer being on, starting games (namely wow and skyrim) would result in an instant crash once in-game and the whole "driver stopped responding" message.

I tried a few things with it, and finally swapped out the card with my other computer's radeon 5770 which had never had a single issue. So far no issues with the 460 in the other computer, and now the 5770 has so far had a single incident where about an hour into playing wow the screen froze for 3 seconds or so, went black for 3 or 4 seconds, then came back with nothing wrong, all the while the sound never went out. No "driver stopped responding" message for this one (though I'm thinking that's probably what happened).

So, am I looking at a bad PSU or something? It's got a 600w XtremeGear and when I checked the 12v in the BIOS it was between 11.88 and 11.93.

Any ideas, or preferrably similar situtations, would be helpful :) 

More about : display problem

a c 1362 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 8, 2011 9:17:04 PM

Can you swap the PSU over from the other rig? It will tell you!
m
l
December 8, 2011 9:25:08 PM

rolli59 said:
Can you swap the PSU over from the other rig? It will tell you!

That's.... a very good idea. Why didn't I think of that? :lol: 

Time to go try it.
m
l
!