Intel i5-2320 with H67 Express Chipset - PCIe x16 and onboard graphics

adclark

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I recently purchased a Gateway DX4860-UB33P and am trying to get a 3 monitor setup. The processor is an Intel i5-2320 and the motherboard is an Acer IPISB-VR motherboard with the H67 express chipset. From what I have searched online, the processor does support Intel's FDI and the H67 chipset is supposed to as well. Most everything I read says that it is not possible to run both the integrated graphics and a PCIe graphics card with most computers though. The thread I found here says it should be possible but I wanted to know if anyone had successfully or unsuccessfully attempted this: http://communities.intel.com/thread/26954

My question is whether or not this setup will allow me to add in a PCIe x16 graphics card and still use the onboard video? I looked in the BIOS and did not see an option to select a graphics card to make one the primary, but I didn't know if it would be hidden until I actually added the PCIe graphics card to the system. I have a cheap PCIe x16 graphics card, but I was hoping to find out whether or not it would work before I opened the card so I can return it if not.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
I will say what I do know that our technical support guys says that the Z68 chipset was our first chipset that would alway you to run 3 displays with the use of a video card. So you could use the video card for a couple of them and the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) for another off the board or the other way around.

Based on this information I am going to guess that the H67 chipset still disabled the IGP if a video card is added. Again this is a guess but it is a fairly good educated guess.
I will say what I do know that our technical support guys says that the Z68 chipset was our first chipset that would alway you to run 3 displays with the use of a video card. So you could use the video card for a couple of them and the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) for another off the board or the other way around.

Based on this information I am going to guess that the H67 chipset still disabled the IGP if a video card is added. Again this is a guess but it is a fairly good educated guess.

Solution