Sign in with
Your question

Hyper 212 plus and ram

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2012 10:26:02 PM

Does anybody own a hyper 212 plus with large heatsink ram and fit properly?
Also would help if you own a MSI Z68A-GD55 or 65 (gen3) motherboard.
I have a 8 inch wide case I dont know if that includes the extra half inch or so indent for side fans.
Just looking for someone with something very similar who can help with this before I order in the hyper 212 plus.

More about : hyper 212 ram

a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 10:35:46 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This is the RAM I use and I run into no clearance issues. I use the second and fourth RAM slots on my motherboard, though (Siggy). I think the spacing should be identical...

Even so, I think using the first and third RAM slots gave me about 1MM clearance :lol:  you should be fine no matter what if the heatspreaders aren't taller than the ones I linked. (I'll get measurements later, can't be bothered to open my case atm :lol:  )
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 10:58:46 PM

you could always just put the fan in a pull config, there's only really about a 1C difference as it is

1C difference from push/pull that is
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 11:22:21 PM

^^those look fairly large but the vegeance http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
might be a bit larger, and im not sure about the difference between our motherboards.

Yeah if worse comes to worse I might just have to do that, or remove the heatsink from the RAM. I will have to figure it out I guess afterwards and just go for it I spose.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 12:13:35 AM

Oh yeah, those modules have heatspreaders that are about three times larger than the ones I have. Though about the differences between our motherboards, does anyone know if the placement of the socket and memory slots are SIGNIFICANTLY different for every motherboard? If it's generally in the same area, as I said before, use slots 2 and 4 (I think it would be slots 1 and 3 on your motherboard, since it should be labeled as 0, 1, 2, 3) and you should be fine...

But if that doesn't work, as nna2 said, putting the fan on the other side will do just fine.
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:35:10 AM

I could but in my motherboard manual it says for dual channel memory use 1 and 3(and nah it goes 1, 2, 3, 4) and says for successful system boot up always use dimm slot 1.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 12:51:55 AM

Ahhh okay. Well in that case, you could always configure the fan in "Pull" :)  It'll deliver very good performance nontheless.

Also, about case clearance, my brother's case (smallest of ours :lol:  ) is 7 inches wide and it just barely fits :) 
m
l
a c 228 à CPUs
a c 197 V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 1:49:32 AM

The high heat spreaders on the standard Vengance memory causes all kinds of clearance issues. I have no idea why they made it that tall being DDR3 does not even need heat spreaders. Get the low profile version of the Corsair Vengance or any GSkill Ripjaws and you will not have any problems with any aftermarket coolers.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 2:28:19 AM

The fans can be elevated to accommodate any ram modules!
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 2:36:21 AM

amuffin said:
The fans can be elevated to accommodate any ram modules!

Oh hi muffin! I have a question about that, will elevating the fan lower performance? Seeing as how some fins may not get airflow. I've been curious but I have yet to test...I'm curious if you have :) 
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 2:37:42 AM

Oh..I can do that for a science project :)  Maybe, I'll do some testing this weekend and put my results up next week ;) 
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 2:38:12 AM

amuffin said:
Oh..I can do that for a science project :)  Maybe, I'll do some testing this weekend and put my results up next week ;) 

Alright thanks! Appreciate it greatly :D 
m
l
!