Sign in with
Your question

Acer X3950 power supply and graphics card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2011 12:21:54 AM

Hello,
I am trying to upgrade my Acer Aspire X3950 graphics card and power supply. Does anyone know which graphics cards and power supplies are compatible with my tower?
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 3:35:57 AM

Hello & Welcome.
What's your total system specs ? what's your budget ? and what's your gaming resolution ?
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 4:36:56 AM

It seems as if your case is a slimline case (it is physically slimmer than regular) meaning that it is going to very very very hard to find a good power supply to fit with a decent amount of power to give. Let alone by a credible brand.

Although say you do find a really good power supply for a slimline computer. Now time to look for the graphics card right? Good luck.

See, in a slimmer case, obviously the parts need to be smaller and, well, slimmer, including the graphics card. These graphics card are called "low-profile." The problem with a low profile graphics card is that there are no really powerful ones out there. You might find something worth getting low profile wise, but it probably won't happen. The 5570 is most likely the best you can find if you can.

Now to a more logical approach, what is your monitor resolution and what are you trying to do. If you are just going to watch movies, then that whole paragraph I typed was sort-of a waste. It looks like though by looking at the system specs that there is already a 5570 in the case, so there's not much higher to get than that for low profile.

What I would do is maybe spend a little on a new case and mount everything in it, then try and mount your new graphics card and power supply in that.

If you're not so good with computers.....then.....you might be in a hole on this one.
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 4:57:19 AM

@Deemo 13
Quote:
compatible with my tower

who mentioned slim ? :o 
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 3:09:42 PM

ilysaml said:
@Deemo 13
Quote:
compatible with my tower

who mentioned slim ? :o 

I looked up the model of his computer and it seemed to be a slim case, but I might be wrong.
m
l
December 9, 2011 10:47:43 PM

Deemo13 said:
It seems as if your case is a slimline case (it is physically slimmer than regular) meaning that it is going to very very very hard to find a good power supply to fit with a decent amount of power to give. Let alone by a credible brand.

Although say you do find a really good power supply for a slimline computer. Now time to look for the graphics card right? Good luck.

See, in a slimmer case, obviously the parts need to be smaller and, well, slimmer, including the graphics card. These graphics card are called "low-profile." The problem with a low profile graphics card is that there are no really powerful ones out there. You might find something worth getting low profile wise, but it probably won't happen. The 5570 is most likely the best you can find if you can.

Now to a more logical approach, what is your monitor resolution and what are you trying to do. If you are just going to watch movies, then that whole paragraph I typed was sort-of a waste. It looks like though by looking at the system specs that there is already a 5570 in the case, so there's not much higher to get than that for low profile.

What I would do is maybe spend a little on a new case and mount everything in it, then try and mount your new graphics card and power supply in that.

If you're not so good with computers.....then.....you might be in a hole on this one.

Thank You, I am trying to look for a graphics card that I can play games with. This helped, thank you again
m
l
August 24, 2013 6:40:16 PM

Hello,

I went thru the same search. As mentioned above with the small case only a low profile card with a fan will fit. A low profile with a heat sink will probably not fit.

I was able to fit N520 GT

http://www.dabs.com/products/msi-geforce-gt-520-810mhz-...

Had it installed for a while now and power supply has not gave out yet.

m
l
!