Sign in with
Your question

Please Rate My Build (FIRST BUILD EVER =D)

Tags:
  • Build
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2012 5:43:00 PM

CPU: i5 2500K
Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 HD Superclocked
PSU: XFX 850W (80watt Bronze rating)
CPU Fan: Hyper 212 Evo
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB 7200RPM
RAM: Ripjaw X 8gb @ 1600 MHz
OD: Asus 24x Dvd RW
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R White

~$1,200 after tax and shipping

I went with the Asrock extreme 4 gen 3 because MicroCenter was offering $50 off any mobo with purchase of a CPU. I figured I'd enjoy the perks of x4 at the price of an x3.

I went with an 850W PSU because I plan on picking up a second gfx card for SLI sometime within the next few months. Not sure if I should grab a second 570 or if I could get away with a less expensive option. Would appreciate your expert advice.

I haven't put the computer together yet. I'm sure as heck looking forward to the weekend XD

I'll post pictures if anyone is interested. =]

More about : rate build build

February 7, 2012 5:50:28 PM

I'm not a fan of single HDD. I woulda gone with a dual 750GB HDD raid or better. Otherwise, I give you a 7 for a mixture of performance and value ^^
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 5:53:24 PM

Lewis, go make a thread of your own. It won't go unanswered. This is kreax's time to shine :D 
edit: wait, are you the same person? Why are you answering comments on kreax's build?

I might have gone with a cheaper HDD, as prices are still ridiculous and I doubt you'll use a terabyte and half, but whatever. You could also have spent far less on the case, but that goes by style. If you like it, it's justified.

SLI only works with two of the same card. You're stuck with 570 SLI, which is beastly.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 6:00:06 PM

You'll need to get another 570 for SLI as the cards need to be the same. You don't necessarily need to get the same brand, but you will have to get the same model.

I'd question getting a mobo that scored that low, to be honest. Go for an MSI, Gigabyte or Asus one instead.

Drop the HDD capacity and throw in an SSD for a snappier system.

Get the Corsar 600D...go on, go on, go on... ;) 
m
l
February 7, 2012 6:01:38 PM

@kajabla I did make a Thread, Its unanswerd :( 
m
l
February 7, 2012 6:03:54 PM

I assure you, I am not Lewis.

Lewis, shameless self-advertising on other people's threads will not help you promote your own. It will only give people reason to ignore you.

ON TOPIC

I agree about prices for HDD, and honestly, I would have gone with a cheaper option, but I will need the space since I like to use FRAPS for video recording.

Figured I'd bite the bullet since I would otherwise have to wait 6 months to a year before everything is stable on the HDD side of things.

I thought I may have to get a second 570 for before purchase and figured it would be worth it in the long run even if that would be my only option.

Thanks everyone! keep the feedback coming! =D
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 6:10:39 PM

A 120gb SSD would be great. I think you'll find yourself lusting after one within a few months, and when that time comes you'll wish you'd done a fresh install on it in the first place. If you can afford it, make that purchase now.
m
l
February 7, 2012 7:32:33 PM

This card down below runs neck and neck with the gtx 570 yet when both are over clocked it mops the floor with the 570 while using less power and less voltage. It's also on a newer die. If you do decide to stick with the 570 (no idea why you would), you want an 850w psu in order to have some juice left over if you decide to add another card later on. A 750w psu can easily push dual 560 ti 448's though.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N560GTX-Ti-448-III-PE/dp/B006... $279.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozer III PE/OC - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cores) PCI-E 16X Graphics Card

A modular psu worth taking a look at.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fully-Modular-80PLUS-Performa... $109.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

A solid and quick storage drive...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $124.99
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-Serial-Intern... $22.88 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Save a few more dollars on your RAM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $41.99 FREE SHIPPING
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH

Faster and less expensive SSD...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $154.99 FREE SHIPPING
ADATA S510 Series AS510S3-120GM-O 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
m
l
February 7, 2012 7:49:15 PM

@kajabla

I was thinking SSD, but I figured it would be better to wait for the product to mature a little more (and hopefully become more affordable). I'll consider it, but will likely hold off on SSD 'til my next build.

@diellur

It's not too late to trade it in. I was okay with going Asrock x4 g3 because I read some decent things about it. That, and it was chosen for the Recommended Buy Award at Tom's Hardware last September.

If anyone has a better recommendation while staying within the same price range, I'd love to hear it.

@Why_Me

The 560ti looks absolutely stunning in terms of value per performance. hmm... I think I may have to pay ~$50 restocking fee if I return my 570 though.

WAIT... so two OC'd 560ti's in SLI beats two OC'd 570's in SLI!?! (O.O) Did I read that correctly? *goes back to check*

I read that Barracuda was having failure issues with their HDD's so I shied away. Otherwise, that would look like a decent deal in today's time.

My ram actually cost about $40. I picked up the 16gb batch for $88 plus 10% off with free 4gb micro sd card. I'm splitting the 16gb with my bro since we are both building machines (also first timer =]). I didn't place this link so as to not confuse people.
m
l
February 7, 2012 7:56:54 PM

kreax said:
@kajabla

I was thinking SSD, but I figured it would be better to wait for the product to mature a little more (and hopefully become more affordable). I'll consider it, but will likely hold off on SSD 'til my next build.

@diellur

It's not too late to trade it in. I was okay with going Asrock x4 g3 because I read some decent things about it. That, and it was chosen for the Recommended Buy Award at Tom's Hardware last September.

If anyone has a better recommendation while staying within the same price range, I'd love to hear it.

@Why_Me

The 560ti looks absolutely stunning in terms of value per performance. hmm... I think I may have to pay ~$50 restocking fee if I return my 570 though.

WAIT... so two OC'd 560ti's in SLI beats two OC'd 570's in SLI!?! (O.O) Did I read that correctly? *goes back to check*

I read that Barracuda was having issues failure issues with their HDD's so I shied away. Otherwise, that would look like a decent deal in today's time.

My ram actually cost about $40. I picked up the 16gb batch for $88 plus 10% off with free 4gb micro sd card. I'm splitting the 16gb with my bro since we are both building separately. I didn't place this link so as to not confuse people.

If you already have the 570 then no need to exchange it.

There's three 560's.

1) 560 which has less cores and is the cheapest of the three.

2) 560 ti which has more cores than the basic 560 ...it's in the middle of the pack

3) 560 ti 448 core which is new on the market and is the top end of the three.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-... <---- review of that 560 ti 448 core. They say it's a limited edition but I seriously don't see Nvidia being stupid enough to yank it off the market. Not when it's selling like hot cakes atm. Nvidia hit a home run with that card. It shines when it comes to over clocking.
m
l
February 7, 2012 8:32:33 PM

Oh wow. I didn't know there was a 448 core 560ti on the market. Thanks, I'll pass this info on to my bro. That way, at least one of us can benefit from the savings.

In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for a ~$200 1155 mobo with sli capabilities and usb 3.0 header that will fit the parts I currently have? I will be OC'ing my CPU, GPU, and RAM.
m
l
February 7, 2012 8:38:56 PM

kreax said:
Oh wow. I didn't know there was a 448 core 560ti on the market. Thanks, I'll pass this info on to my bro. That way, at least one of us can benefit from the savings.

In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for a ~$200 1155 mobo with sli capabilities and usb 3.0 header that will fit the parts I currently have? I will be OC'ing my CPU, GPU, and RAM.

If you don't plan on doing any hard core video editing then this board down below hands down.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $149.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Otherwise this board...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $179.99
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
m
l
February 7, 2012 9:06:22 PM

@Why_Me

Great news! I was wrong about the restocking fee for the 570. 560ti 448 core, here I come! =D

I will look into the mobo's you mentioned. I'm leaning mostly for the ASUS board since Z68 will provide Ivy Bridge support, whereas P67 will not.

Plus, with $50 off at MicroCenter, I'll only be paying $135 for it. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
m
l
February 7, 2012 9:21:53 PM

kreax said:
@Why_Me

Great news! I was wrong about the restocking fee for the 570. 560ti 448 core, here I come! =D

I will look into the mobo's you mentioned. I'm leaning mostly for the ASUS board since Z68 will provide Ivy Bridge support, whereas P67 will not.

Plus, with $50 off at MicroCenter, I'll only be paying $135 for it. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

All 1155 boards will support Ivy Bridge cpu's...even the lowly $60 1155 H61 boards. It's the Gen3 that supports PCI-E 3.0.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <------ See that Asrock P67 extreme4 Gen3 on there?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <---- There's another look at it...it's the same board I posted in my previous post on here.

The only advantage Z68 boards have is the Lucid Virtu for video editing, and some other crap that 90+% of most gamers will never ever use in their life time. If your like me, you start up your PC, check your emails, whatever and then click on a game and go kill peeps. Maybe a few movies and surfing the net along the line.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/overview.html <----- That's a quick look at what: Gen3 boards + Ivy Bridge + PCI-E 3.0 vid cards are all about.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/models.asp <----- Current line up of the Asrock Gen3 boards and what they offer, etc...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 9:32:25 PM

I don't think you're right in saying the the 448 wins when both it and the 570 are OCed. It beats the stock 570 when it's OCed, yes, but I think the more expensive card (which does have a physically better chip) will retake the lead OCed. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it, but that's the only thing the Tom's review showed.
Better value, on the other hand, I'll take.

"As you can see, the GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Core sails past the reference GeForce GTX 570 performance at its stock setting. And while the GTX 570 can also be tweaked to hit higher performance numbers, it's at least good to know that the less expensive 448-core card has the potential to exceed the competitive benchmark numbers posted by Nvidia's GeForce GTX 570 in our other benchmarks."
m
l
February 7, 2012 10:02:57 PM

kajabla said:
I don't think you're right in saying the the 448 wins when both it and the 570 are OCed. It beats the stock 570 when it's OCed, yes, but I think the more expensive card (which does have a physically better chip) will retake the lead OCed. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it, but that's the only thing the Tom's review showed.
Better value, on the other hand, I'll take.

"As you can see, the GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Core sails past the reference GeForce GTX 570 performance at its stock setting. And while the GTX 570 can also be tweaked to hit higher performance numbers, it's at least good to know that the less expensive 448-core card has the potential to exceed the competitive benchmark numbers posted by Nvidia's GeForce GTX 570 in our other benchmarks."

Link me to a non water cooled card that o/c's this well and I'l eat my shorts. :p  Toms used that crappy ghetto Zotac card with crap cooling for it's review. That and the peeps that do the reviews on this site haven't been known to excel in over clocking...whether it be cpu's or gpu's.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-560-ti-44... <------ If only they did 1920x1080 on there. That's that MSI card I linked (over clocked) vs a gtx 580

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_560_Ti_448_C... <---- there's that MSI card again. There's a few more reviews on it also.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 10:11:04 PM

DAMN
I eat my feet.
Go for the 448.

You know you can delete posts? Go into the detailed edit thing and check "remove this post".
m
l
February 7, 2012 10:15:52 PM

kajabla said:
DAMN
I eat my feet.
Go for the 448.

You know you can delete posts? Go into the detailed edit thing and check "remove this post".

Since my first post on this thread...what maybe an hour ago? That card just dropped $10 from $290 to $280.. Now I'm wanting to get it, but how to get that card without my wife finding out.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N560GTX-Ti-448-III-PE/dp/B006... $279.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozer III PE/OC - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cores) PCI-E 16X Graphics Card
m
l
February 7, 2012 11:50:24 PM

You guys are stupendous! This sort of back and forth with actual data based discussions and reasoning is one of the reasons I love Tom's Hardware forums. Just thought I'd point that out.

On Topic

Since the MSI 560ti 448 works so well, I'm guessing it would be reasonable to expect EVGA's 560ti 448 to be amazing too, right? Even though it's $10 more expensive, it comes with a free copy of Batman Arkham City. Which means when I order two, I can sell one for 30-40 bucks.

That and I have a soft spot for EVGA that compels me to give them my money.
m
l
February 8, 2012 12:22:10 AM

kreax said:
You guys are stupendous! This sort of back and forth with actual data based discussions and reasoning is one of the reasons I love Tom's Hardware forums. Just thought I'd point that out.

On Topic

Since the MSI 560ti 448 works so well, I'm guessing it would be reasonable to expect EVGA's 560ti 448 to be amazing too, right? Even though it's $10 more expensive, it comes with a free copy of Batman Arkham Asylum. Which means when I order two, I can sell one for 30-40 bucks.

That and I have a soft spot for EVGA that compels me to give them my money.

The cooling isn't the same on those cards. The MSI over clocks so well because of it's after market cooling/heat sinks and fans.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 12:30:00 AM

Yeah, I would actually go for the Twin Frozr (MSI).
m
l
February 8, 2012 3:42:22 AM

Parts in Discussion:
GPU: MSI GTX 560ti 448 core
Mobo: Asrock p67 Extreme 4 Gen 3
Mobo: Asus Z68-V/GEN3

I bought the 560 ti 448. @Why_Me, the Amazon version STILL comes with a $30 MIR!! So it's actually $249.99!

I'm thinking maybe I should trade in my PSU for something with less wattage and go single card. I already picked up my PSU from a NewEgg Will Call center though, and would rather not return it if I don't have to.

Is it safe/good to have an 850W PSU with a single GPU set-up?

Regarding the Mobo:

i5 + ASUS Mobo (both Microcenter) = $346.92 final
i5 (Microcenter) + Asrock (Amazon) = 345.73 final

Knowing that the total price will be pretty much the same, I am still leaning toward the ASUS mobo. Is there any reason I should go with the Asrock p67?
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:07:15 AM

kreax said:
Parts in Discussion:
Mobo: Asrock p67 Extreme 4 Gen 3

I bought the 560 ti 448. @Why_Me, the Amazon version STILL comes with a $30 MIR!! So it's actually $249.99!

I'm thinking maybe I should trade in my PSU for something with less wattage and go single card. I already picked up my PSU from a NewEgg Will Call center though, and would rather not return it if I don't have to.

Is it safe/good to have an 850W PSU with a single GPU set-up?

Regarding the Mobo:

i5 + ASUS Mobo (both Microcenter) = $346.92 final
i5 (Microcenter) + Asrock (Amazon) = 345.73 final

Knowing that the total price will be pretty much the same, I am still leaning toward the ASUS mobo. Is there any reason I should go with the Asrock p67?

The Asus board for the fact it has a front 3.0 USB header and that Asrock board does not have one. On the psu... 750w will suffice just fine, and an 850w won't hurt either in case you decide to go bigger on the vid cards sometime in the future.

But you said they do the rebate with the Amazon card? Fck ya is all I can say. I am so ordering that card right after I post this.
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:38:35 AM

I decided to stick with the PSU. The extra headroom will leave SLI options in the future, or at least it will hopefully outlast my current build. Besides, I really don't want to deal with returns + the restocking fee. I'll just take this as a lesson for my next build.

For any curious lurkers, this build can be made at least $100 cheaper between the PSU and HDD options, leaving room for a good SSD or a couple HDD's in RAID. I'm expecting this machine to OC like a BOSS with the hyper 212 evo on my cpu and the 260ti 448 core. The case provides solid options for cable management and comes with three 120mm fans, one 200mm side fan for airflow, and front USB 3.0 port.

Final parts:
CPU: i5 2500K
CPU Fan: Hyper 212 Evo
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB 7200RPM
RAM: Ripjaw X 8gb @ 1600 MHz
OD: Asus 24x Dvd RW
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R White

Total Price: ~$1,100 after tax and rebates

Special thanks to @Why_Me and @kajabla.

@Fuyukazehime, would you still rate this build a 7?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 9:58:32 AM

There's no harm in having a PSU that's too powerful. It'll be less efficient under semi-idle conditions, but you'll be using comparatively little power then, so it won't really matter. This looks good. Mobo's still expensive, but it'll work well.
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:24:49 PM

Hi. I've been watching this thread with great interest. I was wondering a few things. First, on a scale from 1 to 10 how hard would you said it would be for someone who is not computer illiterate but definitely a novice to put this system together on their own? Second, would this system be good for someone who's priorities are video conversion and gaming?(in that order) Last but not least what would be the next best GPU for what I'm doing under the one listed here?(is there a big difference between the 560 ti twin III and the 560 twin II?)
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 10:40:38 PM

It depends more on how good you are at reading and following directions. Putting a PC together isn't so hard; you just have to make sure everything's in the right place.

What do you mean by video conversion? From one format to another? If you don't transcode for a living (?), gaming will generally take precedence in hardware choices, so this'd be good.

Twin Frozr II and III are the names of MSI's cooling tech, not of the cards themselves. The next best card is the plain, 384-core 560 Ti, which is a very different card. If you're willing to play around with overclocking, though, the 448-core is a great value, and I recommend that you go that way if you can afford it.

If you want to save money, do it with the case: almost anything over $60 will work fine. Just trawl Newegg and see what catches your eye.
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:43:42 PM

Blackthanos said:
Hi. I've been watching this thread with great interest. I was wondering a few things. First, on a scale from 1 to 10 how hard would you said it would be for someone who is not computer illiterate but definitely a novice to put this system together on their own? Second, would this system be good for someone who's priorities are video conversion and gaming?(in that order) Last but not least what would be the next best GPU for what I'm doing under the one listed here?(is there a big difference between the 560 ti twin III and the 560 twin II?)

The 560 ti would be a step down but is more affordable. To build a system doesn't take much effort these days seeing how youtube has like 1000+ vids on it these days. Something like this down below would allow you to add another one of those cards later on for a dual card set up. The 2600K would be a step up for video editing seeing how it supports hyper threading.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $209.99
GIGABYTE GV-N560UD-1G GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-80PLUS-Bronze-Performance-com... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $121.99
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOX80623I52500K-Core-i5-250... $219.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Intel Core i5-2500K Processor

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10... $24.39 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $41.99 FREE SHIPPING
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-Serial-Intern... $22.88 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:36:41 PM

I'm pretty good at reading directions. It may take me longer than usual but I tend to get the job done..lol. As for video conversion, yes from one format to another. I don't transcode for a living. I asked about the difference in the twins because I was on the phone with Micro Center and the tech said they didn't carry the twin III but they do carry this. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355794 N560GTX-TI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 $229 after rebate. So I was wondering if it's just as good at the twin III or not. If not I will probably just stick with the twin II as you guys have done en excellent job of putting this system together for Kreax. It's actually a little over what I set my budget at but I figure I can still get it and maybe lower some of the price by getting a smaller HD, a lower PSU(like the one Why-me listed), and a cheaper case while maintaining the guts of the system. I am a little nervous about mounting the cooler though. Is a liquid cooler easier to mount than the cooler fan or does that particular cooler come with the thermal paste already applied?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 11:42:21 PM

That is NOT the same card as the twin III. The 560 Ti 384-core and 448-core are totally different animals. One is a decent midrange card, and the other is an overclocking monster.
I don't recommend going lower than 750W on the PSU. You should always leave SLI open as a future option, and the 448-core will use much more power than the normal Ti when overclocked.
Definitely go for the case and HDD to save money, or to redirect it to the 448-core GPU (do it :D ).
All third-party heatsinks that I know of require that you apply your thermal compound yourself. Don't worry, though. It's not too difficult.
For the EVO (Heatpipe Direct Touch): http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:48:07 PM

Ok. Thank you VERY much. I appreciate all the recommendations and help. I'll give this building it myself thing a whirl...lol. I'm very nervous but excited as well.
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:58:14 PM

kajabla said:
There's no harm in having a PSU that's too powerful. It'll be less efficient under semi-idle conditions, but you'll be using comparatively little power then, so it won't really matter. This looks good. Mobo's still expensive, but it'll work well.

@kajabla

I'm getting the mobo for $135, brand new, from Microcenter. They have a deal where if you buy your CPU from them, you get $50 off any mobo. Still think it expensive?

The only problem is that their mobo selection is limited compared to newegg, but hey, if the shoe fits...

Tangent
Initially, I was going to go for the Asrock extreme 3 gen 3, but microcenter doesn't have it in stock. I have no idea why... they must be allergic to making money. When I was there, the guy REALLY wanted to sell me their gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, and would answer my questions about other mobos by talking about the gigabyte mobo, as if gigabyte was a godsend from the mobo world. Suffice it to say, their customer support is pretty horrible... it's a good thing their prices sell the products themselves.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2012 12:01:53 AM

That's the mobo that I've been recommending recently, actually. Cheap for a decent board. If it's $50 off too, go for it.
m
l
February 9, 2012 12:04:25 AM

Hey, at least you get to get the $50 deal. Unfortunately for me it's an in-store only deal. Bummer!
m
l
February 9, 2012 12:46:49 AM

Yeah, and they are out of stock on the i5s. :( 
m
l
February 9, 2012 1:51:13 AM

Already purchased the ASUS board and CPU. TWO MORE DAYS TIL THE WEEKEND! XD Can't wait to put this thing together!

Anyone know if I need to pick up some Arctic Silver? I don't think the 212 Evo comes with thermal paste.

@kajabla, Any recommendations on this front?

@Blackthanos, lol, I have to drive 40 miles to get the $50 deal. Certainly worth the effort though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2012 1:58:10 AM

It comes with paste. Note the tiny syringe on the right in its Newegg out-of-box picture. Don't worry about the various pastes. There isn't more then 2C of difference between the best and worst out there.
m
l
February 9, 2012 2:05:20 AM

@ Kreax I agree with you and would do the same but there isn't a Micro Center within 260 miles of me. I haven't even checked to see what my total is going to be with shipping for everything? Sigh...
m
l
February 9, 2012 2:40:36 AM

Just wanted to say, the Gtx 560 Ti 448 is a LIMITED EDITION card. So hurry and pick two up if you can, cause they'll be out soon and your SLI dreams will go down the drain.

I happen to have a gigabyte 560 Ti 448 and it is an absolute beast :D  (for cheaper too)
m
l
February 9, 2012 3:27:34 AM

EnigmaticPebble said:
Just wanted to say, the Gtx 560 Ti 448 is a LIMITED EDITION card. So hurry and pick two up if you can, cause they'll be out soon and your SLI dreams will go down the drain.

I happen to have a gigabyte 560 Ti 448 and it is an absolute beast :D  (for cheaper too)

My brother will also be picking up an MSI 560 ti 448. If one of us decides to SLI, worst case scenario, we will give the card to the other and pick up a regular SLI ti (or a single OC'd Radeon 7970).

Lol, totally missed the syringe. Glad I don't have to worry about it.
m
l
February 13, 2012 4:18:13 AM

Thank you for everyone that helped me put together this build. It is really, really nice. I put it all together yesterday. Thankfully, no RMA's needed. =]

m
l
February 13, 2012 4:25:26 AM

Congratulations man. It looks great! I am still stuck in a holding pattern for now since my tax refund got delayed until Feb. 22 so I am going crazy waiting to get my stuff..lol. Also now it's given me extra time that I really didn't need to think about possible changes to what I settled on...sigh.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2012 1:42:24 AM

Sweet case.
m
l
!