Where do these plugs go?!!?! Need help ASAP

Hello, as I am typing this, i am building a new PC from scratch. I have everything in, except for my disk drive and my hard drive. After putting in my 400W Diablotek PSU, I plugged in the 24 pin connector, and then 4 pin connector to my MOBO. Now, I am left with 3 different sets of cables that are zip tied into three groups from my psu. Here, I will break them down. Here is a picture of them. http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cables+coming+from+the+psu&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHNV_enUS356&biw=1366&bih=653&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=ZA0QEoeNeteIRM:&imgrefurl=http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/computer-power-supply.html&docid=Obqn3HTk5WwO7M&imgurl=http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/images/computer-power-cables-labeled-2.jpg&w=411&h=294&ei=a4e9T_r-HcaliQK_3ZnIDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=735&sig=108411192237883136336&page=1&tbnh=103&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:93&tx=88&ty=44/url

Set 1: 2 SATA power cables with a 4 pin periphrial power cable

Set 2: 2 4 pin periphrial power cables, 1 floppy drive power cable.

Set 3: Same as set 1, with 2 Sata power cables and a 4 pin periphrial power cable.

Again, the disk drive and hard drive are not in yet, everything else is. I have the 24 pin and the 4 pin power cables plugged into the mobo. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about where plugs asap
  1. The SATA ports would go into the Hard Drive and CD/DVD drive, but depending on how old your hardware is, the Molex (fat cables with 4 pins) will be used instead of SATA.

As for any extras, if they aren't used, there is no need for them.
  2. So, I just leave the fat 4 pin molex out? This is all newer stuff, so i guess they are obsolete now?
  3. ryanrhino24 said:
    So, I just leave the fat 4 pin molex out? This is all newer stuff, so i guess they are obsolete now?

Yup :) if they don't fit into anything, your hardware doesn't need it.
  4. Another question, their is a 4 pin connection on my hard drive what goes there?
  5. I have the sata power cable, and the sata cable in the hard drive, but there is a 4 pin slot next to them
  6. ryanrhino24 said:
    I have the sata power cable, and the sata cable in the hard drive, but there is a 4 pin slot next to them

Ahh I can't think of the name of that at this moment (long day...) but you don't need it :) no worries.
  7. Lol sounds good haha. So I have all the 4 pin periphrials not in use, 2 sata power cables not in use, and one floppy cable not in use. So im really just using the 2 sata power cables from the psu for my hard drive and disk drive, zip tie the rest and call it a day?
  8. ryanrhino24 said:
    So, I just leave the fat 4 pin molex out? This is all newer stuff, so i guess they are obsolete now?

Not quite obsolete, they're still required for peripherals such as water cooling systems or if your case has a front fan controller, for example. You can also plug in adapters and run your case fans directly off the PSU.
  9. Yeah you should be good to go. But be sure to go through a checklist. 4/8 Pin CPU power, 24 Pin Motherboard, Sata power and Sata data cables.

@ pdxalex that's true, but I was just stating the bare essentials, haha.
  10. ryanrhino24 said:
    I have the sata power cable, and the sata cable in the hard drive, but there is a 4 pin slot next to them

Those four pins are only for the drive's jumper, if needed.
  11. pdxalex said:
    Those four pins are only for the drive's jumper, if needed.

JUMPERS! THAT'S THE WORD! :bounce: I couldn't for the life of me remember that...
  12. mocchan said:
    I was just stating the bare essentials, haha.

Oh, I know... just thought I'd mention it.

Trying to make out what's that in your pic, lol... that a bear with paper hat? Oh nevermind... a frog's head?
  13. pdxalex said:
    Oh, I know... just thought I'd mention it.

Trying to make out what's that in your pic, lol... that a bear with paper hat?

It's a little froggy with a paper hat :lol:

Yes! it's a frog! :D
  14. Cool, frogs rule.

Can't believe I first thought it was a bear... it's so obvious now.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cable Power Components